2000 Mack DM690S Schaeffer 15w40 8957miles/304hours "Critical"

Concerning to say the least. My fear is a liner seal starting to let go. Coolant top off has maybe been a gallon to 6 quarts since I bought the truck in early 2021 so it's not using a lot of coolant.
1686270931489.jpg

1686270959375.jpg

just going to run it till it pops?
I’m going to continue running it and pull another oil sample in a couple weeks. If it becomes a trend I’ll have to do something. The biggest fear for me is throwing a rod or damaging the crankshaft because at this point it could probably be solved by an inframe overhaul right now.

I’m still bouncing back from the $14000 transmission replacement from a couple months ago and this is something that really was unexpected. I hope it’s just a fluke. I’ve had that with Blackstone and a couple other places before where I got totally wild readings on one sample and all was good on the next.

I’m going to continue running it and pull another oil sample in a couple weeks. If it becomes a trend I’ll have to do something. The biggest fear for me is throwing a rod or damaging the crankshaft because at this point it could probably be solved by an inframe overhaul right now.

I’m still bouncing back from the $14000 transmission replacement from a couple months ago and this is something that really was unexpected. I hope it’s just a fluke. I’ve had that with Blackstone and a couple other places before where I got totally wild readings on one sample and all was good on the next.
Very good. This could resemble a head gasket failure too. I wish you the best on either outcome. When we dump a bunch of money into old equipment it's hard to recoup the money back in resale. It's not an easy decision sometimes & I hate when this stuff comes up but it's why I recommend to anyone to keep an emergency repair savings on the ready. The labor rate on these big trucks is not for the faint of heart that's for sure. I see you're a fellow Missourian. I'm about 35 miles SE of Sedalia.

Very good. This could resemble a head gasket failure too. I wish you the best on either outcome. When we dump a bunch of money into old equipment it's hard to recoup the money back in resale. It's not an easy decision sometimes & I hate when this stuff comes up but it's why I recommend to anyone to keep an emergency repair savings on the ready. The labor rate on these big trucks is not for the faint of heart that's for sure. I see you're a fellow Missourian. I'm about 35 miles SE of Sedalia.
I'm about 50 miles NW of Springfield

A used Mixer truck is fairly worn out. Why else would it be sold?

I would pull the oil pan and pressure test the cooling system. You’ll have your answer.

I would pull the oil pan and pressure test the cooling system. You’ll have your answer.
I spoke with my sales rep and another person at Schaeffer who both advised to pull another sample at 100 hours and see what it looks like. I’ll be at roughly the 100 hour mark by next weekend so I’ll get another one on the way. I’m already tooling up in preparation to do an inframe because that’s what I’m suspecting will need to be done. Macks use silastic instead of liner O rings and this is something that happens with them over time.

I spoke with my sales rep and another person at Schaeffer who both advised to pull another sample at 100 hours and see what it looks like. I’ll be at roughly the 100 hour mark by next weekend so I’ll get another one on the way. I’m already tooling up in preparation to do an inframe because that’s what I’m suspecting will need to be done. Macks use silastic instead of liner O rings and this is something that happens with them over time.

This is unfortunate @Creekside and I hope it works out for you. That said, I gotta believe you are money ahead buying this used truck and doing the work you have done over buying a new dump truck.

Just my $0.02

This is unfortunate @Creekside and I hope it works out for you. That said, I gotta believe you are money ahead buying this used truck and doing the work you have done over buying a new dump truck.

Just my $0.02
Yes I don’t regret what I’ve done even with the unexpected problems. I’m glad to be able to do the overhaul myself even though physically I don’t want to do it. Sacrifices are part of the small business game though.

Back