Amsoil SSO 0w-30 9,000 miles 14 months 2006 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Originally Posted By: FZ1
I'd forget the Bio Syn and run one of the other 2 oils. Is that tan accurate for PP?

Yes, 0.9 is the figure that Blackstone gave me for the PP TAN.

What do you all think about the 0.5 percent fuel found in the Amsoil over 14 months?
NBD. It is what it is.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Im going to guess that the Amsoil has around 2% fuel in it.
Why do I think that?
Well, Blackstone uses that 385 minimum number as a base line and every 20F below that is 1% fuel on the report. Hence, since you are at 375F that is 10F below their baseline so they show an even 0.5% fuel.
My issue is that the 385F number is low for a high quality syn. Amsoil specs 435F. Thats the new formula so Im using my standard 420F baseline when I look at other synthetic blackstone reports. Just as arbitrary as their number, yes, but I believe its closer to what an actual fuel test would show.
I believe this is why you have higher iron here even considering the longer run.
I think this should be backed off to closer to 7500 miles.

...which would be close to driving 1 year instead 'possibly' instead of the 14 months if you go on averages/month.

The OP describes 'mostly city miles' with 15-30 mile trips, but that doesn't tell us if that includes the implied stop 'n go frequenting.

Sorry, was extremely busy the past 3 months, so I neglected to return and post what Blackstone Labs' comments were on my oil analysis.

ItsLimJim, there was virtually no stop-and-go driving.

Here's what Blackstone had to say about the OCI:

"We're glad to see that bearing wear has improved considerably, as expected, and all other wear is still okay. The longer oil run likely explains why iron read higher, and it's really not too concerning. Silicon increased, and that could be dirt due to poor air filtration, so check your air filter, just to be sure. A minor amount of fuel was found, but that probably didn't contribute to wear. The TBN is good at 3.2, and the TAN is better than last time at 5.4 (maybe this oil has a lower TAN to begin with). Still, a 10,000-mile oil run should be just fine for next time."

Thanks for your insights ItsLimJim and Colt45ws. Shucks, I thought Blackstone did an actual fuel test to come up with the figure of 0.5 percent fuel in my oil, not simply estimate or guesstimate the fuel percentage by choosing 385* F as a baseline flashpoint, below which they add 1 percent fuel for every 20* Fahrenheit below 385.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back