2009 Jetta?

Back when I had my MkIV Jetta, I recall that doing the heater core was a real bear. And the blend doors were well known for blowing foam and disintegrating. Would an '09 be similar? I see an '09 2.5/5MT with 176k somewhat locally, and while I realize the better half of its life is now gone, it's still going to be cheaper than anything new.

When you type in "Jetta blend door" most all results concern the MK4 Jetta and 2005 down model years. But I only gave it 15 seconds research.

The 2.5 is supposed to be good, but that's a lot of miles, no?
It gives pause, but, it’s supposed to be a good platform? Also, my daily is at 260k and that makes me think about a backup.

I would not want a VW of that age and miles unless I was the one who put them on.

A coworker has two north of 300k but he’s had them a very long time and does his own wrenching.

That would be a bummer. Trying to get another car on the cheap. Maybe I just have to ante up 15k.

If you like European cars of that vintage, check out the Saturn Astra. They shouldn't be too expensive, and they are much better than any VW :D

You still don't have to spend 15k on a good car, even in this market.

It doesn't seem like VW has gotten these heater core issues figured out yet. My heater core failed at the end of last year. The dealer instantly knew what the issue was with how quick they got it fixed. I thought it was a failed N82 valve stuck shut. I've heard of some blend door issues on Mk7s, but mine has been fine.

If you don't mind me asking, what price point would you like to be at? I don't know if I would have any suggestions of what to look for, but something might stick out to give a suggestion if I knew a goal for price.

If you don't mind me asking, what price point would you like to be at? I don't know if I would have any suggestions of what to look for, but something might stick out to give a suggestion if I knew a goal for price.
I'm cheap. I penciled in $3k at the start of the calendar year for a car, in hopes the market would come around. It hasn't. $5k would be fine. Could I drop $20k cash on a car? yes but I would rather not. Could I go higher and finance the rest? sure, we've been able to own cars for 10 years, it's not like I couldn't reap the benefits of owning from new, and "knowing" it'll be fine on the other side of 200k. And... I do drive 100 miles a day when I go into office, which is 2 and probably 3 days going forward. So justifying a "nice" car would be really nice... but let's be clear, I'm driving a 24 year old Camry at the moment. I'm content with it.

I can either find myself another commuter for work or I could find another Camry for my teenage daughter to drive around in. I "need" another car, but I'm picky. Easy to work on, decent mpg's, 4 doors and cheap tires. Cheap insurance (two teen drivers here). Another Camry would rock my boat... I could have 3 cars that take the same wheels (my '99 does not like spinning 16" rims but they do bolt on).

You can't find something in the in the 2012-2016 year range for 1/4 of new?
Surely you jest. I'm not interested in wholesale with all sorts of attendant issues, I'm not a mechanic, and rust repair is one of thing things I'm least good at.

Surely you jest. I'm not interested in wholesale with all sorts of attendant issues, I'm not a mechanic, and rust repair is one of thing things I'm least good at.
Just search Facebook or Craigslist. ANY used car can have attendant issues. Found these in 3 minutes,

Just search Facebook or Craigslist. ANY used car can have attendant issues. Found these in 3 minutes,

I do keep an eye on CL. However buying locally means dealing with rust too, so it’s a bit of a killjoy. Haven’t geared myself up for traveling out of state and taking a trip to find something rustfree.

And I do realize that any car has its attendant issues, the goal is to make sure I don’t pick a car with issues that I don’t want to / cannot deal with. My old VW, to do the heater core was something like 8 hours at a mechanic to rip out all of the dash; I didn’t have a garage and it takes me 2x as long as a rule to do anything, so I ruled that a job I didn’t want to do (and didn’t want to pay to have done). Have a garage now, so maybe I could live with that sort of job, not sure.

$3K to $5K range I would be looking for a late '00s domestic with lowish miles.
I've been biased against domestic for quite some time. Reluctant to drive hours to look at a car, only to find it's a rustbucket--but anything up here in the price range is more likely one than not.

Pointed out a used Camry to the wife but it was $17k. She thought it was a better idea to get a new Corolla instead--to which I thought "eww". If I'm going to spend that much I'd like to be comfortable.

Electing to email on the '09 Jetta anyhow. I'm getting frustrated at this car shopping mess; does not help that my car is seemingly down now (exhaust leak, so it's questionable to drive around--right after the cat).

What is uncomfortable in a Corolla over a Camry?
Smaller cars tend to ride rougher with higher NVH. Exceptions can abound but most reviews seem to bear this out, when not comparing wildly dissimilar.

The 2.5 or an ALH TDI is the only VWs I would consider. Good luck with the purchase.

Smaller cars tend to ride rougher with higher NVH. Exceptions can abound but most reviews seem to bear this out, when not comparing wildly dissimilar.
There is minimal difference between the two such that if you were a blindfolded passenger in both cars on back to back rides, you couldn't tell which was which. My Corolla rides the same as the larger Taurus I had last year, or at least I can't tell the difference. I'm sure it would ride better than a 25 year old Camry too.

Back