4 stroke outboard oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in s fla, my mechanic said to use 10w40 15w40 20w 40 or 25w40. Using yamajunk now, but plan to change to 15w40. It seems as long as I use something in this range I,m ok. Our weather here is almost always 55 degrees or over. most people I know are using these oils with no problems.

I have a 2000 honda 15hp. I've been using amsoil in it since new, usually use the 0-40 small engine oil, but have used the marine 10-30, 5-30 ss and this year I'm gonna run 5-30 OE.

I hav been using napa 15 40 now for about 40 hrs now, and am pleased. I had what I will call a ticking noise from the top end when cold, now it is gone. May just be that this oil is better than expensive Yamajunk. Will do an oli analisys soon, and post it. WE WILL SEE.

Last edited:
For high powered four-stroke engines there is FC-W. This oil provides protection during cold starts. It also support in operating engine with heavy loads. This oil is very good for resisting the foaming at high speeds because foaming degrade the oil lubricity.

I have done a lot of research, and most FWC 4 stroke oils are re-badged diesel oils. They have all of the additives that the FWC oils have. The main thing a 4stroke outboard needs are zinc and corosion protection. The 4 stroke outboards are flat tappet engines, even though they are overhead cam. Save some money and use Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, or Chevron Delo. Do a virgin oil analisys on these oils and you will find they match the FWC oils. All these oils are 15-40 so there is protection for cold starts. Most engines require a 15-40 or 10-40.

Last edited:
The f115 holds 4.5 qts. I have been using NAPA 15-40 universal fleet oil and not a problem. Oil analisis came back fine. Yamaha wants $60 for an oil change kit I buy the oil and filter at NAPA for about $28. And this engine lives at 5000rpm most of the time!

You can put Mobil 1 into your engine, however I choose to use regular dino oil and change the oil often.

The Universal Oil is also a diesel oil, like Rotella or Delo. These oils are used every day in mega hour usage in offshore fishing boats in Flordia, and they're getting thousands of hours out of their motors. The good thing about diesel oil is that it's very, very cheap.

While it is not to be used in any 4 stroke engine with a catalytic converter, diesel oil is just great for marine use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back