257,000 mi of Valvoline conventional 5k OCI (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Doesn't look bad, but I wonder what it would have looked like if full synthetic was used the whole time.

I'm sure you could have eaten off it and the cam would have grown larger lobes.

Ya a bit too much varnish for my liking. I would use PYB or PP and up the oci.

My RDX has had PP most of its life and at 140K now, it is spotless under the valve cover. Looks like it just came off the factory floor.

You know you want to go to 500,000...just because you know the VWB can do it. I'm only at 165,000 miles on the same oil at 5,000 mile intervals as well. The least of my automotive worries is about the oil choice I made years ago. Good job!

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Is the goal here to have a pretty engine that you can eat from, or get good service out of the engine?

Stick with what you are doing.

Bingo!

Some folks always try to one-up others. As stated, great job maintaining that engine with a solid oil choice.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Is the goal here to have a pretty engine that you can eat from, or get good service out of the engine?

Bingo!

Some folks always try to one-up others. As stated, great job maintaining that engine with a solid oil choice.

Except the real truth doesn't care about people's feelings. Its true it usually makes more sense to go to longer OCI's on synthetic, less time wasted, less oil to recycle back into the system, and... something unseen here: What do the rings look like? I think the greater chemical stability of a synthetic means the rings will be less gunked up over time.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

Bingo!

Except the real truth doesn't care about people's feelings. Its true it usually makes more sense to go to longer OCI's on synthetic, less time wasted, less oil to recycle back into the system, and... something unseen here: What do the rings look like? I think the greater chemical stability of a synthetic means the rings will be less gunked up over time.

Not knowing what the rings, pan, rods, bearings etc look like are all unkown as well. The 'real truth' here is that he has gone 257000 miles on conventional without issue. This seems to be hard for some people to just praise and not find fault with. (Not you specifically Fetchfar). Many people enjoy changing oil at 5k and have zero desire to go further, no matter if they can on syn. Its enjoyable and offers a small sense of accomplishment. I would venture to say that the peace of mind obtained by a synthetic user at 10K miles is the same feeling a conventional user gets for changing earlier, knowing there's fresh oil in the sump. Different strokes...
confused2.gif
Take note, I'm not arguing against the abilities of synthetic oil, only that we accept it isnt the only ballgame in town.

Last edited:

To have a pretty engine cleaner than the NASA space station.

Not knowing what the rings, pan, rods, bearings etc look like are all unkown as well. The 'real truth' here is that he has gone 257000 miles on conventional without issue. This seems to be hard for some people to just praise and not find fault with. (Not you specifically Fetchfar). Many people enjoy changing oil at 5k and have zero desire to go further, no matter if they can on syn. Its enjoyable and offers a small sense of accomplishment. I would venture to say that the peace of mind obtained by a synthetic user at 10K miles is the same feeling a conventional user gets for changing earlier, knowing there's fresh oil in the sump. Different strokes...
confused2.gif
Take note, I'm not arguing against the abilities of synthetic oil, only that we accept it isnt the only ballgame in town.

I am castigating this chronic frequent-oil-changer. Hey, we live on the same planet and this guy wants to use twice as much oil as he needs to. I.E., use synthetic and cut your oil use in half! Waste is bad, period. I blame the industry too. Jiffy Lube wants us to come in weekly for oil changes because "we need to". right....

As other posters have correctly pointed out, he could get even cleaner with LESS oil changes with a synthetic (thats the Point here too), and I think the rings would look better too.

I am castigating this chronic frequent-oil-changer.

Off with their heads!!! Lol.

He has done a great job keepng that car from polluting our air, sending it to the scrap heap, and the oil is recycled, all be it more often. His diligence in maintaining his vehicle in tip top shape is enough to pronounce him a good steward of our environment as far as I'm concerned. We'll agree to disagree.

Next you'll say all V8 drivers are satanic spawn because gas isn't recycled and straight wasted.

Last edited:

Next you'll say all V8 drivers are satanic spawn because gas isn't recycled and straight wasted.

Where are you getting 'satanic spawn' stuff? This is just an oil thread. And you took the time to add that as an extra Edit? Weird. Get a grip on reality. Seek help.

Where are you getting 'satanic spawn' stuff? This is just an oil thread. And you took the time to add that as an extra Edit? Weird. Get a grip on reality. Seek help.

Hey, hey it was a joke. No need to get bent out of shape and get personal? Sorry for offending you.
And concerning the thread, we'll agree to disagree... nothing wrong with that Fetchfar.

Last edited:
Varnish is light. I would say great job so far. A good quality synthetic would have yielded better results as far a varnishing goes, but over all a very healthy engine. Keep it up! I dont see any potential issues with your oil choice or OCI
smile.gif

Looks pretty good to me for all the miles
Just ignore some of the negativity floating around here
Keep doing what you are doing and see how far you can go

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Varnish is light. I would say great job so far. A good quality synthetic would have yielded better results as far a varnishing goes, but over all a very healthy engine. Keep it up! I dont see any potential issues with your oil choice or OCI
smile.gif

There are a number of posters in this thread beating the drum for synthetics and claiming that using them would have kept the engine cleaner.
This engine could hardly be any cleaner and we have no proof that M1, PP, Synpower or even Redline would have done any better.

Merkava would tell you to run 40w70 synthetic at 1000 mile oci because the varnish is going to kill your engine any second. To me it just shows that internal combustion engines can run fine on conventional oil and were never meant to stay clean enough on the inside or outside to eat off of.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I'd run that puppy on Mobil-1 for several 5K runs to clean her up & switch to 10K intervals there after!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

There are a number of posters in this thread beating the drum for synthetics and claiming that using them would have kept the engine cleaner.
This engine could hardly be any cleaner and we have no proof that M1, PP, Synpower or even Redline would have done any better.

My Camry's engine was similarly varnished after 100k miles on conventional oil when I switched to PP 5w-30 syn; after 4 OCIs of 26k miles I'll be removing the valve cover again to see if any improvement is observed.

Before....

5ov3.jpg

After....

???????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back