2001 Saturn SL wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to get everyones input on what might be wrong with my car. 2001 Satrun SL with 150k miles. As soon as the key is turned all I hear is a clicking sound. The lights still turn on. Battery was changed out a year ago. Starter was changed out 3 months ago. Could it be the alternator?

Thanks

The battery is dead, question is, is it the battery or the alternator? I would put it on a charger, if it draws current( deflects the meter to full current charge) it may be a good battery. Charge it up fully , turn on your headlights for about 10 min and see if it turns over well. If it does , perhaps the battery is good and the alternator is not fully charging the battery. You can tell more if you have a multimeter. This is just the poor mans test.

If the click is under your dash it could be the anti theft relay, these cars have a pretty cheezy system. Does your "security" light work and or do anything odd?

So I woke up this morning thinking I would have to tow the car to my mechanic. Turned the key and the car started right away. Turned it off and on a couple of times and nothing. Took it to my mechanic and they have had the car at there shop all day and cant seem to recreate the issue. They have tested all electrical components and all test have passed. Plan on keeping it there overnight to see if the car will have issues in the morning.

Highly likely it is the starter solenoid. I recommend getting a delco solenoid. The cheap ones fail easily and the starter you bought probably has a cheapy on it.

The OE starter on these cars was probably a Valeo but Delco Remy Division of GM had been Delphi for awhile. Most Delco parts were just reboxed from somebody at that point because there is no AC or Delco parts factories anymore. We use Remy rebuilds at work with fairly good results overall. Remy is now an independant company but they seem to do a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back