$4-a-gallon gas forecast in some areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChromiumSteel
We've got to reduce our demand.

Fuels fuel the economy of freedom.

It does so in the rest of the world too.

The global demand it also continuing to rise, so that's still going to drive up prices. With European's paying $7 a gallon, they aren't changing.

First, we need to drill where we know oil is at, and get it out and refine it efficiently. Next, food is food. It is not fuel.

Diversification (and monopoly busting) is the key to lower energy prices. If you depend on one source of energy for a large portion of your needs, and that one source is owned by a monopoly or oligopoly, that group will use its leverage to completely take over every aspect of the economy. Remember how Middle Eastern companies were buying up port facilities in the US? The car makers might be their next interest. If that happens, you can guess what will happen to average fuel economy.

Most people don't buy a small car to save fuel they just drive more because they think they can afford it.
I can't believe all the whining over the price of gas you drive to the bar and spend 20 bucks on drinks then complain about the cost of gas.

Originally Posted By: SD26
... With European's paying $7 a gallon, they aren't changing.

Well, that's only half true. The Europeans "changed" a long time ago. Their "private fleet" is far more efficient than ours. Their cars tend to be smaller, the percentage of diesels is far greater than here, the haven't been sold vast numbers of "commuter pickups and SUVs".

It's not just oil speculation, it's partly a result of the devaluing of the US Dollar currency.

I always said it would take 5.00 per gallon to get people to seriously look at their habits. Still, at 5.00 per gallon, compared to 2.50 per gallon; if you get 25 mpg average and drive 15,000 miles per year, that's only 1500.00 more for fuel per year...125.00 more per month, or about 4.00 per day. If you don't have 4.00 extra per day to spend on fuel, you're living above your means...ah, but, this is "America...land of the free-spending and hardly saving anything".

One less Starbucks visit a day solves the search for 4.00. I'm just not feeling sorry for us as a nation. We didn't learn sufficiently from the opportunities to learn this lesson in the 1970's, so, we are repeating the course. We're one of the richest nations on earth, and we scream like spoiled children when we don't get to play like we want to play.

I drive about 60,000 miles a year for work, and chose a vehicle with a Ford Modular 4.6 engine. I average over 25 mpg, and, if I keep the speed to 65 maximum, I get just over 29 mpg, I'm comfortable, relatively safe, and it is reliable. It only cost me 12,000.00. 5.00 per gallon fuel is insignificant to my lifestyle, due to this vehicle choice, as well as my other choices in life. However, for those that are truly frugal and still feeling the pain, I feel sorry for those....however, if you are someone that is paying for an internet provider so that you can read this...you aren't being truly frugal...you'd need to be in a library where you get free internet access.

I hope we learn The Lesson now...but, I'm too experienced to really think that, as a nation, we'll be any smarter this time around. The best strategy is to be smart enough to learn It for yourself and your family, and act on your knowledge.

I saw on the news that the Governor of California flys home every day in his private twin engine jet at a cost of
$ 30,000.00 per day.
Most here don't seem to realize it but some CAN actually afford to drive a vehicle of our choice and will not be buying a skateboard.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: mikered30
Anyone think that $4 a gallon will get people to change the way they drive?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/energy/2008-03-11-oil-tuesday_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

7 years ago it was forcasted that $2 a gallon would affect the way we drive. 4-5 years ago is was forcasted that $3 a gallon would affect they way we drive.
Consumption is up, apparently it did affect the way we drive, the wrong way. Until we run out it will not really have an affect like it did during the 70's. I still see more SUVs then compact cars.

Unfortunately, that's all too true. A few people have changed, but not very many.

I decided to make an investment in saving money. I paid $1100 for a 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250 that's rated between 55 and 70 mpg. Between the fuel savings from my 19 mpg car and the enjoyment the bike gives me, it's a win-win. Add less emissions per mile and it's a win-win-win. It's not like the $1100 is out the window, as I'd likely re-coup most or all of it if I decide to sell it. So, I enjoy my commute more, I can drive for weeks on $12 worth of gas, I pollute less, and the wear and tear on my car drops to 0 (which admittedly is more important to me than most people).

My annual cost for gas in the car to be around $1456. (8000 miles per year @ 19mpg X 3.46 per gallon) For the bike, driven the same amount of miles is $445 (8000 miles per year @ 55mpg X 3.06 per gallon). Insurance is $180 a year, so I'm coming out ahead. Bike Maintenance $ < Car maintenance $, I again come out ahead.

Anyone who is in a position to feasibly drive a tiny vehicle to and from work, to and from the grocery store, etc. should seriously consider it. Even if you don't save a dime, you're still polluting less.

How about a bicycle? I have four. Make that five...one never gets off the trainer. Having this many bikes is yet another example of being spoiled, but, I do ride a bicycle whenever I can. Also have a Motorcycle that I use for as many errands as I can.

Originally Posted By: Black Bart
I can't believe all the whining over the price of gas you drive to the bar and spend 20 bucks on drinks then complain about the cost of gas.

I'd have to do that literally every night to have it equal my gas bill. We spend near $100 a week on a normal week and that is with a combined mpg in the high twenties between our cars and the cheapest gas in the nation.

Obviously it hurts other people a lot more, though. I remember trying to pay for gas in my college years was tough even though in the late eighties/early nineties the old-car fleet was pretty fuel efficient, meaning there were lots of '70's economy cars around. Now the old-car fleet is less fuel efficient so you get lots of younger people driving relative guzzlers, and gas costs three times as much.

For me it's not a great hardship, but we definitely notice. Lots of people must be having a really hard time with it though.

My boss schleps his '07 Silverado Crew Cab into work every day, with a 108 mile round trip. I don't know how he can stand to [censored] that much money away. It seems even with the initial purchase, licensing, insurance, etc. he could eventually break even with a car that gets twice the MPG.

$4 a gallon AND maxed-out credit cards will get people to change the way they drive.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

$4 a gallon AND maxed-out credit cards will get people to change the way they drive.

B-)

Sad, but, oh so true!

$4 a gallon is just what the doctor ordered. Theres to much excess in consumption. Too many people living 30 min or more away from work and too many people driving something that uses more fuel than it needs too.

This will hopefully make the long run correction that has been needed for so long.

Got rid of my beloved Tacoma 4x4 and a Saturn VUE V-6 and switched to two sub 2 liter 4 cylinders to save on gas. It was very hard at first to make the switch because I particularly was very fond of the Tacoma, but the cost of gas will get crazy expensive in the near future.

Go ahead and take the four cylinder plunge folks. It is hard at first, but you'll get used to it. It's not so bad.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Got rid of my beloved Tacoma 4x4 and a Saturn VUE V-6 and switched to two sub 2 liter 4 cylinders to save on gas. It was very hard at first to make the switch because I particularly was very fond of the Tacoma, but the cost of gas will get crazy expensive in the near future.

Go ahead and take the four cylinder plunge folks. It is hard at first, but you'll get used to it. It's not so bad.

What you get for replacement and how do they drive. I have a 92 corolla so I can't downsize anymore. I am thinking about getting a scooter though.

Got an 8 year old Saturn SL 1.9 5-speed, no PL, no PW, but the little plastic car has character. It is ugly, small, underpowered, but it gets 40+ mpg. I use this one to travel to the construction sites I go to all over the country. The nice thing is that the engine design is very simple. I can do most everything to the engine myself. Everything is easy to get to and change.

Just bought an 08' Corolla CE for the wife, and so far we both love the vehicle. It runs smoothly, takes bumps well, and has more leg and head room than one would think from its outside appearance. The car is in desperate need of telescoping steering wheel, which is something they addressed on the 09's evidently.

The next downgrade in size will be to a 650 motorcycle I plan on buying this Spring. My plan is to drive the motorcycle during summer/fall. Then if I downgrade again, I want me a segway scooter!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back