2006 Toro Push/self propelled mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Don't run a 5W-30 PCMO in your lawn mower. An air cooled lawn mower engine sees much higher oil temps than a car engine does, and the oil will get very thin. Use a good SAE 30 oil or an HDEO like Rotella.

I used M1 5-10-30 oils in my Honda walk behind with no problems. The mower is 22 years old. Your advise is not sound IMO. In fact I use this oil in my generator, riding mower, pressure washer with great results.

I think the splashability of sae 30 or 40 oil is very much alike when warm and since a 5w-40 synthetic will splash better than a straight 30 when cold, you made a really good choice with that T6.

It is better oil for that mower than a straight sae30 dino, even if the manual states sae30.

I'm the second guy who has been in the OPE business for a long time (25 years, Hondoman has me beat by 5 years), and I'm the third guy who will tell everyone to use a quality straight 30 weight high detergent motor oil in your lawnmower. The only OPE application that I can recommend a multi-weight motor oil for is something that gets used in the winter, like a snow blower or generator.
The problem is that ALL multi-weight oils (even synthetic oils) contain VII additive. High heat is the enemy of VII and will destroy it. In a high-load/high-heat application (like summer use of a mulching mower with an air-cooled engine), what you will eventually end up with is a 5 or 10 weight oil with high oil consumption and sludge buildup. A quality SAE 30 motor oil is the way to go in a lawnmower. It will stay in-grade when subjected to very high temperatures and will not sludge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
The problem is that ALL multi-weight oils (even synthetic oils) contain VII additive.

Oh dear, the can of worms has been opened.

Originally Posted By: wag123
I'm the second guy who has been in the OPE business for a long time (25 years, Hondoman has me beat by 5 years), and I'm the third guy who will tell everyone to use a quality straight 30 weight high detergent motor oil in your lawnmower. The only OPE application that I can recommend a multi-weight motor oil for is something that gets used in the winter, like a snow blower or generator.
The problem is that ALL multi-weight oils (even synthetic oils) contain VII additive. High heat is the enemy of VII and will destroy it. In a high-load/high-heat application (like summer use of a mulching mower with an air-cooled engine), what you will eventually end up with is a 5 or 10 weight oil with high oil consumption and sludge buildup. A quality SAE 30 motor oil is the way to go in a lawnmower. It will stay in-grade when subjected to very high temperatures and will not sludge.

They don't sheer though...

2 experienced professionals, the owner's manual, and myself (X2) have advised straight 30---and what do you go out and do?
Why did you ask in the first place?

In deference to those who recommend SAE30, Tecumseh does only recommend SAE30 for their small engines. They're one of the few engine manufacturers who still do recommend a straight-grade oil, but they do. Briggs and Honda recommend some form of multi-grade in their engines.

That said, the Rotella T6 5W-40 won't hurt it a bit. Whatever you do is better than leaving the oil unchanged for seven years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back