2008 Honda Civic sedan Spark plug replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Originally Posted By: Artem
33.gif
its the same thing cost wise.

$6 Platinums every 50k
$10 Iridiums every 100k

Not everyone is mechanically included and has the tools to DIY. Paying someone to do it every 50k is stupid when you can use quality products and change at the recommended interval (designed to SAVE you MONEY!!)

You cheap guys are idiots, in my book.

Where does the OP say anything about having a shop/dealer do the work? Since he made no mention, I think most responses safely assume he's DIY.

Anyway, the day I spend $10 for some gimmick like iridium spark plugs is the day that... well that day won't ever come. Unless you've got some super-exotic engine or one that's VERY hard on plugs, double plats will cover 100k at 1/2 cost.

Am I cheap? Maybe. But spending an extra $4(x4,6,8) on something that provides no real benefit seems to better fit the definition of idiocy.

Iridiums are not a 'gimmick', they're OE for many manufactures.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01

Where does the OP say anything about having a shop/dealer do the work? Since he made no mention, I think most responses safely assume he's DIY.

Anyway, the day I spend $10 for some gimmick like iridium spark plugs is the day that... well that day won't ever come. Unless you've got some super-exotic engine or one that's VERY hard on plugs, double plats will cover 100k at 1/2 cost.

Am I cheap? Maybe. But spending an extra $4(x4,6,8) on something that provides no real benefit seems to better fit the definition of idiocy.

The Civic comes with Iridium plugs from the factory and suggest 105k service intervals.

I can see upgrading plugs but downgrading??? I personally wouldn't do it. Why take that chance?

I don't see why anyone would suggest the use of cheaper parts when a person is asking about a replacement. I always recommend OEM spec or better.

You wouldn't recommend Conventional oil to someone who's car comes standard with M1 Synthetic, and say "this oil will serve you just fine, why pay more for synthetic" would you?

Anyway, i posted my
49.gif

Replace them at no more than 7 years or about 75,000 miles with the oem spec platinum plug to avoid seize or compatibility issues.

I never understood why people think they know better then the OEM engineers who did a ton of R&D to determine an appropriate interval and choose to make up their own intervals.
33.gif

one person says every 30k
another says every 50k, 75k, every other oil change, etc
coffee2.gif

Sorry,the oem plugs on my 02 Accord were platinum. If the oem spec is Iridium,then Iridium plugs should go back in. It's experience,you'll understand,when you get some. I changed the plugs in my Accord at about 7.5 years and 92,000 miles. 2 of my plugs were very tight. I plan to change them,next time,at 7 years or 75,000 miles. I only suggest,to others,what I have had success in doing.

^well i've had great success doing 3k OCI's since 98 but i don't go around telling people to do so as well.

I use a big breaker bar and the plugs come out like a hot knife through butter. Never had any issues with stuck plugs.

Lol. With a little more experience,you'll learn to use a socket and an SK torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: unixguru
As far as plugs go I always try to get NGK Iridium.

How in the heck do you gap these things? I heard that touching the Iridium tip at all is bad.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: unixguru
As far as plugs go I always try to get NGK Iridium.

How in the heck do you gap these things? I heard that touching the Iridium tip at all is bad.

with a proper plug gapping tool that only touches the grounding strap. they are about $3 at auto zone.

and you really shouldnt need to gap it anyways, they come pre-gapped.

Yeah Iridium is already gapped. You should make sure the ones you bought are gapped right per OEM specs.

The ones NGK had listed for my VW were wrong. I bought Bosch ones.

The ones from Denso for my Civic were wrong. I bought NGK ones.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Go by the manual and when it is time to replace the plugs go with the exact O.E.M.plugs. You will thank yourself.

+1

I put Bosch plugs in my '02 Civic that were supposed to be a direct replacement for the stock NGK's and they caused random misfires. Put new NGK's in and I haven't had a misfire yet.

These Hondas seem to be very particular about plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back