4.6L 2V compression test results high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I was replacing the plastic intake manifold on my 4.6L 2V, I borrowed equipment from a friend to do an engine compression test after the new intake was installed. The results seemed too high, and as this was the first time I did this, I didn't think much of it. This was in October '11 with 266,922 km (166,826 miles) on the clock:

#1: 196
#2: 200
#3: 198
#4: 200
#5: 200
#6: 200
#7: 200
#8: 196

Just wondering if these are acceptable to someone with experience, or if they really are high. This was just brought up during a conversation with someone today, who said 150 is the average, and there probably was a problem with the gauge. For the record, I did this when the engine was hot with all the plugs out and the ignition coils removed. Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Whatever the real values, the consistencty from cylinder to cylinder is excellent unless the gauge is pegging.

It's unlikely that the compression is too high. Over the years cranking compression has been climbing, so I'm not surprised to see it there. In fact many 4 cylinder engines I've done have been in that range. Like Boomer said, consistency cylinder to cylinder is what is important and you've definitely got that.

If you're still concerned, get a factory manual and look it up, but also remember that gauges will vary. For example, my gauge seems to read higher than most.

If you feel the need to check again use a different gauge. The numbers seem a bit high, nothing to worry about though. The consistency from cylinder to cylinder is excellent, and really what matters here. They're within about 2% of each other which is very good, and why I would probably check again with another gauge. LOL

Unless that compression tester was designed by the Ford engineers that also designed their numb oil pressure gauges, as far as variance those are outstanding readings, generally a 15-20% variance is acceptable...

I'd think readings are approx 20-30psi high, but that's far better than being low... A high reading is generally because of carbon build up in the cylinders, as long as you don't have a spark knock/detonation problem, life is good...

My Saturn's compression was 196 194 195 196 its got 193,000 when I tested it. I think your numbers are good. Could be q little carbon just run a can of seafoam. But I think you have nothing to worry about.

This can be very normal, nowadays.
Even turbo engines, which historically had low compression, are very high now. Tuning and variable cam timing account for this.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. According to the Ford Service Manual, apparently it is possible to have compression readings of 200 and higher. I suppose there won't be any harm done to check again with another gauge.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back