2002 VW Passat 1.8T Syntec 0W30, 6436 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my most recent analysis for my wife's 02 1.8T Passat.

oilanalysis.jpg

I hadn't done one in a while, and was worried I had ran the oil a little too long. I didn't mean to go 64XX miles, but it turns out it wasn't a big deal according to the analysis. I was kinda surprised with the comment about the air filtration since I had just changed the filter(it was absolutely filthy) about 1000 miles before I collected this sample. I've been using GC almost exclusively except for a couple M1-0w40 changes when M1 was on sale. Filters have either been K&N or M1 filters, the larger size that VW reccommends for the 1.8T.

Looks great!! held grade, good TBN, wear metals in check,oil and air filter working good,i would say 10,000 isn't out of the question.

great report!

What miles are the universal averages based on?

On this note, why doesn't blackstone put that somewhere on the report? We are left to hope they say it in the notes. Most times they don't. Or am I missing it and it's on there somewhere? It's my biggest pet peeve reading these, not knowing the UA miles.

p.s. wow, oil did awesome. I imagine that car can be tough on oils with the Turbo?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: woodardhsd
I was kinda surprised with the comment about the air filtration since I had just changed the filter(it was absolutely filthy) about 1000 miles before I collected this sample.

And that probably explains it. An old clogged filter actually restricts flow, which means it really filters better (doesn't allow anything through). Of course it may also restrict fresh air intake if it's too clogged.

Quite a lot of calcium in this sample... was this the green or gold GC? Was the previous UOA also GC?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Quite a lot of calcium in this sample... was this the green or gold GC? Was the previous UOA also GC?

It was the Gold, the date on the bottom started with M09. The last analysis was also GC.

Originally Posted By: matt922
looks like she does quite a bit of highway driving?

Yep. 3 days/week she drives about 45 minutes to work, 80% or which is highway. The previous analysis was more short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back