2019 Lexus GX460 (1UR-FE) Mobil 1 AFE 0w30, 7761 miles on oil

1694052891710.jpeg

I asked Blackstone to double check the flashpoint/fuel dilution number.

I also will check my engine air filter - replaced at 31k to check fitment etc. due to spike in silicon to 22. (Although a smaller spike to 17 happened in the 25k oci folllowing air filter replacement at 15k, so may just be fact of new filter until it loads up a bit).

Last edited:
Maintained its viscosity despite the fuel dilution. This looks like the Triple Action version.

I also will check my engine air filter - replaced at 31k to check fitment etc. due to spike in silicon to 22. (Although a smaller spike to 17 happened in the 25k oci folllowing air filter replacement at 15k, so may just be fact of new filter until it loads up a bit).
Or when you break open the filter housing it almost impossible to not have some fine airborne dust make its way into the clean side of the housing. I like to remove the assembly from the car completely before disturbing the filter. Then clean all the innards. Just a thought…

Maintained its viscosity despite the fuel dilution. This looks like the Triple Action version.
I was surprised that the viscosity was not lower, especially compared with the last UOA also using M1 0w30AFE for a shorter run with no fuel dilution. And similarly for some of the protective additives too. Is this just normal variation in measurement?

I was surprised that the viscosity was not lower, especially compared with the last UOA also using M1 0w30AFE for a shorter run with no fuel dilution. And similarly for some of the protective additives too. Is this just normal variation in measurement?
The prior generation of AFE 0w30 had terrible viscosity control. Maybe they improved it. Hard to say.

Reactions: FZ1
@sds911
What was your procedure before you took the oil sample?
When you took the sample, were you idling the engine for a long time, or did you take it for a drive around the block?
Or did you perhaps do alot of short trips?
Depending on your answer it may explain the fuel dilution.
Blackstone is not known for very accurate fuel dilution results.

Last edited:
@sds911
What was your procedure before you took the oil sample?
When you took the sample, were you idling the engine for a long time, or did you take it for a drive around the block?
Or did you perhaps do alot of short trips?
Depending on your answer it may explain the fuel dilution.
I think I know why the fuel dilution occurred. Has to do with ultra short trips in the morning to walk my dog - changed my practice in June. Just surprised because I do multiple highway runs during the week (30 minutes round trip at highway speeds).

Also, might explain why the other numbers were not worse given a June start date with oil changed in January.

Last edited:

The 17 PPM Silicon was LESS than the 12 PPM run so how did it "Spike"?

Possibly, or less VII. That's why it's important to always get an oxidation value.
Even if it had no VII, we'd see visc loss from dilution (assuming that it's close to virgin in the UOA). So, if it's maintained its visc, then that has to be oxidation.

This is why the Blackstone reports are pretty useless on this front.
- We don't have oxidation (or virgin oxidation to reference to)
- We don't have real fuel dilution %

So, no conclusions can be drawn about visc, shear, or dilution, because there are some major gaps in the information.

Even if it had no VII, we'd see visc loss from dilution (assuming that it's close to virgin in the UOA). So, if it's maintained its visc, then that has to be oxidation.

This is why the Blackstone reports are pretty useless on this front.
- We don't have oxidation (or virgin oxidation to reference to)
- We don't have real fuel dilution %

So, no conclusions can be drawn about visc, shear, or dilution, because there are some major gaps in the information.
Definitely. I won’t get a UOA without it.

“This is the reason why only monograde oils are specified for two-stroke-cycle diesel engines. VII and fuel dilution do not mix. However, the reason is not because the VII breaks down with fuel dilution. VII amplifies the viscosity at all (operating) temperatures by the same constant. In other words, KV is multiplied by the same constant at 40 C and 100 C. When there is fuel dilution, the base oil viscosity is reduced and this multiplication constant amplifies the effect"

I recently saw a UOA on another forum where the guy used OAI and BS labs. The OAI viscosity was in grade, BS Labs wasn't. I do not trust BS Labs.

“This is the reason why only monograde oils are specified for two-stroke-cycle diesel engines. VII and fuel dilution do not mix. However, the reason is not because the VII breaks down with fuel dilution. VII amplifies the viscosity at all (operating) temperatures by the same constant. In other words, KV is multiplied by the same constant at 40 C and 100 C. When there is fuel dilution, the base oil viscosity is reduced and this multiplication constant amplifies the effect"

I recently saw a UOA on another forum where the guy used OAI and BS labs. The OAI viscosity was in grade, BS Labs wasn't. I do not trust BS Labs.
Just to add I remember seeing in an old manual on two stroke gasoline engine that regular oil will foul the spark plug sooner. I'm assuming that some of the VII may not "Burn" correctly causing build up.

Either way, This BS UOA is great for the wear metal reporting.

Back