2019 Range Rover Velar D240 SE Engine Concerns

As a previous owner and operator of large diesel engine motorhomes and a 50ft diesel engine boat over a period of twenty years I am used to getting engine oil tested. So when in April this year I purchased from land Rover a year old Range Rover Velar D240 SE demonstrator car with 5220km on the clock I required the Dealer to renew the engine oil and filter, though the vehicle was well short of it's normal two year service. The oil used is Castrol Edge Professional SAE 0W30. Seven months later after putting 8355km on the new oil I had the engine oil tested and was surprised to see high Aluminium (20ppm) and Iron (83ppm) reported. Two months later after putting 13747km (5292km aditional) on that same oil I had the engine oil tested again, this time reporting even higher Aluminium (39ppm) and Iron (117ppm). See attached file. Vehicle service is not due until mid 2021 by which time I expect to have put perhaps another 7500km on this same oil. In all the oil testing I have previously done I have never seen oil reported as having other than normally accepted values, so I am concerned, even though the vehicle engine appears to be running well. Land Rover's Technical and Warranty Manager, after reviewing the reports told me "while the levels are higher than the normal average as indicated in the report, he is not concerned by this. The vehicle is still in the initial run-in phase, which does collect some excess particles than normal. Once you have the first service in just over 6 month’s time, these levels will reduce quick a lot, returning to normal parameters." I would appreciate knowing please what others on this forum think about that explanation? Is it a reasonable assessment? Should I press this matter with Land Rover or keep my fingers crossed that there is not significant engine damage being done? This is my first post on this forum, I hope I have posted correctly. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Oil Sample Report for Distribution.pdf
    89.1 KB · Views: 36
I don't have a manual but this is what Castrol says: Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-30 is suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends : ACEA C2 specification 0W-30. Castrol EDGE Professional E0W-30 is approved for use in vehicles that require a Jaguar Land Rover - Engine oil specification STJLR.03.5007 0W-30 lubricant. To me this spec seems a bit light for a diesel, maybe it is a compromise for the sake of fuel economy, but I'd try a heavier oil especially if you live in Oz.

Strikes me as odd that Calcium, phosphorus, zinc, and Magnesium all went up. That would be indicative of an oil change... might consider another lab for analysis considering wear metals went up. Did you (they?) put an additive in between samples?

Definitely something strange here. I’d change the oil with something suited for a Diesel engine. That appears to be oil for a gas engine and castrol’s website doesn’t have a recommended oil for the TD4.

I had the Chevy dealer try to put Dexos 1 (for a gas truck) in my diesel Colorado instead of Dexos 2. With the exception of large trucks, dealerships aren’t used to diesels.

If you want to make sure, ask the dealer for the part # they installed. Read the back of the bottle and look for the ACEA rating of C5. If it doesn’t have it, then it shouldn’t be used on a vehicle with a DPF.

Back