2006 VW Passat 2.0L Amsoil AFL 5W40 10,950 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to test drive a Passat a few months ago. After we stopped for gas it would not start. I had walked down to the dealer from work. Luckily the gas station was near my work, so I just walked back. It does not give me a warm feeling when a brand new car breaks down during a test drive.

Having been a VW, Mazda, Ford, Toyota, and Volvo owner, I can tell you that the VW and Volvo were less reliable when the cars were new.. But the Euro cars also age much better. OUr Camry has about 80,000 miles on it now compared to 70,000 for the Passat and the Toyota feels about 10 years older. It just feels tired whereas the Passat still feels tight. The bottom line is, the Japanese cars are going to be more reliable when new, but if I want to keep a car for 200k miles, give me the VW. Also, if I have to spend a lot of time in the car, give me a VW anyday because the Toyota is boring as ________ to drive.

But VWs are not low maintenance cars - you have to make sure you do the routine service and run the synthetic oil. If you do that, they'll run forever. All those 1.8T turbos that sludge up?....I can pretty much guarantee you the owners either didn't run the right oil or didn't change the oil frequently enough and VW's just are not robust to neglect.

Quote:

But VWs are not low maintenance cars - you have to make sure you do the routine service and run the synthetic oil. If you do that, they'll run forever. All those 1.8T turbos that sludge up?....I can pretty much guarantee you the owners either didn't run the right oil or didn't change the oil frequently enough and VW's just are not robust to neglect.

cheers.gif

Out of the many thousands of car XX sold, exactly what sort of cars do you imagine you're going to read about on a site named www.myXXlemon.com? Everyone who has a problem wants to ________; people who are satisfied largely keep mum.

It's rather like the debate currently going on about the VW Passat getting Consumer Reports' lowest rating. The real question, in this case, is not "Who's worst?" but "What is the actual RANGE between best and worst?" Turns out that the actual situation isn't all as horrible as "VW is WORST!!!" might suggest. In fact, in another set of data, VW has made enormous strides improving their product in recent years. It's not always so much WHAT we see, as what we go in WANTING to see.....

BTW, I drive a SAAB. Now do a CR and tell me how impossibly WEIRD having the key in the floor is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back