2cycle carb tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought an new husky trimmer, and after it breaks in a bit i will need to ajust the carb. It takes a splined tool that i have found on amazon for $55.00 !!! Anyone know of a less expensive source? i would have to get the screws out to cut slots with a dremel, so i need the tool.

Blue butt splice used for wire on the end of a small standard screwdriver can work. I have splined carb screws on mine and it works just fine.

I don't know if it works on the other types of screws you might find.

Certainly doesn't cost much to go to the auto parts store and pick up a few of the blue tubular wire splices to try it out.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I just bought an new husky trimmer, and after it breaks in a bit i will need to ajust the carb. It takes a splined tool that i have found on amazon for $55.00 !!! Anyone know of a less expensive source? i would have to get the screws out to cut slots with a dremel, so i need the tool.

I just bought a set of 3 carb tools on Amazon for $38. Has single and double D along with pacman type. I needed the pacman type.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Blue butt splice used for wire on the end of a small standard screwdriver can work. I have splined carb screws on mine and it works just fine.

I don't know if it works on the other types of screws you might find.

Certainly doesn't cost much to go to the auto parts store and pick up a few of the blue tubular wire splices to try it out.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

That is a good idea, my trimmer has the D shaped screws, buy I can see how that would work on splined screws.

You don't have to remove the screws to slot them. I use a Dremel with a slotting wheel and just cut a slot across both screws and both ends of the raised oval shaped guard around the screws. This method also has the advantage that it gives me a good reference mark where the screws belong if I have to take the carb clear apart later to clean it. I have done this to quite a few two-stroke carbs and it always works well.

+1 one on the Dremmel tool across the dam protecting the screws. Cutting through the dam also previews where the slots will be cut on the screws. If you work on them, you could invest in the kit shown below on Amazon. I bought the four piece set over a year ago for $25 with free shipping. Already had the Poulan splined tool...now I have two. Almost gave it (apparently $55) away a couple months ago. Whew! Are companies too afraid of Obama's EPA to mass produce these?

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Carburetor-A...+adjusting+tool

Last edited:
This is where I got my kit. It was a heck of a lot cheaper when I bought mine.

http://www.randysenginerepair.biz/servlet/the-15167/Splined%2C-DD%2C-D%2C-Pac/Detail

I bought them after I began to feel wary of cutting slots in other people's stuff. I kept waiting for that time it would mess the screw up beyond repair.

By the way...the screw (closest to the air filter) only needs to be turned out a 1/4 turn or less to usually make stuff run much, much better. You might try hemostats or thin needle nose pliers to get that 1/4 turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back