2009 Jetta?

There is minimal difference between the two such that if you were a blindfolded passenger in both cars on back to back rides, you couldn't tell which was which. My Corolla rides the same as the larger Taurus I had last year, or at least I can't tell the difference. I'm sure it would ride better than a 25 year old Camry too.
You might be right... but I can't get past the reviews that indicate "but for just a bit more" I could have a better ride. At the moment it's pretty hard to tell though, Toyota doesn't seem to be making cars at the moment. Plus I really don't want a new car (or I should say, don't want to pay for it).

If you like European cars of that vintage, check out the Saturn Astra. They shouldn't be too expensive, and they are much better than any VW :D

You still don't have to spend 15k on a good car, even in this market.
Not good advice. The five cylinder Jetta is a very solid engine. VW Jetta's are ubiquitous and for the most part, rock solid. Saturn Astra's are orphan cars, very few left on the road, no discernible enthusiast community and (I'm taking a gander here) likely very difficult to source parts for. I would contrast them with the earlier American Saturns, with plastic bodies and surprising reliability. Better ideas: find a lower mileage Jetta, or see what you can afford in a Corolla, Accord, Camry or Civic. In 2023, there is no evidence that a Saturn Astra is more reliable than a similar vintage Jetta.

The 2.5 is dang near bulletproof (well 07 and later) - the '05.5 and '06 had some timing chain problems. You really can't go wrong with any VW 2.5 after '06 - the rest of the car will probably become the problem before any issues with the engine. Some people hate the I-5 sound - I personally loved the sound. Compared to other engines in the size class it has a large 6 some odd quart oil capacity!

Check that both radiator fans run when you have a/c on - fan failures were quite common (one fan on my '06 died right ~70k miles). There are two fans and the remaining working fan picks up the slack by kicking up higher so outside the louder remaining fan (I noticed this first) there is nothing else indicating the other fan has died as it doesn't throw any error codes.

The Camry easily beats the Corolla for NVH, but if you drove a Corolla for a while you'd become accustomed to it and it would seem just fine. It's not as though the smaller car is all that awful that you'd find it intolerable. Better fuel economy too.
I recently had a rental Corolla, a newish car with around 25K miles and the CVT. It wasn't bad at all in use and fuel economy was astonishing, a consideration if you're looking to buy a new one.

You really can't go wrong with any VW 2.5 after '06 - the rest of the car will probably become the problem before any issues with the engine.
Problem is, others state the same thing—better to buy new, and know it will go the distance.

The Camry easily beats the Corolla for NVH, but if you drove a Corolla for a while you'd become accustomed to it and it would seem just fine. It's not as though the smaller car is all that awful that you'd find it intolerable. Better fuel economy too.
I recently had a rental Corolla, a newish car with around 25K miles and the CVT. It wasn't bad at all in use and fuel economy was astonishing, a consideration if you're looking to buy a new one.
Toying with it, but I think my main holdback is lack of towing. Not even supposed to put on a hitch for a bike rack! I get it, meant to be a light duty vehicle, but at the moment I have only one car with a hitch, and its the oldest to boot.

Have a HF trailer for occasional HD runs and whatnot. And I like to bike. Yes I can get the hitch and we all know its fine for a bike rack.

Really need to get two vehicles… ‘cuz that’s cheap to do.

I'd bet that short distance light towing would do no harm nor would using a bike rack on a receiver.

I'd bet that short distance light towing would do no harm nor would using a bike rack on a receiver.
One would hope. But knowing me, short is 20 miles, and… have you seen NH hills? I pulled 1,200lb once with my 5s-fe and it was second gear pulls, think it lost some life doing that.

Wonder if a trans cooler could be installed…

Back when I had my MkIV Jetta, I recall that doing the heater core was a real bear. And the blend doors were well known for blowing foam and disintegrating. Would an '09 be similar? I see an '09 2.5/5MT with 176k somewhat locally, and while I realize the better half of its life is now gone, it's still going to be cheaper than anything new.
Quite different. I had a MK4 with the blowing foam ahahaha.

Heater core on any modern vehicle will be a bear.

2.5 is a v. good engine, timing chains are the thing on those.

2.5 is a v. good engine, timing chains are the thing on those.
I know the early generation had issues with tensioners, but then they got good. But. I'm getting also told to shy away from high mile ones all the same. Finding low mile ones is a bit of a drive and a real search, and apt to command a premium.

Bummer, but short of getting lucky, I've kinda given up here. Next couple of years I plan to drive "lots". Wife drives here hybrid 25k/yr, and I plan to be doing 25k/yr going forward, and at times all 4 of us will be going in opposite directions. Wife often goes 50 miles from home for her travels, myself I work over 50 miles from home. Son and daughter are completely useless with roadside repairs, as is the wife.

I'd skip that VW - it's Done.

Maybe look for Grandpa's '96 Buick LeSabre with only 30K miles. Got to scour those "estate" sales. Nice on the Highway or anywhere really.

Just saw this on Craigslist NH:

P0440 is evap. Could be solenoid, brittle/cracked vacuum hose, gas cap, canister.
Oops, now that I looked closely, I think that ODO has gone around once

Maybe look for Grandpa's '96 Buick LeSabre with only 30K miles. Got to scour those "estate" sales. Nice on the Highway or anywhere really.

P0440 is evap. Could be solenoid, brittle/cracked vacuum hose, gas cap, canister.

New gas tank and now EVAP codes? rotbox. I don't even have to look, the brake lines are probably not far behind. Fine, it may possibly be just a solenoid, and as a '97 it doesn't actually have to be repaired--2003 and older (soon to be 2004 and older) don't have to pass emissions in NH. 20 years old and it's ok to have a CEL.

Somehow I missed seeing that one... probably glossed over it, as I tend to be snobbish and automatically overlook anything domestic.

This one may be better - but its in CT. May be work the drive.

Traverse V6 and a sunroof, and still a domestic that is apt to rot brake lines.

Came across a new "scam" today. Advertising that the sticker is good. Look at the photos and... it's a sticker for another state. No go there, that's not valid. But the ad says it's good to go! sheesh. That one is from a wholesaler yard. I'm sure they have something nice, but that tactic shuts me down.

LOL - a VW with a known reliable engine and trans combo is "done" but you go on to recommend GM pushrod V6's that have very well known intake manifold gasket issues that let the oil and coolant mix sub 6 digit odometer numbers. We know your Jetta was crap in your eyes but lets be realistic here. I don't recall the VW 2.5 having well known sealing issues that can destroy the engine in short order.

The 1996 30k mile "creampuff" that was barely ever driven is probably going to be problematic with rubber/plastic parts rotting away from age and disuse.

IDK about your local market, but in my area there are a few Lexus ES350 cars. More comfortable, more reliable, and more efficient than many of the mentioned options. Its twin with a longer wheelbase, the Toyota Avalon, can often be had even cheaper. Both vehicles seem to go for $4000-$7000 for a clean and rust free one, with 130k-170k on the odometer.
P.S. When I had 2010 Avalon - it got 24MPG average, and 31MPG highway. When hypermiling - I was able to squeeze 36MPG out of that huge sedan.

LOL - a VW with a known reliable engine and trans combo is "done" but you go on to recommend GM pushrod V6's that have very well known intake manifold gasket issues that let the oil and coolant mix sub 6 digit odometer numbers. We know your Jetta was crap in your eyes but lets be realistic here. I don't recall the VW 2.5 having well known sealing issues that can destroy the engine in short order.

The 1996 30k mile "creampuff" that was barely ever driven is probably going to be problematic with rubber/plastic parts rotting away from age and disuse.
You VW fanboys on here slay me :)

Me, I am not a team player; everything is garbage unless proven otherwise,

Just trying to be helpful. @supton does a lot of highway miles. The boring "domestic' are usually a good highway car.

I thought GM fixed the V6 LIM problems a decade earlier easy enough repair. But Better than a Camry 2.4L with rotted head bolts. I do like the I5 Jettas of that period but 175K on that VW it is sauerkraut unless its almost free and you are just trying to get a year out of it - even then get out the checkbook.

I have had a few VW's starting with a '63 bug and even a Brazilian FOX 4 door in the late 80's. I leased my 2019 VW Jetta for $139/mo. - cheaper in my mind than buying a well used car for 4 grand that will be done in 2 years - you know your cost upfront.

You kids have fun and buy what you want - I've been driving for over a Half Century in over 70 cars. Been there - and done most of 'em.

Back