2023 Jeep Grand Wagoneer factory filter CUT OPEN

Pretty good looking filter. Similar construction to ST white can you can get at Wal Mart. Seems Jeep has went away somewhat from Purolator as their factory filter supplier 🤔🤔

Attachments

• IMG_6450.jpeg
    IMG_6450.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6451.jpeg
    IMG_6451.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6453.jpeg
    IMG_6453.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6455.jpeg
    IMG_6455.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6456.jpeg
    IMG_6456.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6457.jpeg
    IMG_6457.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6458.jpeg
    IMG_6458.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6460.jpeg
    IMG_6460.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6459.jpeg
    IMG_6459.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6424.jpg
    IMG_6424.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 75
New oil halfway through on this filter makes it appear hardly used. It looks like a solid filter. Maybe a Champs lab filter?

Thank you for capturing and showcasing this filter.

Is this embarrassing to have an ecore filter on a 80-100k SUV from the factory? Or is it a non-issue? I'm not high class enough to know.

Is this embarrassing to have an ecore filter on a 80-100k SUV from the factory? Or is it a non-issue? I'm not high class enough to know.
It works. As much as we may dislike “plastic” cores, I don’t believe we’ve seen any failures across the many C&Ps. Guess it’s good enough?

I'd actually consider an E core to be better. Has more flow to the media to reduce pressure on where the small inlet holes would be under the media in a metal one which might lead more oil bypassing when it could've gone through to filter. Have yet to ever see the plastic support cage fail and collapse too.

I'd actually consider an E core to be better. Has more flow to the media to reduce pressure on where the small inlet holes would be under the media in a metal one which might lead more oil bypassing when it could've gone through to filter. Have yet to ever see the plastic support cage fail and collapse too.
An eCore center tube may reduce the dP across the media very slightly, doubt if it's much at all when most filters only have 4-5 PSI of dP when the oil is hot. When the oil is really cold and thick, an eCore center tube dP difference could be more significant than when the oil is hot. If the oil is cold and thick enough, the filter is most likely going to hit bypass pressure regardless of the center tube design since the media is the main contributor to the dP across the filter.

Yeah, after years the designers of eCore center tubes seem to have gotten the issues under control.

May be as good of filter as any, no metal filings from punching holes in centering tube and alot more internal flowablity. These filters seem bullet proof as far as durability???
As I’ve said hundreds of times; from my time at my work 2007 to 2018 we used CHAMP LABS. Never a issue. OCI’s we’re 5k to 9,500 OCI’s

That’s all proof I need

More "flowability" meaning maybe a little less delta-p. There is never "more flow" in an engine oiling system unless the PD oil pump is in pressure relief, which is pretty hard to do.
True. With cold 30 grade at 70f with a kv of maybe 80 there will be a difference. Once hot there'll be none but a lot of people drive short enough distances for it to matter. The oil doesn't heat up until 20-40 minutes depending on the engine's design being its thermal efficiency. And with short drives comes less use of cruise control so pressure varies more The relief valve in the pump does most of the work but it's not instant so the filter does pressurize a bit more when accelerating.

True. With cold 30 grade at 70f with a kv of maybe 80 there will be a difference. Once hot there'll be none but a lot of people drive short enough distances for it to matter. The oil doesn't heat up until 20-40 minutes depending on the engine's design being its thermal efficiency. And with short drives comes less use of cruise control so pressure varies more The relief valve in the pump does most of the work but it's not instant so the filter does pressurize a bit more when accelerating.
Only time the pump would hit pressure relief is if someone is driving like a maniac at high RPM before the oil warms up. Not many people drive like that. The oil pump rarely hits pressure relief when people drive a car normally. An eCore center tube wouldn't make any difference in that case. If an eCore center tube had a few of PSI less dP, then the pump would probably still hit pressure relief if someone was revving the engine pretty high before the oil warmed up. Or more likely, the filter would go into bypass before the pump hit pressure relief.

Only time the pump would hit pressure relief is if someone is driving like a maniac at high RPM before the oil warms up. Not many people drive like that. The oil pump rarely hits pressure relief when people drive a car normally. An eCore center tube wouldn't make any difference in that case. If an eCore center tube had a few of PSI less dP, then the pump would probably still hit pressure relief if someone was revving the engine pretty high before the oil warmed up. Or more likely, the filter would go into bypass before the pump hit pressure relief.
Most people hit 3k rpms all the time when driving normally. My cold oil pressure jumps from around high 40's at cold idle to mid 70's in normal accel. And if i need to get on and merge on the highway in the morning so i don't get stuck on the exit lane because hwy 290 is chaotic it's a bit over 90 psi. Still not going over 4.5k rpm's. And i live near the highway so it gets almost no warm up time.

Most people hit 3k rpms all the time when driving normally. My cold oil pressure jumps from around high 40's at cold idle to mid 70's in normal accel. And if i need to get on and merge on the highway in the morning so i don't get stuck on the exit lane because hwy 290 is chaotic it's a bit over 90 psi. Still not going over 4.5k rpm's. And i live near the highway so it gets almost no warm up time.
I'd say 4500 RPM is pretty high revs when the oil is cold. And could be that 90 PSI is about where your oil pump hits pressure relief - you would have to rev it to near redline for awhile to see it the oil pressure goes above 90 PSI. But it's also likely that the oil filter went into bypass before the pump hit pressure relief depending on the filter's dP vs flow curve and its bypass setting.

Bottom line is that an eCore center tube really isn't going to make any difference that matters in terms of oil volume going to the engine. No engine is going to lack lubrication because it wasn't using an eCore style oil filter. High revs with cold oil isn't going to result in a lack of lubrication, but it certainly can make the filter go into bypass when either lower revs or warmer oil will not put the filter into bypass.

Last edited:
An eCore center tube may reduce the dP across the media very slightly, doubt if it's much at all when most filters only have 4-5 PSI of dP when the oil is hot. When the oil is really cold and thick, an eCore center tube dP difference could be more significant than when the oil is hot. If the oil is cold and thick enough, the filter is most likely going to hit bypass pressure regardless of the center tube design since the media is the main contributor to the dP across the filter.

Yeah, after years the designers of eCore center tubes seem to have gotten the issues under control.
Yeah I know… was trying to reassure cptbarkey that survivability should actually be the first requirement for a filter, regardless of the cost of the car it’s going on.
thank you both, my question is more out of ignorance and trying to learn on how i should invest on oil filters in the future. Will keep reading.

thank you both, my question is more out of ignorance and trying to learn on how i should invest on oil filters in the future. Will keep reading.
Steel cores with punched holes is the “comfort” zone, louvers are sketchy because we’ve seen several with barely open louvers here which could cause flow issues, and E-cores were a subject of doubt when they first appeared because of the “plastic” aspect… but honestly there have probably been way more ugly steel tube filters over the past 2 years than all of the e-cores combined. Seems they’ve gotten it dialed in.

Filter slayer @53' Stude what say you on the e-cores you’ve seen? Better or worse on average than “normal” filters?

Last edited:
Back