2005 Corolla P0741 trouble code

The 2005 Corolla I just got for my niece and grand nieces just threw a P0741 code.
P0741: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit → Performance or Stuck Off

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

Miles? My guess is the torque converter lock up is worn out. There are solenoids controlling it that may have failed or are sticking, but likely the TC needs replacement. You can keep driving it like that but gas mileage will drop and fluid will get hot if you drive at high speed.

What color is the fluid? Smell burnt? Any hesitation or shuddering? Likely caused by lack of maintenance of the fluid. Time to do a pan drop, and then a flush and see if the the light goes off. Drain and refill is around 3.3 quarts. T-IV fluid.

I assume it won't pass smog in CA with the light on?

Thankfully in California it's the sellers responsibility to provide a passed smog test done in the past 90 days, without which you can't transfer the title, so I suspect that hurdle has been crossed and it won't be an issue until 2 years from now.

What color is the fluid? Smell burnt? Any hesitation or shuddering? Likely caused by lack of maintenance of the fluid. Time to do a pan drop, and then a flush and see if the the light goes off. Drain and refill is around 3.3 quarts. T-IV fluid.
The ATF looked pretty good. I MityVac'ed out 3 quarts and put 3 quarts of MaxLife back in. Car drove very well when I had it.

Seller gave me a recent smog test as it was registered in August. Used that for registration. The Check Engine light was not on.
Pretty easy to pass a smog test with that code if you get the required number of emissions monitors to complete before the code sets.

The ATF looked pretty good. I MityVac'ed out 3 quarts and put 3 quarts of MaxLife back in. Car drove very well when I had it.
Fluid change won't fix a mechanical problem.

The Corolla has an A245E? Do you know if the ATF was changed before being put up for sale?

I wonder if the wrong ATF was used? The A245E is spec'ed for Dex-III, Except for the Corolla that specs 3309 (T-IV). I don't know what makes the Corolla different.

The Corolla has an A245E? Do you know if the ATF was changed before being put up for sale?

I wonder if the wrong ATF was used? The A245E is spec'ed for Dex-III, Except for the Corolla that specs 3309 (T-IV). I don't know what makes the Corolla different.
2003-2006 Corolla A245E specs T-IV (3309) as per Toyotas ATF application chart
Older models took Dex II/III

Click test the TCC Solenoid (Solenoid SL) with a capable scan tool.
@clinebarger and @The Critic
I do not have such a scan tool. I would consider buying one, if the price is not prohibitive. I would need to learn how to use it.
Alternatively I will need to find a decent shop; I am a little gun shy of this but may end up at a shop anyway.

Can you recommend a scan tool? Thx.

Per @clinebarger (and @The Critic) I Amazon'ed one of these wannabe Techstream tools. Wifey had a nice (but old) Windows 10 Toshiba laptop; software installation and configuration was not too bad after turning off Defender and Firewall to allow the driver access. Included instructions were poor. There are Youtube videos that helped tremendously...
Hooked it up to my '01 Tundra and it worked!
Then tried our '13 GS350 to see more information. I do not claim to know what I am doing; gimmie points and plugs anyday.
The app recognizes your Toy/Lex:
1696721593986.jpg

Here's the main screen:
1696721639886.jpg

My guess is this is the transmission data I need:
1696721694979.jpg

I will get over to Capitola and check the Corolla next week. Heaven help me....

My niece called this morning and told me the Check Engine light went out. I did MityVac out 3 qts trans fluid (looked pretty fresh) and fill with MaxLife before I gave it to them.
Will it come back? Most likely yes... I think I will pull the pan, swap the filter and have a look. I will still run the TechStream tests.

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance. @Trav any guidance?

Back