2007 A6 Factory Fill question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the internal engine components have pockets where oil 'pools'. After the initial fill, it's impossible to get all the oil out. Some oil will always remain in the engine.

That's my best guess.

It sounds like Audi figures on 1.2 quarts being trapped in the engine and/or oil cooler during a typical oil change.

This interests me because on most of our vehicles it always takes me more oil to refill after an oil change than the owner's manual says it should by anywhere from half to a whole quart. I let the oil drain for at least 10 minutes and I do my oil changes with the car on ramps, which tilts the front of the car slightly up. I think that normal oil changes, especially when done in a production shop, don't let as much of the old oil out as my technique does. There is always going to be some oil trapped in the engine.

VW/Audi quality control leaves a lot to be desired. When I first bought my 1.8T in 2002, the manual said 4.2 quarts. It took 3.8 quarts to get it to the full mark. Then in 2004, the updated the filter and it took 4.0 quarts, although many dealers think it's 4.5.

I now have a 2.0T FSI and the manual states 4.4 quarts. I have yet to do an oil change but everyone I've spoken to on VWVortex, Audiworld, and some VW techs state that it is at least 4.6. Some go as high as 5.3. So
confused.gif

When you put your 4 quarts in and checkit, itw ill be at the full mark. Start the engine and let the oil filter take the new oil...then shut it off and check it. Whoa!! You are half a quart low! Put half quart in and BAM, right athte full line.

Amazes me how many people NEVER bother to start the engine for a moment to get the oil into the filter and check the level.

Quote:

When you put your 4 quarts in and checkit, itw ill be at the full mark. Start the engine and let the oil filter take the new oil...then shut it off and check it. Whoa!! You are half a quart low! Put half quart in and BAM, right athte full line.

Amazes me how many people NEVER bother to start the engine for a moment to get the oil into the filter and check the level.

I just fill my filter before I screw it on.

Jon

Right, but vw's have an oil cooler which drains out and filling the filter leaves room for more oil still.

VAG products stink when it comes to oil capacity. 3.8, 4.2, 4.6, 4.8, 6.3....----, cant they just use an even amount and leave it! My rabbit manual states 5.8 qts, online it says 6.3. At the dealer we use 6 quarts even and its full.

PLEASE start the engine before checking final oil level for the most accurate readings.

Quote:

VAG products stink when it comes to oil capacity. 3.8, 4.2, 4.6, 4.8, 6.3....----, cant they just use an even amount and leave it!

Why would they want to manipulate the size of the pan, or anything else, just to hit an "even" quart size? Makes no sense to me...You have some places that use liters, some use imperial gallons, etc.
dunno.gif

I always check the oil level immediately after the oil change and a day later after the oil has fully circulated. On my 1.8T, 4 quarts always got it to the top of the hash mark on the dipstick. 4.2 got it to the first bend. 4.5 quarts put it about 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the second bend.

Yeah VW's are pita when it comes to oil capacity. My Toyota calls for 6.4 quarts. I put in 6.4 quarts and viola, right to the exact top of the full mark. Wish it was that simple in my VWs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back