2005 F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to oportunity to buy a real nice 05 F150 Supercrew XLT 4x4 with 55k miles from a good friend one owner for 14k. He's in a tight spot and needs it paid off. Are there any problems with the 5.4L and tranny combo other than the spark plugs breaking off in the head that may make me think of not buying this truck?

Last edited:
Some of the 2005 to 2008 F150's have a frame "vibration" problem over 55mph. If this truck has it and new tires and good rims dont fix it nothing will. I spent $2000 on my 2006 and never got it fixed. Be careful!

I'm not a ford guy but isn't the plugs a bear to get at IIRC on the 5.4?,not that that's a problem just saying.

Thank you, so it'll be a vibration like a tire out of ballance, something that will really jump out at you. Is it something that develops over time or it either happens or it doesn't. I've never driven the truck but I've riden in it a while back.

The whole truck shakes.Best way I can describe it it's like a gaint hand shaking the whole truck. You can see the seats shake, the bed shake, the steering wheel shake, etc.

Most of them do it off right off the lot. Some do it after a period of miles. Do a search on google for "F150 death shake". It will scare you.

Good luck! I could write two pages on what I tried to fix mine. Never could..

Last edited:
I drove the truck yesterday and I didn't notice anything unusual. I thought the truck drove very well. Do you think the truck will develop this shaking thing if it doesn't already have it? I've read alot on the spark plug thing. I'm going to try and change them as soon as I get the truck it only has 51k on it. I looked up the replacement one piece champion spark plug I think its #7989 or something like that and the extractor for the broke ones. I'm going to try something before I change the plugs. I've read that some guys get them out no problems, some guys have them break. I've also read the sooner you change them the better. I don't know but I have a plan. I'm going to run several tanks of 93 octaine and techron and run the truck pretty hard to see if I can clean some of the carbon off the end of the plugs. Then break them loose 1/8 of a turn or so soak them with some very effective carbon cleaner I use on my AR15 overnight then hit them with some kroyl in the morning and see what happens I'm going to buy the extractor as well incase my plan ends in failure.

Here's what I did, before I changed the plugs in my 05 F250. For a month prior to changing the plugs I ran Marvel Mystry Oil in every tank, befor I changed them. I mixed 6oz per every 10 gallons of gas. Every plug came out very easy. All I had to do is break them loose, and hand spin them out. I posted this process over on a Ford truck forum, and several people ahve done this with the same sucess. I put in the Champions, also. I have 20,00o miles and no ptoblems so far. I put the nickel high temp anti-seize around the lower shell, also. Don't waste your money on running the 93 octane gas, its not going to do anything, but empty your wallet. When I did mine I tryed some of the carb cleaner Ford recomended in the TSB, I don't think a drop worked its way down the heads before trying to take them out, even with breaking them loose 1/8 turn.

Last edited:
You can spray a little bit of PB Blaster in the spark plug holes the night before you do the plugs, then spray a little more right before you pull them out.

You won't have a problem stripping them or breaking them off in the head unless they are very rusty from the AC dripping on them forever.

Thank's motorcity you have modified my plan. I'll do the MMO thing I like MMO I've used it for a long time in the truck I just sold a 98 6.5td always in the fuel. Did you buy the special 9/16 plug socket from Ford or what did you use? I went to advanced and priced the champion plugs $20 a piece. I found on the auction site 8 champion #7898 plugs and the lyslle 65000 extractor set for $170 I think that's what I'm going to do. Any oppionions on that?

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
Thank's motorcity you have modified my plan. I'll do the MMO thing I like MMO I've used it for a long time in the truck I just sold a 98 6.5td always in the fuel. Did you buy the special 9/16 plug socket from Ford or what did you use? I went to advanced and priced the champion plugs $20 a piece. I found on the auction site 8 champion #7898 plugs and the lyslle 65000 extractor set for $170 I think that's what I'm going to do. Any oppionions on that?

Its not a bad idea to have the extractor handy. I bought an SK 9/16 socket, but if I remember right the Champions use a larger size, to put in. If you use the anti-seize, use it spaeingly around the shell, don't get it on the electrode of the plug, it will cause a mis-fire. My truck had 44,00 when I did mine.

Last edited:
Awsome, thanks for the info motorcity. When I get it done, I'll post on this post how it went. I'm picking up the truck on Friday, and I'll starting dosing the MMO for at least a month before I do the deed. I would assume the next larger size for the champions would be 5/8?

Post on how it turns out. When I pulled mine out, I was able to wipe the carbon off the lower shell. The MMO softend it that much. MAybe on your last tank you could run the MMO double strength, 8 oz per 10 gallons. If I recall thats what I did, to make sure it worked.

My advice dont change the spark plugs yourself. I can not explain enough how hard this is. Too great a chance of something going wrong. Make sure you use motorcraft plugs too.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Make sure you use motorcraft plugs too.

There's nothing wrong with using Champion's. I'm not a big fan of them, but in this case, its the better choice. I have over 20,000 on my set and notice no difference and have had no problems.The Motorcraft design is [censored], why put back in a plug that is soo poorly designed. their are alot of other people who have gone to the Champions also with no problems.

Champions are a good plug, not saying they are not. Put Fords, especially the engines in the F150 don't like them. I would not comment on the F150 but I have had 5 of them all years and the "death shake" and plug problem is a big concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back