2 Year old Tires from Tirerack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my two new Winterforce tires last week. The date code on them is from late 2011. The Winterforce tires I bought in late 2011 were from 2010.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

The good news is - they are from a different batch, so I hope the issue with the bad belts has been resolved by the time the "new" batch was in production.

Also, looking at the wear on the two "bad" tires, I didn't inflate them enough. I ran them at 32PSI ... and the outside of the tires were significantly more worn than the middle. Interesting.

They are snow tires going on a 4 wheel independent suspension car, so they won't be around long enough to be considered unsafe.

Good choice on winter shoes my fellow NY resident. I choose the WS70 Blizzak as my boot.

I don't think they'll be a problem. The Primacy MXV4 on my Accord now were from middle 2011 when I got them on this August. Have been fine.

The real fun will be dismounting the two bad snow tires by hand and then mounting them by hand.

Now that it's warming up, I can probably hold off for a week!

By any chance are you using a tire hammer, tire irons, and a bubble balancer?

I normally do all of our steel wheel tire swaps but farm out the alloy wheels, I'm too afraid of hitting the nice aluminum wheels.

How many winters do you expect to get out of them?
4 or less I think you'll be fine. Just make a point of storing them properly in the summer, in plastic bags in a cooler area like a basement.

Originally Posted By: redhat
By any chance are you using a tire hammer, tire irons, and a bubble balancer?

I normally do all of our steel wheel tire swaps but farm out the alloy wheels, I'm too afraid of hitting the nice aluminum wheels.

To break the bead I use a jack under the receiver on my Jeep, Then use some tire irons to get them off. I remove the tire past the inside of the wheel to avoid ruining the outside edge. But these are just crummy looking junkyard alloy wheels.

Once mounted I'll bring them to a tire shop across the street from work that will balance for a few dollars.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
How many winters do you expect to get out of them?
4 or less I think you'll be fine. Just make a point of storing them properly in the summer, in plastic bags in a cooler area like a basement.

2 or 3.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I wouldn't think a thing about it especially for winter tires.

They won't see extended 70MPH highway runs on a 80 degree day - good point!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I received my two new Winterforce tires last week. The date code on them is from late 2011. The Winterforce tires I bought in late 2011 were from 2010.

I always buy my tires from Tire Rack and they have always sent older [but new] tires. This is how they sell so cheap. A while back I worked at a tire shop chain and when we needed a special order tire we used TireRack. The prices we paid were the same everyone paid...no further discount.

Brule,

That's simply not true on how they sell so cheap. That makes no sense whatsoever. They are one of the biggest tire buyers in the US outside of OEMs & Walmart.

Originally Posted By: EricG
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-tire-changer-69686.html
The real fun will be dismounting the two bad snow tires by hand and then mounting them by hand.

I want that, but have no where to mount it
frown.gif

I bought tires from Tire Rack in 2011, ContiExtremeContacts on closeout. Three were from Feb 2009, the fourth from January 2008.

I don't know whether that is just TR's business model as some have suggested, or it's because the tires I bought were discontinued (I literally bought the LAST 4 ContiExtremeContact tires in 205/65-15) Unfortunately the successor DWS isn't/wasn't available in that size.

Why do they even bother to sell tires over 6 years old? (Some tires listed there will say "2005 production"

You can always stick to brand new releases (if the tire just came out, it can't be 2 years old!)

Walmart's tires are nice and fresh, though. Got the General Altimax HP fro another car, and they were only about 6 months old.

frown.gif

I haven't mounted mine. You can just put your foot on the cross on the floor and get it done.

My 2 cents.

It is generally accepted that tires can be sold as "Fresh", if they are within 3 years of production. That's because tire manufacturers store tires under proper conditions. Most tire shops do too - and Tire Rack is one of those.

This is because tires age very slowly when properly stored.

Even tires that are 6 years old are nominally considered good (when properly stored), but it is common for tire manufacturers to offer discounts on older tires to make sure they get sold quickly. It's good that Tire Rack labels these older tires.

And one last note: Tire Rack is not one of those that buys up old stock. If I had to point out a dealer that does, it would be Les Schwab (although to be factual, they buy up bargains, which isn't exactly the same thing.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino

frown.gif

I haven't mounted mine. You can just put your foot on the cross on the floor and get it done.

When I had mine, I could do 60 series tires without the changer being mounted to the ground but anything lower was really hard. In my first house, I drilled into the concrete and put mounts down to bolt it to, but when I moved I didn't want to drill the nice newer concrete in the garage so I attached it to a pallet and stood on the pallet. At 230lbs, that was enough to keep it from moving around.

My Car uses 60 series for the summer tires, 65 for winter. My Jeep uses 85 series - lots of sidewall there.

For redhat - these are the winter wheels. Yes, my car is in the scrap line of the junkyard ...

418182_603501667683_1250482528_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back