4 Routers Tried, Mostly Slow ONLY on WIFI. Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pete made me think of something I forgot about. The speed test server you connect to can also play a large part in your speed results. Speedtest.net always automatically connects me to a server that isn't the closest to me (miles and ping), and that I always get mediocre results with.

I did a bunch of speed tests to various servers with my phone on my desk in the first image, and then a couple more speed tests with my desktop pc directly wired to my router. All the servers in the first image are somewhat close to me, CT, MA, NY, PA. I have comcast/xfinity, and my advertised download speeds are 105Mbps, not sure what advertised upload is, based off the speed tests probably 15Mbps.

A month ago I had to downgrade from a netgear wnr3500 that I had borrowed from comcast for years since its performance really started to decline. The new netgear wnr1000 they gave me a month ago only has 10/100 ethernet instead of 10/100/1000 ethernet, so I didn't expect to hit 105mbps directly wired to the router.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Subdued
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

MAC filtering has its place (like controlling device access for spanning different VLAN's for example, enforcing port access policies on a switch or in an EDU/Healthcare/Corporate environment WRT restricting physical network access at the access port level..etc) but its usefulness in a home environment is close to zero unless you have physical ethernet ports that could be accessible to somebody walking by your house
wink.gif

LOL

MAC filtering is FANTASTIC for getting lazy teenagers to do their chores.

LOL! I could see that! I'd just shut down the SSID they are on though, way easier
grin.gif

MAC filtering is easier than dealing with an angry smartphone-addicted wife!

That is a "N" speed router, but it is 2.4 GHz only.

I would get a "N" speed, with 2.4 and 5 GHz.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZWL1ZE

On "N" speed right now, at 5GHz.

This is why I recommend a simultaneous dual band wireless "N" router, with gigabit ports on the back....
The Linksys EA2700 meets these requirements.

Careful, some of these USB dongles are USB 3.0 devices....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
That is a "N" speed router, but it is 2.4 GHz only.

I would get a "N" speed, with 2.4 and 5 GHz.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZWL1ZE

On "N" speed right now, at 5GHz.

This is why I recommend a simultaneous dual band wireless "N" router, with gigabit ports on the back....
The Linksys EA2700 meets these requirements.

He bought this one:

http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/products/routers/ea4500

(it is on the 2nd page of the thread)

Originally Posted By: Linksys

Model:
Linksys EA4500
Technology:
Wireless-N
Bands:
Simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz
Transmit/Receive:
3 x 3
Antennas:
6 internal
Ports x Speed:
4 x Gigabit
IPv6 Support:
Native IPv6 and 6rd support
Cisco Connect Software:
Yes, App Enabled
Setup:
Cisco Connect CD Install
Warranty:
2 year hardware limited warranty

Yes, but the other end of the wireless is only 2.4GHz ....

The EA4500 is very very nice, but both ends of the horse needs to be at the same speed...

Last edited:
Yes, but the other end of the wireless is only 2.4GHz ....

The EA4500 is very very nice, but both ends of the horse need to be at the same speed...

Yeah, but he's using it on USB 2.0 on an old laptop. He can't utilize the added speed of 5.0Ghz on it anyways.

You commented on the router, which was what I responded to. If we are talking about the adapter, that's another topic. But I believe I just covered that adequately
smile.gif

5 GHz is not a speed, its a wireless band (width).

"N" is a speed...

My laptop is from 2009, XP SP3, and it runs "N" at 5 GHz...

Last edited:
5 GHz is not a speed, its a wireless band (width).

"N" is a speed,

*facepalm"

5Ghz offers a broader range of speeds than 2.4 does.

And 5Ghz is a frequency. A higher frequency than 2.4Ghz.

My laptop is from 2009, XP SP3, and it runs "N" at 5 GHz...

That's wonderful, but I'm not sure what that has to do with his USB network adapter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

"To achieve maximum output, a pure 802.11n 5 GHz network is recommended. The 5 GHz band has substantial capacity due to many non-overlapping radio channels and less radio interference as compared to the 2.4 GHz band.[7] An 802.11n-only network may be impractical for many users because they need to support legacy equipment that still is 802.11b/g only. In a mixed-mode system, an optimal solution would be to use a dual-radio access point and place the 802.11b/g traffic on the 2.4 GHz radio and the 802.11n traffic on the 5 GHz radio.[8] This setup assumes that all the 802.11n clients are 5 GHz capable, which isn't a requirement of the standard. Quite a few wifi-capable devices only support the 2.4 GHz and there is no practical way to upgrade them to support 5 GHz"

Yes, I'm aware of that. Hopefully you are aware of the speed limit of USB 2.0. I'm guessing that's a no though......

His iPad (which includes 5Ghz support) will benefit from the added potential speed available on the 5Ghz channel(s). Because its adapter is built-in.

His laptop, which is hindered by the speed of the BUS, and the fact that it is using a USB 2.0 interface to make that connection isn't going to benefit from the added expense of a dual-band adapter. He's able to run into the limitations of the BUS on 2.4Ghz, so adding 5.0Ghz compatibility provides no benefit unless he's going to be using it where the only service offered is 5.0Ghz (unlikely).

Dual problems here, both the speed and the range.

First, the original network adapter was "G".
Second, its is not reaching into the other rooms.

Just increasing the speed will not solve the range problem.

5Ghz has greater throughput than 2.4 also...

Last edited:

Ok so what is the point here?

Turk is using it on a old laptop with usb 2.0 and that tp-link adapter is faster than his internet speed?

also 5ghz has poor wall penetration and can have significantly shorter range than 2.4ghz... Which means your post is exactly ? Wrong?

The TP-link adapter should be more than adequate for his use.

Not to mention his budget was small for this.

Last edited:
Turk has increased the speed (from 'G" to "N"), but not solved the range or bandwidth congestion problems.

The router bought does 2.4 and 5GHz, the USB dongle does only 2.4 GHz.

USB 2.0 has a max of 480 Mbit/s, however due to bus access constraints, the effective throughput of the High Speed signaling rate is limited to 35 MB/s or 280 Mbit/s

Last edited:
Turk has increased the speed (from 'G" to "N"), but not solved the range or bandwidth congestion problems.

The router bought does 2.4 and 5GHz, the USB dongle does only 2.4 GHz.

Again:
5ghz has shorter range than 2.4ghz

what bandwidth congestion problem? The new router is working fine, a wireless N adapter will fix the speed problem from 16mbit to faster than his internet connection..

You really should read(and comprehend) the whole thread before posting "Help".

He has no range problems. He was having speed issues 10ft from the router. That was the router.

Yes, we determined that. And no, it wasn't a problem reaching the other rooms. If you read his original post, he could be directly beside it and experienced massive bandwidth fluctuations.

It reaches the other rooms fine. What he is running into currently is the limitations of his integrated Wireless G adapter at this point, which appears to top out at 17Mbit. That's not the case for his iPad, which, in the same locations in the house, has no problem pegging the internet connection.

He didn't have a range problem. Go back and read the OP. It was fluctuating from 1.5Mbit to 17Mbit when he was sitting beside the router!

I already said that! But it is irrelevant if you are limited to the throughput of USB2.0, which he will be with the new adapter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back