3 on the tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, lets see how many know what the words mean.

OK, quiz time--- a couple of fairly popular imports that had 4 on a tree. I owned one, my neighbor owned the other.

I never have. Always wanted to, but they were LONG gone as DD's up here by the time I started driving.

Driven lots of '5 on the floor' cars....lol!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I never have. Always wanted to, but they were LONG gone as DD's up here by the time I started driving.

Bummer. I aquired a 69 Chevelle in the early 90's that was a 2 door with a straight-6 and a 3 on the tree. I miss that car
frown.gif

Long story short. I put a 302 Chevy in it with a stock hydraulic cam and a 2bbl Rochester carb. With the 3 on the tree and 3.08 gears that thing ran 14.47 in the 1/4 mile and got 22mpg on the hwy.

Originally Posted By: defektes
those the cars with manual transmissions shifter near the wheel instead of on the floor?

Yep.

My Maverick was a 3 on the tree before I put the 302/C4 combo in it.

OK, we got several candidates for 4 on a tree, mercedes, toyota...I bet some english cars should be added here also.

I owned a Fiat 1100, my neighbor owned a Pugeot 404, both 4 on a tree. On the Fiat 1st was where "reverse" is on a 3 speed, reverse was found by pushing straight in, then down. Park against a wall, leave the keys in it, nobody could steal it because they would never find reverse!

OK, my first car was a modern 41 Plymouth, with 3 on the tree. My buddies had 30's cars with floor shifters, they seemed terribly crude and outdated!

Learned to drive an R16 with 4 on the tree.

First registered job, the work ute was a falcon with 3 on the tree. Clunky, and rubbish compared to the Renault.

(I think the 16TX in Europe had 5 on the tree)

The clunky GM/Ford/Chrysler ones in Oz were rubbish (but so were their gated 4 speeds on the floor).

The Europeans used much more like a regular transmission shift linkage is today, with the gates and stuff in the box.

hey chris, been awhile... good to see you still around the intraweb! three on a tree? havent driven one since a 60's something ford ranchero with a 170cu straight 6, and that was back in the early 80s late 70's?

Wasn't some of the older Saab's 4 on the column? Probably not the Sonnet, but the more common (whatever it was) model??

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The clunky GM/Ford/Chrysler ones in Oz were rubbish (but so were their gated 4 speeds on the floor).

Early ones weren't too bad,but the HQ and XA were really bad when they came out.It was very common for them to hang up in 1st with the lever in neutral.I used to go on plenty of breakdowns for that - just open the bonnet and pull it out of gear manually.Holden's fix was to supply a rear wheel bearing retainer ring - this was jammed up under the linkage and held in place with a PK screw.This took most of the play out of the linkage and made it work sort of better.Their floor changes were just linkages on the floor...worse than a column change.

The best 3 on the tree to drive was the Ford Zephyr MkI and MkII,solid and finger tip shifting.The English 4 on the tree were sometimes good,spring loaded in the gate,so you just pushed the lever up into 3rd without going through the gate - sort of a straight line column shift.

Never drove a pre-70 column shift, but neighbour had an FC ute, that looked (never ran) better than than the XB ute at work.

My LJ (4 speed), I used to put it in first, then bash the lever across to the 3rd position as an anti-theft feature.

When I was in high school, a bloke had a Maverick (LHD, in RHD Oz).

Scared the carp out of me when he "ducked out" to check for overtaking, and I was an extra half car out on wrong side of the road.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

My LJ (4 speed), I used to put it in first, then bash the lever across to the 3rd position as an anti-theft feature.

One shop where I worked we had a Holden One Tonner tow truck (manual winch).The gearshifts give so much trouble we turned it into a twin stick - with a separate reverse lever.So to get reverse you put the gearlever into neutral,then put the reverse lever into gear.All us workshop guys knew how to drive it - but if the office girl took it to do the banking,we were sure to get a call.She would put it into reverse with the main lever in gear,or leave it in reverse and select 1st...either way put it in two gears and locked the box.We would have to go out and jack up one wheel to unload the box to get it out of gear.

I had an old Suburban with a 3 on the tree, and a Ford Granada with a 3 on the tree. The linkage got so sloppy on the Suburban that I had to cut a hole in the floor and install a Hurst shifter. Glad they had a kit for the conversion.

The 3 on the tree was pretty cool, talk about a long throw, oh boy. It was good for seating 3 people in the front of your car.

My grandfather, who didn't trust those "automatic things" special ordered a 70 Impala with a 350 and a three on a tree. Chevy called him to confirm the special order because it cost more than the standard a/t.
All my early Broncos were on the tree too, converted every one to the floor. They were easy to drive if, and maybe I should put IF in capitals, the linkage was right. It was a lot of monkey motion from the steering column to the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back