#3 Lithium-based grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a demolition hammer that specifies #3 Lithium-based grease. I have not found any so far. Is there much difference compared to the #2 grease? or where is a good source for the #3? I am tempted to use the #2 grease I have for the truck, but have not yet. What advice do you have?
Thanks, Ken

#3 is hard to find and you may have to buy a 35# pail of it if you try a #2 get one that uses the highest vis base oil if you have a choice and use one that has moly.
bruce

the base oil and ep additives are going to be the same between the two grades, or at least not be different enough to be of any significance. the only difference is the thickener consistency, the nlgi #3 is just a harder grease and will be more apt to stay in place for a given application. but like the old saying, any grease is better than no grease at all. give #2 a try, just don't be surprised if you get a lot of leakage or it pushes out the area of lubrication and it goes dry faster than usual- i'm not familiar with demolition hammers so i really can't tell you what to expect. but the fact that all that's specified is lithium based grease says it doesn't need anything special. if you decide to go buy grease for the hammer, having to go with a #2 grease because of lack of availability of #3, you might want to try aluminum complex grease. it might be more apt to stay in place over a #2 lithium which i think tends to be more fluid.

NO what I ment was if you have a choice of various Number 2 greaes use the one with the higher vis base oil it will work better as far as "stick" and with pounding, Base oil vis varys a lot with who ever makes the grease about any vis thin to thick can be a #3 or # 2 grade by varying the thickener ontent.
bruce

I have a Harbor Freight Tool #93853 demolition hammer. It is not expensive, but should work for the light use I use it for. The grease is inserted into the top of the hammer, so it must be for the interior parts of the hammer. It specs out the #3 grease, which I have not found yet. I prefer not to damage it, so this is what the grease is for. The top does seal after filling with grease, so I may use Mobil 1 #2 grease in the tube. any more suggestions? Thanks, Ken

Check the Lubriplate site. They have at least one #3 (gear grease), several #2.5's, and air hammer grease (but its #2).

It's amazing how many greases they make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back