2010 Forte, Duralast Elite Pads, Hoses, 1 caliper/rotor.

Link to post in penetrants section.

RF caliper locked up. Unknown if bad caliper or bad hose and causing brake to stay really hot messing up caliper if it even works that way. Caliper was only 2 years/14k miles old, both fronts were done at that time with Raybestos Element3 rotors/calipers/pads but not hoses. Short drive to confirm wife and sons complaint driving easy, IR temp gun = 250F on left, 600F on right. RF rotor heavily worn on inner/piston side. LF no issues.

All good now. In the penetrants post Trav said to unbolt everything, hold flare nut, and then turn hose. Don't try to turn just flare nut as it felt like it was going to round out with flare wrench. I never even thought to look at it that way. Work just one frozen rusted point if possible, then the other. After hose came loose I still had to spray and work the flare nut to get that free and cleaned up but that worked well also. @Trav ROCKS!
IMG_2719.jpg

Update after reading/posting on brake hose thread.

I didn't think I changed hoses on my sons Forte when I did the full fronts in 2021. I just checked the old hoses since garbage didn't come yet and they say Sunsong on them with DOT codes from 2020 and 2021. I looked on my RA orders and I had ordered the Raybestos standard replacement ones for his car at the same time. I didn't read what the Duralast ones say on them (yet).

So Raybestos hoses at least those were rebranded/remarketed Sunsong.

Now I'm concerned I have other brake issues in future unless it was just a bad hose or a bad Raybestos Element3 caliper. RF brake got hot enough that the rubber bleeder cap dried out and was disintegrating so I'm sure the caliper piston seals were the same.

How do you test for a suspected bad brake hose? Warranty was only 18 months / 18k miles anyway for all the parts but just curious.

If I changed them back then Whiskey Tango Foxtrot did I do with my 11mm flare wrench that I probably bought back then and had to buy a new one this time again?

Seems to me brake replacement parts have been hit or mis in quality. My neon had brand new brake drums, shoes, hardware then the e-brake cable stretched and didn't release the shoes.

Back