4 Routers Tried, Mostly Slow ONLY on WIFI. Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Turk:

That one should be fine. Are they giving you a stand-alone modem to use with your new router or will they at least convert your current modem/router into a bridge for you so you aren't doing serial NAT? Something to be aware of.

Set it up with WPA2/AES with a decent passphrase and you'll be be fine. Also, make sure channel selection under the wireless is set to "AUTO", as that allows the device to perform a site survey and choose the least congested channel.

He left me a Cisco DPC3008 Modem.

I'll get the router that I bought on Saturday.

OVERKILL, with 3 new Netgear routers already tried, do you think this Linksys will be better? Have you heard about these situations before?

Thank you.

you would need to list the netgear models turk.

a model such as the netgear R7000 is going to be vastly superior to something in the 20-50$ range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
you would need to list the netgear models turk.

a model such as the netgear R7000 is going to be vastly superior to something in the 20-50$ range.

I think they were Nergear95.

There's a Netgear R6300V2 AC in there now and it's more of the same.

http://support.netgear.com/product/r6300v2

At this point, do not throw anymore money on equipment. Sounds like you have more than enough equipment to figure this out. You just need someone there who understands WiFi better. Case in point, in my situation aluminum foil was all it took to reliable Wifi to a room in my home AND I was able to reduce antenna power to get a better signal overall.

The shape of the signal coming out of the wireless is a doughnut, so standing next to it could get you the least noise, but not the strongest signal. You can reshape it into a bubble, by making a simple parabolic antenna from aluminum foil or even a large aluminum coffee can cut in half.

You can also use alumimum foil on a large cardboard to block strong Wifi signals from interfering into your home. Some mirrors also work.

Both of those techniques are best done if you have something to survey the Wifi around you. Like others have mentioned, download WiFi Analyzer on your Android device to see how bad/good things are. Best of luck.

Last edited:

MAC filtering has its place (like controlling device access for spanning different VLAN's for example, enforcing port access policies on a switch or in an EDU/Healthcare/Corporate environment WRT restricting physical network access at the access port level..etc) but its usefulness in a home environment is close to zero unless you have physical ethernet ports that could be accessible to somebody walking by your house
wink.gif

LOL

MAC filtering is FANTASTIC for getting lazy teenagers to do their chores.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Turk:

That one should be fine. Are they giving you a stand-alone modem to use with your new router or will they at least convert your current modem/router into a bridge for you so you aren't doing serial NAT? Something to be aware of.

Set it up with WPA2/AES with a decent passphrase and you'll be be fine. Also, make sure channel selection under the wireless is set to "AUTO", as that allows the device to perform a site survey and choose the least congested channel.

He left me a Cisco DPC3008 Modem.

I'll get the router that I bought on Saturday.

OVERKILL, with 3 new Netgear routers already tried, do you think this Linksys will be better? Have you heard about these situations before?

Thank you.

Yeah, and it ended up being the wireless card in the laptop
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Subdued

MAC filtering has its place (like controlling device access for spanning different VLAN's for example, enforcing port access policies on a switch or in an EDU/Healthcare/Corporate environment WRT restricting physical network access at the access port level..etc) but its usefulness in a home environment is close to zero unless you have physical ethernet ports that could be accessible to somebody walking by your house
wink.gif

LOL

MAC filtering is FANTASTIC for getting lazy teenagers to do their chores.

LOL! I could see that! I'd just shut down the SSID they are on though, way easier
grin.gif

Net Stumbler says "No wireless adapter found" on the bottom of the window.

But I do have an internal wireless adapter and it says it is "working properly".

So, what's up with that??

This from your OP:

The high speeds are usually on the iPad, but the computer runs 5-9 Mbps

Would point to it being a wireless card issue on the laptop. It may just be rate limited or could do with a driver update. It may be something stupid. Or you may need a new card.

Send me a PM, I'll take a peek at it.

This from your OP:

The high speeds are usually on the iPad, but the computer runs 5-9 Mbps

Would point to it being a wireless card issue on the laptop. It may just be rate limited or could do with a driver update. It may be something stupid. Or you may need a new card.

Send me a PM, I'll take a peek at it.

Will do. But sometimes the iPad is slow too.
Terribly inconsistent
crazy2.gif

I haven't read all of the replies here; but the first thing that comes to mind is this: There are 11 channels through which your device and a router communicate. I think the router and the client systems "negotiate" their connections and choose one of those channels at connection-time, unless you've specified otherwise in the router's settings. If someone nearby has a router - especially a powerful one - that is using the same channel(s) frequently as yours, your two connections may be stepping on each other's you-know-whats.

From time to time I get kicked off of my connection by my router and I believe it is due to this interference from nearby. By simply turning my WiFi off and back on I get back in business at full speed; until I ain't again!

Lots of possibilities for what's going on.. What type of network adapter (brand/model) is being used on the computer getting the slow speeds? What type of walls and how many walls are there between the wireless router and the computer? Are there any exterior/garage facing walls, or bathroom walls that could have cement board in them? I don't think there is a router problem, or a configuration problem. I think the problem is either the wireless network adapter, or the wireless signal path.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Lots of possibilities for what's going on.. What type of network adapter (brand/model) is being used on the computer getting the slow speeds? What type of walls and how many walls are there between the wireless router and the computer? Are there any exterior/garage facing walls, or bathroom walls that could have cement board in them? I don't think there is a router problem, or a configuration problem. I think the problem is either the wireless network adapter, or the wireless signal path.

It's an internal wireless network adapter and is working properly. We know it is not the computer as the iPad Air does it as well. It doesn't matter if I'm right by it or a wall or two away.

I'll get my own Linksys router in a couple days and we'll go from there.
smile.gif

In the first post you say your old netgear router/modem. So does that mean the Cisco modem the tech left is a new modem, and not the same modem you've always been using?

Originally Posted By: sxg6
In the first post you say your old netgear router/modem. So does that mean the Cisco modem the tech left is a new modem, and not the same modem you've always been using?

Old one was a modem/router combo.

He left me a new stand-alone modem to go with whatever router I choose.

My Linksys router came in the mail today!!
Trying it soon!

New Linksys installed!! I let the CD do the entire set-up.

Plugged in, I get 67 Mbps.

With WIFI and 1 Drywall, 2 Drywalls, or a Refrigerator in the way, I get 16-17 Mbps.
With nothing in the way and 3 feet away, I get 16-17 Mbps.

It doesn't matter where I go or what I block it with, it's consistent.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Sorry if this was covered before, but how exactly are you measuring these speeds?

OOKLA -- speedtest.charter.com

OK. And what speed is your wireless network interface showing in Windows? 54 Mbps or something higher than that? If you're on 2.4 GHz wireless G, then you're probably just maxing out your wifi connection.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OK. And what speed is your wireless network interface showing in Windows? 54 Mbps or something higher than that? If you're on 2.4 GHz wireless G, then you're probably just maxing out your wifi connection.

Yup, we just discussed that via PM. It's at least consistent now and not dropping down to 1.5Mbit, 2.5Mbit....etc. He's looking at getting a new adapter now
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back