257,000 mi of Valvoline conventional 5k OCI (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice and clean.
No oil would have done better.
Very little varnish with reasonable 5K drains.
A pinup for those who love Valvoline and a stick in the eye for those who hate it.

thumbsup2.gif

Looks great for that mileage! IMO it would look better if it had synthetic oil changes, would it make a difference in wear, NO IDEA! Ill keep using synthetic however, thanks for posting! This is actual PROOF that dino can go the distance.

Originally Posted By: novadude
Seeing this makes me wonder why I waste money on "premium" synthetic oils, since I never go over a 6k mi OCI. Looks great!

Exactly. It's nothing more than a waste of money running a syn for 5000 miles. You aren't getting any extra insurance whatsoever.
Now if the engine is stressed or hard on oil that may require a synthetic however to believe a syn is needed for most engines at 5000 is foolish

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Seeing this makes me wonder why I waste money on "premium" synthetic oils, since I never go over a 6k mi OCI. Looks great!

Exactly. It's nothing more than a waste of money running a syn for 5000 miles. You aren't getting any extra insurance whatsoever.
Now if the engine is stressed or hard on oil that may require a synthetic however to believe a syn is needed for most engines at 5000 is foolish

Hyundai has even advised me on multiple occasions that syn isnt necessary for the mandated 5k mile oci on the turbo Santa Fe Sport that is a GDi.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Is there any conventional that has a VI of over 200, allowing easier start ups for the short trippers out there? Yes, I know thin oil at start up isn't the end-all, but it is optimal.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Nice and clean.
No oil would have done better.
Very little varnish with reasonable 5K drains.
A pinup for those who love Valvoline and a stick in the eye for those who hate it.

Couldnt have said it any better, fdcg27.

Where is Merk? For a quarter of a million miles on conventional oil, I think this looks great.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
My wife has the same year, glad to see its a chain verse a belt, I really thought it had a belt.

How don't you know what's in your own cars? LOL

With a quality Synthetic like M1 or maybe PP you would be able to double your OCI(half the oil changes) with a much cleaner engine. Varnish shows the oil is oxidizing and that same process also may produce ring coking. Might want to consider that with future engines. Just a thought.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
It looks good, but I have to agree with tig1. You could go 10,000 on a quality synthetic and it would likely look even better. Thanks for posting the pics.

Looks pretty awesome to me.

Sure it could be cleaner, but it does have a quarter of a million miles.

A few 4000 mile intervals on the same conventional, or maybe a HM oil, could clean that up. No reason to switch unless you want to.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
It looks good, but I have to agree with tig1. You could go 10,000 on a quality synthetic and it would likely look even better. Thanks for posting the pics.

I have put 200-350K with M1 at 10K OCIs and my engines were much cleaner that this one. My presant engines look like new at this time. Like I said. Half the total oil changes to boot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back