2004 Silverado - tailgate handle bezel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the other day that the tailgate bezel on my Silverado fell off. It was there at the farm supply store, and wasn't there when I got home.

This is a replacement that the body shop installed this spring after I was hit in the back end.

How do these bezels attach? Clips, double sided foam tape, screws?

The guy that I'm dealing with at the body shop claims that these fall off all of the time, which I think is a really lame excuse. Before the wreck, I never had a problem for 4 years, and Dad has had his Sierra for 6 years with no problems.

It appears that he's simply trying to avoid replacing it, and I say they didn't install it correctly, as nothing should just fall off.

Never had one fall off my 2000, Mom's 2002 or my 2004.

I think that they snap on but could use tape. Not screwed on. Like I said never had any of ours fall off so don't know for sure what holds it on.

But I do KNOW that your body shop guy is full of it. I'd bet they used an after market/used one and that is why it did not stick/stay on.

Take care, bill

The factory t-gate handles can fall off. The snaps can be damaged from the pulling, cross links also break.

Last edited:
I worked for GM for over 4 years in their Customer Service dept. and in the dept. that buys back potential Lemon Law vehicles before the owners have the chance to file a Lemon Law claim. I was working at GM when they built your Silverado, and I never once heard of an owner having a tailgate bezel fall off. Headlight lenses falling off of Pontiacs, yes. Tailgate bezels, no.

I agree they probably used some aftermarket part that is not the same as OE and it fell off due to a poor fit and quality. If it's not that expensive maybe you could just save yourself the hassle of dealing with the body shop that doesn't want to stand behind their work and just get an OE bezel from the Chevy dealer.

Good luck with the bezel.

Originally Posted By: willix
The factory t-gate handles can fall off. The snaps can be damaged from a impact, cross links also break.

I'm not having problems with the handle.

All of the pictures on the internet.... and NONE of them show the back side of one of these bezels...

(*sigh*)

I think they clip in/on. Two tabs on the top according to the diagram I'm looking at.

So the bottom has a edge that goes in first then the two tabs on top click on the tailgate skin.

image0119.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
Broken/missing tailgate bezels on those trucks are very common around here. I thought it was a well-known issue for those trucks. I think we actually have one in stock at Napa. Next time I'm there, I'll take a look at if I remember.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Broken/missing tailgate bezels on those trucks are very common around here. I thought it was a well-known issue for those trucks. I think we actually have one in stock at Napa. Next time I'm there, I'll take a look at if I remember.

Wow. Amongst Dad and I... and three for Bill... there's five GMT800's that have never lost one.

My next door neighbor has had three GMT800's... (99, 03, 06) I'll have to ask him if he's ever lost one.

I just got an email back from my neighbor, who manages a construction equipment dealership.

He only buys Chevy/GMC trucks (1500's to 3500's), several at a time.

He knows of replacing one, and it broke from abuse.

It sounds like it may be more of a problem down south, where heat is likely a factor for them to fail.

From the pictures on that site, it looks like there are two foam pads on each side of the opening.... I wonder if those have adhesive on them, to help keep it from falling off.

Can anyone confirm that for me?

Here's the image that I'm referring to. Do the rectangular foam pieces on each end have adhesive on them?

ckpic9.JPG

I've sold 11 of them so far this year in my parts department, I think it happens more often to people that lower the tailgate in a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: rat
I've sold 11 of them so far this year in my parts department, I think it happens more often to people that lower the tailgate in a regular basis.

Likely. The one on my uncle's '01 broke and they've never replaced it.

The gates get used, multi drivers doing a jobs stop to stop really don't care about being delicate with the latch handle. They surely break and the link rods break. I'v had to fix em more than once. we have about 20 chev/gmc PUs.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

I see it a lot too, but it's almost always on '99-'02 trucks, and they are almost always work trucks, practically without exception.

In this case it's almost certainly a cheapo aftermarket replacement or improper installation that's the cause.

a lot of 99-06 style Chevy and GMCs has that problem Advance Auto Parts carries the bezel I can't remember the price off the top of my head but the price isn't that much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back