2004 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L Oil leak(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The PVC system was much to blame for the sludge problems up until about 2003/04, when they re-designed it.

The water pump is also an issue. As it begins to go bad and leak (bearings), the coolant can be directed into the crankcase.

When my daughter's water pump went bad (impeller broke apart), a UOA indicated no coolant in the oil. BUT..........the new, improved water pump design has a different timing chain pulley, so a new water pump also requires an entire new timing chain kit. Fortunately, I am friends with a MOPAR mechanic that does work on the side for about $40/hour. He has been my hero many times and I take care of him well.

Several mechanics I talked to about this engine said they prefer not to work on them due to all the headaches with customer come backs.

My 2000 Concorde 2.7 has 80K on it and runs perfectly. Probably around 100K I plan to replace the water pump. Is it necessary to use OEM parts or are any of the aftermarket part good enough? What did you use and what did the parts cost? Thanks

ledsling My 2000 Concorde 2.7 has 80K on it and runs perfectly. Probably around 100K I plan to replace the water pump. Is it necessary to use OEM parts or are any of the aftermarket part good enough? What did you use and what did the parts cost? Thanks [/quote said:
My assistance will be limited, since we destroyed all records when her Sebring was totaled.

Your car, I believe, is in the "sludge era", so maintain the PCV system and change oil often.

As stated above, our mechanic works at a Chrysler garage and does work on the side. On tough jobs like this (labor wise) he insists on OEM parts because if you have to go back in, it will cost way more that the savings from aftermarket. Many here agree on timing chain/belts and buried water pump jobs.

We (he) got our OEM parts at 10% above dealer cost. I "think" we paid around $350 for both the water pump and the timing chain kit. Total cost for the job with labor was around $650 +/-. He charges by the job, but usually about $40/hour, give or take. I have a poor memory, but I am pretty confident we paid less than $800 for the complete job. Dealer cost, I imagine, would be around $1,500? +/-

Important is that they changed the water pump design, which requires all new timing chain components. Your 2000 might be different than our 2004.
main.JPG

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. There is TONS of info on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back