2003 Honda LX w/ neglected transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oiltard
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
After so many miles with original fluid I'm not sure I would want to exchange all fluid at once.

Fresh fluid is better than old fluid. Fresh fluid won't hurt a thing. Crusty fluid isn't holding the transmission together.

I fully understand that old fluid is not holding the tranny together, however all that clutch material will not be drained with the old fluid and some will be left in the tranny. The new fluid may cause some chunks to fall off and cause possible issues.

All I'm saying is: don't expect to exchange all fluid after so many miles and walk away thinking that it will last another 150k miles, not with that kind of change interval.

After so many miles with original fluid I'm not sure I would want to exchange all fluid at once.

Fresh fluid is better than old fluid. Fresh fluid won't hurt a thing. Crusty fluid isn't holding the transmission together.

I fully understand that old fluid is not holding the tranny together, however all that clutch material will not be drained with the old fluid and some will be left in the tranny. The new fluid may cause some chunks to fall off and cause possible issues.

All I'm saying is: don't expect to exchange all fluid after so many miles and walk away thinking that it will last another 150k miles, not with that kind of change interval.

Hmm, my opinion and understanding is that said clutch material wouldn't be affected by a fluid exchange (as opposed to a flush). It's already in there, and fluid would be pumped through the transmission by its own pump, exactly as if the vehicle were simply being driven. Then again, you know what opinions are like...
wink.gif

FWIW, I agree that getting all the old fluid out and new fluid in won't make up for the neglect this poor tranny has suffered, but it will only serve to improve its chances to live on despite said mistreatment.

I would definitely stay on this friend(a life long sort of family friend) for keeping up on maintenance after getting it caught up. Whether that be a drain and fill now with another later; all new fluid by 30,000 miles from start of process would be the goal. If all at once and again within a year, fine.

Right now, this car needs tires and timing belt servicing before transmission(yeah, its that bad); as far as price and I'm sure they'd do it all if they had the money. You can tell the fluid is worn out while driving it but nothing severe as far as symptoms. It shifted hard into reverse the other day on a cold start for them, IIRC. So they asked and are trying to get their car up to snuff. I told them the entire deal with their vehicle. Just looking to help on the jobs I can do right away.

Thanks for the comments. If I get to do the work, etc, I'll post results and what was done.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: ctechbob
If its the I4 Accord there is no timing belt. They've got chains. And before anyone flames, yes the LX was available with the V6. Don't see many of those however.

It's a Civic.

Wow, reading fail on my part, bigtime.

Carry on...

I'm having good success with Valvoline Maxlife ATF + Lubegard Red in my Honda auto. That's more readily available and cheaper than Honda fluid anyway. Then you don't have to feel as guilty about the cost of doing 5 drain/fills
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
I'm having good success with Valvoline Maxlife ATF + Lubegard Red in my Honda auto. That's more readily available and cheaper than Honda fluid anyway. Then you don't have to feel as guilty about the cost of doing 5 drain/fills
wink.gif

If you search on Honda Civic-specific forums, you'll find a lot of people who like the Valvoline Maxlife ATF (the one with the Z-1 spec. there may be 2 different formulations), and a lot of people who swear that your car will immediately disintegrate if you put a drop of any non-Honda fluid in the AT.

I only use DW-1 (Honda's new ATF) in my car, but if I were in the OP's shoes, I'd probably go with the Maxlife. It's far more easily available and much cheaper, and lots of people report good results.

For those watching this thread - I posted my UOA of the Honda DW-1 fluid in the ATF and Brake Fluid OA forum. It only had 7800 miles on it, so it may be useful to consider it a near-VOA for comparison purposes, unless there's a VOA of the fluid elsewhere.

^Perhaps for additives and general viscosity, otherwise best to send a true virgin sample. You know, I have some extra HG Type-II MTF sitting in the garage from a friend's MTF change the other week, it's probably just enough to send a sample of that in.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Perhaps for additives and general viscosity, otherwise best to send a true virgin sample.

Obviously a VOA is a better VOA than my slightly UOA, but my slightly UOA is all we got right now, and it's not worthless as a baseline point of comparison for someone who runs a longer-run UOA.

Originally Posted By: JZiggy
wink.gif

If you search on Honda Civic-specific forums, you'll find a lot of people who like the Valvoline Maxlife ATF (the one with the Z-1 spec. there may be 2 different formulations), and a lot of people who swear that your car will immediately disintegrate if you put a drop of any non-Honda fluid in the AT.

Get a lot of this attitude on the Hyundai forums too . I just did 2 drain and fills on my 06 Accent today with Amsoil and the car is still in one piece....imagine that !! Hahahahaha !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back