‘21 Ford Ranger 2.3L maintenance

Hello all,

I recently purchased a new 2021 Ford Ranger. Are there any locations on the chassis, etc that require greasing? Also, I noticed this engine relies on 5W30… sooo, recommendations? I figured Pennzoil Ultra is the go-to given it’s ease of purchasing and such. Thank you, everyone!

Chevy17 buying a FORD Ranger. Interesting. I doubt there are many, if at all, grease fittings. Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum would both be excellent choices.

Chevy17 buying a FORD Ranger. Interesting. I doubt there are many, if at all, grease fittings. Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum would both be excellent choices.
My Chevy was a train wreck. Engine’s #5 plug “blew up” as my dealer said and caused rather significant damage. Then at 32K miles, my tranny locked up and was covered under warranty. I will never own another GM product after having been tossed around by their customer service.

No grease points.

I'd pick a decent to upper-end synthetic. My preferred oil is the Havoline Lifelong 5W30, but that's out of cost and convenience (Wal-Mart 6qt Box). With a 5000 mile OCI.

I'm more concerned with GDI valve deposits than anything else with this motor. Whatever I can do to keep them to a minimum.

I also don't subscribe to Ford's 150,000 mile ATF change. No way no how. I'll be doing a D&F every 15k, filter at 60.

Last edited:
No grease points.

I'd pick a decent to upper-end synthetic. My preferred oil is the Havoline Lifelong 5W30, but that's out of cost and convenience. With a 5000 mile OCI.

I'm more concerned with GDI valve deposits than anything else with this motor. Whatever I can do to keep them to a minimum.

I also don't subscribe to Ford's 150,000 mile ATF change. No way no how. I'll be doing a D&F every 15k, filter at 60.
Awesome. Yeah, I figured of having them do the transmission service at 25K and 50K. It’s not even $170 for it and they replace the filter and some of the fluid since they just drop the pan. Once I’m out of warranty, I’ll do it myself. As far as the oil change, I plan to do every 4K with some sort of synthetic. Probably whatever is on sale. I have seen some Havoline on sale at Rural King🥳

Yeah i imagine the chassis has lube points. That engine Isnt lspi prone so you can run really anything you want. Someone on here just posted a uoa on his direct injected only ecoboost doing 10k on i think ravenol with 2500ppm of calcium which is more than diesel oil. If it were my engine id just run a diesel oil with ck and sn ratings on it like supertech diesel, delvac, or delo. They have a more gas oil kind of anti lspi formulation than regular diesel oil and give great results in turbo gas engines. Ford wont ever do a uoa on the oil. as long as it has oil on the stick and the inside isn't sludged. They wont deny a claim. I'd also change the trans and diff fluid every 60k. That's about enough for the trans and gear oil until they start to break down.

Awesome. Yeah, I figured of having them do the transmission service at 25K and 50K. It’s not even $170 for it and they replace the filter and some of the fluid since they just drop the pan. Once I’m out of warranty, I’ll do it myself. As far as the oil change, I plan to do every 4K with some sort of synthetic. Probably whatever is on sale. I have seen some Havoline on sale at Rural King🥳
Even Rural King synthetic is decent and SP rated I believe. You can always hit the report tab on the bottom left of one of your posts. And ask a moderator to change your username, maybe to Ranger21.

M1 5w-30 or the EP is also a good choice For that engine. as with any modern Ford, you will be much better off with a reasonable oil change interval. The chain and phasers will last forever with good practices. As always, direct injection engines do contaminate the oil with fuel and particulates. The oil change is the way to keep those contaminated from circulating for an excessive time.

I suggest a 5000 mile interval

Back