2010 Lincoln MKZ Base (120K mi) as weekend car

Hi folks,
I am considering a 2010 MKZ as a 3rd/weekend car. Any particular comment or advice on what to inspect (pre-purchase) and what are the main repair/maintenance items coming up (assuming it's in ok shape now, I haven't seen it yet).

6-speed auto may be an issue soon, if it's not already. Otherwise should be as nice and as reliable as any Ford Fusion, and Fusions are very liked on this board. I don't know much on the 3.5L powerplant, only had experience with the Duratec 2.3/2.5/3.0, which were all good. If transmission is currently good, take precautionary measures with an ATF drain&fill, maybe even a bigger ATF cooler.

Overall, these aren't bad cars; the typical age and mileage related issues which are common with any car. But ...

The biggest concern will be the Cyclone 3.5L engine, if it has significant miles on the car. The water pump is a very costly and time consuming job; not a job for the average Joe. If it's already been done by a competent shop and proof of work done (receipts), then OK. If not, walk away.

I had a 2009 and really liked it. It had a power steering fluid leak near the AC I never bothered to fix, just topped off occasionally. Also had some perplexing venting in the front wheel wells that sprayed water on the back of the headlights when it rained. I blocked those.

As mentioned the water pump should be considered a 100k maintenance item, and is not cheap to have replaced.

Those are my only negatives, overall a very good car.

As most know, the MKZ is just a rebadged Fusion. Overall, a fairly competent chassis.

The water pump is the main issue here; that should NOT be ignored. At 120k miles, it's going to need to be done soon, if not done already. For anyone who does not know, the transverse drive Cyclone engines have the water pump inside the timing chain cover. When they leak, they often do so internally, and that ruins the lube in short order, and then the engine is at significant risk. Should you choose to buy the car, plan on a very expensive repair bill soon. It's about a 10-12 hour job, and some shops don't even want to touch it. With labor rates anywhere from $150 on up, that's a LOT of money.

Thank you every one, will need to contact my mechanic if it's such a pricy job before moving forward

Back