.357 Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my Ruger Security 6 the Foot Pounds of energy was approx
525 from a 3 inch barrel. What would it be in a Winchester
Model 1873? Not sure about the barrel length. Thanks

I think about 1100, and far superior in game ability to the M1 Carbine, as the bullet diameter and weight are greater. Your rifle will take deer reliably if you do your part.

I had a drilling I have since sold, a Stevens 20 guage under a .357 and by using reloads, I was able to get 2,400+ ft/sec velocities easy with minimal pressure increases.

I did not calculate remaining energies at various distances, but the velocities were measured with a Crony.

I wish I had NOT sold that drilling.

Originally Posted By: bobbob
In my Ruger Security 6 the Foot Pounds of energy was approx
525 from a 3 inch barrel. What would it be in a Winchester
Model 1873? Not sure about the barrel length. Thanks

I calculate around 400ft/lbs with a 3" barrel @ 35,000 psi with either a 158 or 125 grain bullet.

With a 16" barrel you will get around 1100ft/lbs.

With a 20" barrel ~1200ft/lbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I had a drilling I have since sold, ...

I wish I had NOT sold that drilling.

Are you referring to the German 3 barrel "Dreiling" gun?

There's a site, I think "Ballistics by the inch", where they take a single shot barrel, fire a round and get a baseline--then lop an inch off, remeasure velocity. Repeat until 2" left or something. 357Mag does pick up some velocity out of a rifle.

There's a site where a bunch of people took some H&R single shot 357Mags, and converted to 357Maximum. That looks pretty interesting to me. I forget where I read this (TTAG?), but in a rifle 357Mag in its hottest loads can get up to a "weak" 30-30; and 357Mag can trump the 30-30 (at least out to 100 yards--then the 30-30 wins, as it doesn't shed speed as fast).

Oops, as I read my last post, I meant to say that "357Max can trump the 30-30".

I haven't had the pleasure of running a lever action just yet. I got a 22lr pump a while back, and prefer my 22lr bolt over that. That seems odd to me, but I'm an odd duck after all. Ruger recently introduced a 357Mag bolt action rifle, I believe it has a removable 5 round magazine (stupid work filters!). I'm mildly intrigued, but probably would not buy one new (used maybe), might prefer over a comparably priced lever action.

Last edited:
On the Marlin Owners forum, the 1894C is hailed as "A Utility Arm Supreme", and I can't argue it one bit. The .357 can shoot .38 Specials as well. Most defense/hunting loads almost double their energy with a longer tube, up to about 20 inches. Easy and inexpensive to reload or find ammo readily. Light to carry, quick to the shoulder, fast to work when broken in. The only real weakness is the sights. I replaced mine with an XS ghost ring and WOW is it good with my eyes. Because it holds nine + 1, and can be topped off, I think it's better than the boltie for defensive purposes. It isn't an assault rifle, but who expects to be taking on an Infantry squad?

Quote:
Are you referring to the German 3 barrel "Dreiling" gun?

No, this was a Stevens over and Under. Shotgun bottom barrel and .357 rifle barrel on top. I had the chamber reamed to accept Maximum cartridges.

Great Deer gun.

The term "drilling" was applied to these guns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back