2016 Camaro... ew

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was truly amazed at the base model ATS we rented. It was an awesome little car and a Camaro on that platform is going to be a fantastic handler with peerless dynamics.

Beats anything comparable in its class if you like to drive the car...

I don't care for the high belt line low roof look.

For the $50k that it will cost I just rather get a used Corvette or a Jag, SL/CL, or Maserati coupe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

For the $50k that it will cost I just rather get a used Corvette or a Jag, SL/CL, or Maserati coupe.

.....a classic will probably "increase" in price, unlike the new vehicles.

Interesting, mostly uninformed comments.

I have a 2014 SS convertible with ~480 crank hp. It is a thrill to get in and drive every time. I have no visibility issues. The 2016 will only be better in every way. I will be attending the reveal at Belle Isle on Saturday. The uncamo'd SIX car will look good to those who like Gen5 (500,000 of us bought one).

Last edited:
You can't even really tell what it looks like as I am sure there is more disguising it's looks than just the vinyl wrap. GM has been keeping this car under very tight wraps.

Sorry, not taking you to task. Just questioning the notion our government has that we need protection from ourselves.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
lol, even when I say something you apparently agree with, you write a post trying to take me to task...

I should just start agreeing with you for fun just to see how often you miss that I'm doing it. :p

Originally Posted By: dishdude
You can't even really tell what it looks like as I am sure there is more disguising it's looks than just the vinyl wrap. GM has been keeping this car under very tight wraps.

Exactly. No real reason to assume much from a spy photo. They've put out decoys before!

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Sorry, not taking you to task. Just questioning the notion our government has that we need protection from ourselves.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
lol, even when I say something you apparently agree with, you write a post trying to take me to task...

I should just start agreeing with you for fun just to see how often you miss that I'm doing it. :p

Sorry to jump in here, but I think you missed d00df00d's point. His point wasn't that the government does or doesn't need to be involved, but that regulation wasn't the reason for the high beltline. His point was America likes its vehicles how it likes its Starbucks: grande, please, and with whipped cream on top. Chevrolet is doing what it can to make the Camaro crash-compatible with Silverados...not because of government regulations, but because they don't want people killed in this short car.

I don't know whether d00df00d is correct or not. Just trying to help you see what (I think) he was saying.

I wasn't going quite as far as saying the regulations weren't the reason, per se. I was just saying something like this would happen with or without regulatory pressure.

But yeah, that's pretty much where I was going. Thanks for the assist.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Ha, face it. Most here won't like it. That means nothing to me.

This will be the best performing Camaro ever built, as it is on the same platform as the Caddy ATS.

I just hope they offer that super sweet twin turbo V6 in it as a lightweight option for those of us who like less nose heavy cars...

Yes, I also care MUCH less about whether or not it looks like a mid to late '60s muscle/pony car, and MUCH MORE that it kicks the ever living daylights out of the Nippon and Teuton performance rides' keisters in it's price range

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Mustang, Challenger, Camaro sales from 2009 to present

I would expect the Mustang to do well right now as it is refreshed. Let's see what happens when this lighter, faster, more nimble, updated Camaro hits the streets. You 5 or 6 guys don't have to like it, lots of other people do.
smile.gif

Maybe, just maybe GM also wants to try and sell some of these OUTSIDE this country, just like the much hated (aesthetic wise) on here current Stang, which was redesigned with this exact purpose in mind (IRS, as well as the Ecoboost 4 banger option).

WOW, just think about THAT 'strange concept', actually EXPORTING something from THIS country to the rest of the world, instead of ONLY AND ALWAYS the other way around!!!!
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Yes, I also care MUCH less about whether or not it looks like a mid to late '60s muscle/pony car, and MUCH MORE that it kicks the ever living daylights out of the Nippon and Teuton performance rides' keisters in it's price range

If it's anything like the Corvette, it'll destroy cars way above its price range as well!

I really, really hope that those gunslit side windows are part of the camouflage. The three reasons I didn't buy a 5th-Gen were the high weight, the high beltline, and the large width (I thought it was too wide in proportion to the wheelbase). The General has addressed the weight and width issues, but maybe they like the sinister look of the high beltline. The ATS has more normally sized side windows, and it's the same platform.

If you followed GM press releases, Ed Welborn, GM design chief described the mission as 'sending Camaro to the gym' to become more athletic meaning lighter, faster, better handling.

Hard to complain about any of those changes.

The window shape is part of the Camaro aesthetic. But, the design team has heard the constant harping about visibility (although not much from Camaro customers) and will be making small moves in that direction. The windows will be taller by millimeters. The C pillar will shrink. Haters will still hate. Like I said earlier, if visibility is the only thing keeping you from a Camaro, buy a convertible.

Last edited:
Convertible is not realistic for me, as I would occasionally take the car to a race track.

And how can I cruise around town with my left arm resting on the windowsill with that high beltline? I tried that driving position when I sat in one, and my shoulder started hurting almost immediately.
smile.gif

Every Camaro up to the 5th-Gen had normal sized side windows, so I wouldn't say that gun-slit windows are part of the historical Camaro aesthetic.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Because no one's ever taken a convertible to a track?

They are less rigid and subsequently a poorer choice for track duty. Also, when rolled, you are more likely to catch a serious case of the dead, which is another reason a solid roof is preferred.

There are guys that of course track convertibles and their variants. But when you have the choice on the same chassis, the hard top, for this type of usage, is the preferred model.

Unless it spends more than 50% of its life on a track I fail to see why you would give up something as awesome as a convertible to go to tracks once or twice a month for fun.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Unless it spends more than 50% of its life on a track I fail to see why you would give up something as awesome as a convertible to go to tracks once or twice a month for fun.

Guess it depends on whether you find convertibles awesome or not. I like a sunroof but have no aspirations to own a ragtop, they just don't do anything for me.

Likewise, if I were (and I was, at one point) in the market for a 2003/2004 Terminator, the hard top would be the only thing I'd buy. I don't like the look of the ragtop. It doesn't work right (aesthetically) on some cars and that's ignoring the handling and weight penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back