2005 Honda Civic OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has a 2005 Honda Civic with the 1.7L and auto trans. The car has about 94k miles on it, but my sister isn't very good at maintaining vehicles so my mom has asked me to do the oil changes. The car is spec'd to run 5w20, and I'm thinking about running pennzoil platinum 5w20. How long of an oil change interval could I use for this car? It is a daily driver, and is mostly driven around town with the occasional long highway run.

I would say at least 7.5k with a quality filter like wix, napa gold, purolator ect..

I wouldn't do over 10k with out a UOA to back it up

I had a '01 Civic EX, 5 speed. I bought it at 52,000 miles and made the switch to Mobil 1 5W20 with a Bosch filter. I rountinely drove mostly highway miles back and forth to school and changed the oil every 5,000 miles. When I did change it, the oil was VERY, VERY clean in color. I never did a UOA but felt that the oil held up very good for that OCI. I'm sure it could have gone longer but felt comfortable with 5,000 OCI.

At 94,000 miles, she will be looking at a timing belt change(and water pump) which if done at the dealer, will run about $800(quoted from Honda dealer). Also, a transmission service will be required and only replace with Honda ATF(very picky transmissions). You can do the spark plugs very easily as well as a coolant flush. I sold my car at 95,000 because I wasn't driving it being on-call with my job and having a fleet vehicle. That and I didn't want to sink that kind of money and effort into the car.

My 2001 ran PP 5w20 at 10k runs due to my highway-salesjob lifestyle. Never an issue. 227k when I sold it, ran like a top. Amsoil in the AT, drained and filled every 50k.

I drive a 2002 Civic, 5 speed, and as far as the oci goes, if she falls under the severe category, mostly short trips and/or driving in extreme hot or cold, it is every 5000 miles. If your sister, like me, is almost all freeway driving, then the civic falls into the normal service category, and Honda recommends changing the oil every 10000 miles.

PP will easily do either OCI. The nice thing about it is that if you are changing the oil every 5000 miles (as it sounds like your sister falls into the severe category), but you aren't able to get to in until 6000, you know the oil will be able to handle it.

Originally Posted By: cancov
I had a '01 Civic EX, 5 speed. I bought it at 52,000 miles and made the switch to Mobil 1 5W20 with a Bosch filter. I rountinely drove mostly highway miles back and forth to school and changed the oil every 5,000 miles. When I did change it, the oil was VERY, VERY clean in color. I never did a UOA but felt that the oil held up very good for that OCI. I'm sure it could have gone longer but felt comfortable with 5,000 OCI.

At 94,000 miles, she will be looking at a timing belt change(and water pump) which if done at the dealer, will run about $800(quoted from Honda dealer). Also, a transmission service will be required and only replace with Honda ATF(very picky transmissions). You can do the spark plugs very easily as well as a coolant flush. I sold my car at 95,000 because I wasn't driving it being on-call with my job and having a fleet vehicle. That and I didn't want to sink that kind of money and effort into the car.

This car used to be my moms and was serviced routinely by the dealer until she bought her 2011 Fit a few weeks ago and sold the car to my sister. I will look for the records of the service but it is in great mechanical condition. I plan to use a PureOne filter. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will probably start at 7k and do a UOA to see how it looks.

I'm confident that 7,000 on that oil and that car should be fine. Again, my oil was very clean and felt bad dumping it.

I would check the maintenance records to see if the 100,000 mile service has be performed, most notably the timing belt. Keep that belt changed at 100,000 mile intervals and your nieces will be driving that car. Most of the time when you change the timing belt, you change the water pump. Its right there and no reason not to.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I would say at least 7.5k with a quality filter like wix, napa gold, purolator ect..

I wouldn't do over 10k with out a UOA to back it up

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back