2024 Lexus RX350h hybrid battery

I asked the Lexus salesman about the future hybrid battery replacement costs. This is his response:
On the hybrid there are 2, the small one which is 4yr /50k if you had to replace about $600.
The main one which is 10 years /150K based on status would be anywhere from 5-10K after diagnosis.

What is this small battery? This cannot be a ICE 24F battery. Where is this small battery? I can buy qty 5 Costco 24F at $120.

Last edited:
I show a Group 47, presumably EFB.

$600 sounds about right. Usually 0.5-1hr for battery including initial battery test, most dealers are close to $300/hr here.

I show a Group 47, presumably EFB.

$600 sounds about right. Usually 0.5-1hr for battery including initial battery test, most dealers are close to $300/hr here.
So in a 12yr period. A new large battery $10k. Two EFB batteries $1.2K

Expensive to go hybrid.

I'm not understanding your math. Are you saying that the batter only lasts 10 years? I assume that 10 years is the warranty period, not the expected lifespan.
The warranty is 10 years. I am expecting it will go beyond and the reason I said 12 years because an EFB is suppose to last 6yrs with the start/stop mechanism.

Last edited:
So in a 12yr period. A new large battery $10k. Two EFB batteries $1.2K

Expensive to go hybrid.
Non-hybrid Toyota's with start/stop have been using EFB for a while as well.

New large battery will probably last between 12-15 years in most climates. But yes, unless you plan to drive 12-15k/yr and sell before the 12 year mark, the hybrids are not always worth it.

Non-hybrid Toyota's with start/stop have been using EFB for a while as well.

New large battery will probably last between 12-15 years in most climates. But yes, unless you plan to drive 12-15k/yr and sell before the 12 year mark, the hybrids are not always worth it.

Totally agree, after I retire maybe 6k mi/yr and it is difficult to justify the upfront costs and the long term maintenance expense.

Totally agree, after I retire maybe 6k mi/yr and it is difficult to justify the upfront costs and the long term maintenance expense.
My Prius is approaching 13 years old and 239K on the original battery. At one point I was averaging 20-25k/yr. In recent years it is down to 5-6K/yr. If this pattern continues and I am replacing the Prius, I will probably have to go non-hybrid.

It would feel like a a serious waste of $$ if I had to replace the hybrid battery on a 15 yr old car with under 100K.

I asked the Lexus salesman about the future hybrid battery replacement costs. This is his response:
On the hybrid there are 2, the small one which is 4yr /50k if you had to replace about $600.
The main one which is 10 years /150K based on status would be anywhere from 5-10K after diagnosis.

What is this small battery? This cannot be a ICE 24F battery. Where is this small battery? I can buy qty 5 Costco 24F at $120.
The small one has to be a 24F. $600 is a joke.
If hybrid batteries lasted 10 years and then croaked, no one would be buying them and those who did would be screaming at the top of their lungs. Toyota makes great hybrids; I have one.

I think you mean RX450h, right? The RX350 should be gas only.

The small one has to be a 24F. $600 is a joke.
If hybrid batteries lasted 10 years and then croaked, no one would be buying them and those who did would be screaming at the top of their lungs. Toyota makes great hybrids; I have one.

I think you mean RX450h, right? The RX350 should be gas only.
I corrected it. It is the RX350h. The RX450h is hybrid and plug-in

Last edited:
It's not a Lexus but I have a 2024 Toyota Rav 4 XSE hybrid and am not worried about the battery. I have 6,000 miles on it now and it should last quite a while. The mileage is awesome and it's a great vehicle. I like the increase in my BP stock as well as the savings of they Rav4 hybrid and my Civic to save gas which is going up. But.....I am going fishing tomorrow so it's over $100 in gas for the trip in my Ford F-150 and I could care less since it's worth it. Not sure why people don't like hybrids but I sure feel like they are a great vehicle.

350 @25mpg vs 350h @40mpg At retirement 6k mi /yr for 15yrs = 90k mi. The 350 would cost me an additional 1350 gallons @$5/gal… or $6750. Still $3k cheaper than a replacement battery plus the upfront cost of buying a hybrid $2k.

350 @25mpg vs 350h @40mpg At retirement 6k mi /yr for 15yrs = 90k mi. The 350 would cost me an additional 1350 gallons @$5/gal… or $6750. Still $3k cheaper than a replacement battery plus the upfront cost of buying a hybrid $2k.
More like 20-22 for the non-hybrid vs low to mid 30’s for the hybrid. I would pencil in a 10mpg difference. Also one fewer brake job for the hybrid ($600).

My 2007 RX400H has a 51R under the hood to power the accessories. Electric AC compressor runs around 460V IIRC.
If it ever needs the main battery there are many companies popping up that refurbish them .

Local to me supplier.

Under 3k with better quality cells(allegedly).
Refurbing hybrid batteries is a gimmick - you’re buying a battery of “balanced cells” with unknown service life. It’s the equivalent of buying 4 matching used tires but not being able to find out how much tread is remaining on them.

Back