2014 Toyota Corolla Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I hate the Civic type black 'bumper bar' on the front.

Other than that it looks very nice.

The front looks like the mouth of a praying mantis!
crazy2.gif

Not in the market but if looking for econobo, would get the Dart with the 2.4 tiger shark or if they ever get off their asz at SRt, would get the SRT4.

Scion is another boring looking car, that does nothign for me. Will probably buy a SRT Challenger next year anyway, but have 9 cars now, so in no rush!

I am jsut amaazed though that Toy gets away with peddling these under powered engines.
MIL has 08 Corrolla and have driven it, it cant get out of its own way, has cheap plastic interior and antique 4spd auto that doesnt know what gear to be in and has to constantly downshift because the engine is so lame with no tourque, hit a slight hill and sits hung up trying to decide what to do, no wonder hey are going to a CVT.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Beak is ugly and they still have lame engines, 132 HP 126TQ yawn~!
So buy a Scion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VNTS
I am jsut amaazed though that Toy gets away with peddling these under powered engines.
MIL has 08 Corrolla and have driven it, it cant get out of its own way, has cheap plastic interior and antique 4spd auto that doesnt know what gear to be in and has to constantly downshift because the engine is so lame with no tourque, hit a slight hill and sits hung up trying to decide what to do, no wonder hey are going to a CVT.

I think they get away with it because the people interested in these cars just don't care. Lets be honest with ourselves, for the type of use these cars see ~130 hp is plenty adequate. I have zero interest in a car like this, but I get it.

With this car like I'd place durability, reliability, low operating costs, and comfort way above horsepower as considerations for purchase.

In other words, it's an appliance.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I think they get away with it because the people interested in these cars just don't care. Lets be honest with ourselves, for the type of use these cars see ~130 hp is plenty adequate. I have zero interest in a car like this, but I get it.

With this car like I'd place durability, reliability, low operating costs, and comfort way above horsepower as considerations for purchase.

The '13 Sentra is getting hammered, not just because of its poor handling but also its poor power. I would not be at all surprised to see the Corolla come in 3rd, 4th, or later in the next compact comparo due primarily to its lackluster performance compared to the champs of the segment (Focus, Mazda3, '14 Forte...)

Now will that negatively affect sales? Of course not.

A lot of people have cried about the 4 speed slushbox. I think its a good option for people who want a long lasting boring car. You know, the guy that buys a new Toyota every other decade, yet still doesn't know how to drive a stick.

IMO, the 2014 Mazda 3 will decimate it in every measurable way. But the Toyota name and reputation will bring far more sales than a superior Mazda ever could.

It has a lot of show and very little go.

The front end looks too aggressive for the amount of power it has. The lower grille is ugly. I think it will look silly with the standard steelies instead of the alloys that are in the pictures. I think it would look better if they got rid of the giant black bark and just had a continuous paint bumper. I would take it over the current one, but there are better looking cars among its competitors. The 2014 Mazda 3 looks much more attractive, and it will probably have better driving dynamics too.

The interior looks okay.

Well since so many others are complaining. I wish it had a big button on the center dash that I could press. Then open a door by the glove box and get a fresh made waffle with syrup and butter on top.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Well since so many others are complaining. I wish it had a big button on the center dash that I could press. Then open a door by the glove box and get a fresh made waffle with syrup and butter on top.

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: kam327

The '13 Sentra is getting hammered, not just because of its poor handling but also its poor power. I would not be at all surprised to see the Corolla come in 3rd, 4th, or later in the next compact comparo due primarily to its lackluster performance compared to the champs of the segment (Focus, Mazda3, '14 Forte...)

Now will that negatively affect sales? Of course not.

The corolla might be outdone powerwise by those 3, but Mazda's have far more problems as does the focus and forte..
I have driven each one. Yes the mazda is more fun to drive but it rusts and uses more gas. At end of the day the Corolla despite being outdated still has many strong points. While 105k miles isnt that much, i have yet to do anything but change the oil, tires and brake pads. Total cost of ownership is lower than anything ive driven. The sentra is terrible. I just dislike the CVT and the car feels boxy and all over the place on bumps. Again its a no frills car.

I really thought they would have massaged that aging 1.8l engine. I had an '03 with that same power plant. It's bulletproof but I'm glad I had the manual transmission for sure. We also had one with an automatic and it was a slug. Hopefully the new transmissions will help it along.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I really thought they would have massaged that aging 1.8l engine. I had an '03 with that same power plant. It's bulletproof but I'm glad I had the manual transmission for sure. We also had one with an automatic and it was a slug. Hopefully the new transmissions will help it along.

Your 03 had the 1zz-fe, there was a new 1.8L introduced in 2009 called the 2ZR-FE which is completely different.

I recently had a 2013 as a rental on a business trip, and the power seemed okay.

It was a nice size, seats were comfy. It was a throwback just as the 2013 Impala is!

No one can ever say the interior in a Cobalt was cheap. Compared to the 2013 Corolla, the Cobalt had a Rolls Royce interior.

The front looks like a Dodge Dart/Hyundai/Kia, the rear looks like a Honda and the side looks like the previous gen Ford focus. It looks like an identity crisis on wheels.

The interior is a good improvement but the dash just seems hectic and thrown together. I find it painful to look at on the eyes...nothing flows. Then again I'm a fan of simple yet well thought out car interiors. Most cars these days have more buttons on them than a TV remote control.

Last edited:
I'm sure these will sell well based on their name alone. We'll see how reliable the new technology is.

That gauge cluster looks like a ripoff of the Chevrolet corporate gauge cluster with the blue backlighting and green-blue LCD display nestled between the tach and speedo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R

inb4 "it should have a manual only, AM/FM radio, no power steering, no cruise control etc etc etc"

I don't think anyone says most of those things. But one should be able to buy a more stripped, as well as more customized variants of these, or any cars, as they like.

If I want a corolla with led headlamps, I should be able to get that without having to buy the nav package, leather seats and 20" alloy wheels on an econo appliance.

And the premise of people putting all those options into an economy car, then financing or leasing it because they cannot afford what they are buying is always laughable, regardless of segment.

That's a bizarre looking car. The proportions are messing with my head.

I agree, it's way too busy for me.

I'll take a Prius.

I'd like to see a Corolla/Civic that using a conventional engine can achieve 50mpg on the highway all day. You'd think that it could be done without having to buy some silly hybrid. At least the new Corolla is a small step in that direction with 42mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back