2007 Sonata Pinging + DTCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I have a 2007 2.4l Sonata with 166k miles. Plugs changed at 120k, cold air intake filter replaced just this summer.

Initially I had code P2096 come on with no adverse effects, so I just ignored it because my province got rid of emissions testing so I couldn't care less about an ill-performing cat. One day the induction noise from the intake sounded extremely loud, and RPMs would not go past 5k in auto mode, and if in tiptronic mode it would ping if pushed past 5k. I checked the codes that day, had P2096 and P0030 (Primary O2), reset the codes and only P2096 came back for a few days. Today, the RPMs won't go past 4k, and I have codes P2096, P0136, P0140 (the latter are for SECONDARY O2 sensors...), but no code for primary O2. I tried putting premium fuel in it yesterday just to see what would happen but there's no difference. I have no clue what's going on here... If I rev it out to 4K in auto mode it just feels like it is in neutral at that rev range. Now from what I understand, secondary O2 sensor doesn't matter if it malfunctions....

If I remember right, some of the Sonatas from that era are sensitive to the condition of the battery. The battery might start the car just fine, but for whatever reason, the ECU can act goofy and make the car ping because of the battery. Some have disconnected and reconnected the battery cable with success. And don't think because you got it started the alternator shouldn't make it possible because it is.

The MAF sensors are known to be wonky on this era Sonata's and Santa Fe's. I would look into this area.

Last edited:
It does have a problem finding idle when the battery is disconnected and reconnected (stalls a few times and surges) for a little while, I believe this may be MAF related. I'm thinking either MAF, clogged cat, or clogged fuel filter.

Originally Posted by F24Sonata
It does have a problem finding idle when the battery is disconnected and reconnected (stalls a few times and surges) for a little while, I believe this may be MAF related. I'm thinking either MAF, clogged cat, or clogged fuel filter.

I read cleaning a MAF sensor is pretty painless and cost the price of a can of cleaner ( specifically formulated for the MAF ) .

Do not know if your fuel filter is internal or external to the fuel tank . If external , they are also usually inexpensive and relatively easy to change out .

I have never had to change a cat . I hear they are pricy & like all exhaust work , I anticipate it would be a chore .

Look up the codes & print them out .

Best of luck , :)

THe first thing I would do is check exhaust back pressure. If you want a quick down and dirty way remove the front 02 sensor and take it for a ride to see if it runs better

although a dirty cat-code may not be an issue its air + fuel in + exhaust OUT, thus a clogged cat or muffler issue can choke any engine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back