2 Westinghouse's = Junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 55 inch 4k Westinghouse back in Nov 2017, came home last night to a red light only. Tried every reset procedure and tested the power button. Pretty sure the main board is bad but can't find one. 17063 is the version but can only find the 17053, and the pictures isn't reliable. The ones that look similar of the 17053 are around $80.. not sure if it's worth it. Might put it down the basement and keep searching for a main board. Looking at replacements from Costco and those have a 5 year warranty.

2 Westinghouse is 32 inch for the boys room, bought have in December. Already has a line through it. Going attempt a warranty on this one. Between tires and TV's got taught a lesson on cheap products.

Too bad Westinghouse does not exist as the company it used to be they simply put their name on the cheapest Chinese garbage they can find

Originally Posted by tomcat27
Too bad Westinghouse does not exist as the company it used to be they simply put their name on the cheapest Chinese garbage they can find

Like the original Westinghouse where Tesla worked …

Company has long been chopped into pieces and then sliced and diced some more …

Unfortunate, fortunately tv's are getting more inexpensive.

walmart has a scepter brand for $179 50"

60" hisense with built in roku for $329

Originally Posted by Eric Smith
Bought a 55 inch 4k Westinghouse back in Nov 2017, came home last night to a red light only. .

Did you purchase the TV using a credit card that doubles the mfr. warranty?

Originally Posted by Rand

The key to that is the refresh rate. I was planning on replacing the Westinghouse eventually because of the lousy refresh but not quite that soon.

Originally Posted by NothingNew
Bought a 55 inch 4k Westinghouse back in Nov 2017, came home last night to a red light only. .

Nope but when we buy the new one with the Citi card it will.

My mom leaves her TV on 24/7 and needs it for company. I bought her a Scepter from walmart due to the great reviews and cheap price. it lasted about 3 days and went solid black. I looked at reviews for about 3 days before buying..so i took it back to walmart and there was a Sanyo same size for about the same price.. I dont think its even listed on the website.

2 years later its still rock solid.

I have 2 Vizios in my house along with Vizio home theater... worth every penny. Her Sanyo was alot cheaper and her picture isnt as nice as mine though.

I have my 40" Samsung and happy with it after incessant fiddling with the picture controls.

Made it through a handful of brown outs and shorted high voltage lines from tree branches.

TV's are very inexpensive compared to the 1960's -2000's.

My Panasonic 19" cost me ~ $349 in the mid 80's.

My Panasonic 32" flat tube, monitor grade w/ S-Video input, cost $999 on the early 90's.

Just replaced that heavy beast with the Samsung 3 years ago! I sized the Samsung to have the same picture height but with the added width for the 1920 pixels of 16:9 v. 4:3 tube TV.

When i came home with the Samsung LCD, My wife said, "Wait! I'll give you a hand bringing in the new TV! I said, "No Hay Problema" as I carried it in with three fingers of my right hand.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
My mom leaves her TV on 24/7 and needs it for company. I bought her a Scepter from walmart due to the great reviews and cheap price. it lasted about 3 days and went solid black. I looked at reviews for about 3 days before buying..so i took it back to walmart and there was a Sanyo same size for about the same price.. I dont think its even listed on the website.

2 years later its still rock solid.

I have 2 Vizios in my house along with Vizio home theater... worth every penny. Her Sanyo was alot cheaper and her picture isnt as nice as mine though.

We have a variety of TVs at work and for the most part the big names last a long time. And those run 24x7.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I have my 40" Samsung and happy with it after incessant fiddling with the picture controls.

Made it through a handful of brown outs and shorted high voltage lines from tree branches.

TV's are very inexpensive compared to the 1960's -2000's.

My Panasonic 19" cost me ~ $349 in the mid 80's.

My Panasonic 32" flat tube, monitor grade w/ S-Video input, cost $999 on the early 90's.

Just replaced that heavy beast with the Samsung 3 years ago! I sized the Samsung to have the same picture height but with the added width for the 1920 pixels of 16:9 v. 4:3 tube TV.

When i came home with the Samsung LCD, My wife said, "Wait! I'll give you a hand bringing in the new TV! I said, "No Hay Problema" as I carried it in with three fingers of my right hand.

If my wife lets me get the new OLED I think my 7 year old could carry it one handed. On the other hand the first flat screen in 07 was a Sharp Aquos.. it requires a forklift.

Oh yeah … our first plasma weighted a ton … and put out more heat than our gas fireplace …

Originally Posted by Rand

The key to that is the refresh rate. I was planning on replacing the Westinghouse eventually because of the lousy refresh but not quite that soon.

Originally Posted by NothingNew

Nope but when we buy the new one with the Citi card it will.

Double check that. Citi has been changing things and reducing the added benefits.

Westinghouse is just a label these days applied to generic junk coming out of a Chinese factory no doubt.

We have a Vizio and it has been excellent.

I have several Vizio TV's and was buying them since they were a US company. Now Chinese owned.
I don't find TV addictive enough to spend crazy money on them

Bought a 55 inch 4k Westinghouse back in Nov 2017, came home last night to a red light only. Tried every reset procedure and tested the power button. Pretty sure the main board is bad but can't find one. 17063 is the version but can only find the 17053, and the pictures isn't reliable. The ones that look similar of the 17053 are around $80.. not sure if it's worth it. Might put it down the basement and keep searching for a main board. Looking at replacements from Costco and those have a 5 year warranty.

2 Westinghouse is 32 inch for the boys room, bought have in December. Already has a line through it. Going attempt a warranty on this one. Between tires and TV's got taught a lesson on cheap products.

Why would anyone buy a Westinghouse TV? I see them..... well.... wait a second -- I'm thinking.......... absolutely nowhere and never on radio & TV!
Live & learn.

Bought a 55 inch 4k Westinghouse back in Nov 2017, came home last night to a red light only. Tried every reset procedure and tested the power button. Pretty sure the main board is bad but can't find one.

Can you do basic soldering? What leads you to believe it is the main board (17063) ?

That's possible, but a far more common fault on budget TVs that can produce the same symptom is bad capacitor(s) on the PSU board.

Open the TV, inspect the PSU board for domed or crusty leaky caps, and post good pics of it if unsure.

Replacement of relevant (not necessarily all) capacitors can be an under $10 repair, even for very high quality caps sourced from a supply house like Digikey. Last time I needed caps to repair a TV I just bought more than I needed so I'd have spares to replace on the next random TV or computer monitor... the failure rate is that high.

The thing is they tend to use low quality capacitors and if you replace them with better ones, you may never have that fault again. I could be wrong, it could be the circuit board but if you see vented caps it is worth a few bucks to try replacing those.

The main board and power supply is one. All the caps look fine, didn't test them all though. Tested a few of the diodes also. Guessing it's one of the two eeprom's.. but frankly I'd rather just buy a new board.

They're all hit/miss. Unless it's some feature you must have, I can't see spending more than a couple hundred on a standard screen size TV these days. If it's not a manufacturing defect due to cheap parts, they get thrown around in their boxes up until the point you mount them in your house.

We've been rocking a ~46" Dynex since 2008-9. It actually has decent sound which I'm assuming is because it's not super thin at the base. The ultra thin and flimsy wasn't quite mainstream yet.

Prior to that, we paid about $1000 all in for our Sony VVega CRT that I think was a 38" and weighed in at nearly 200lbs. We bought that in 2000.

Last edited:
The main board and power supply is one. All the caps look fine, didn't test them all though. Tested a few of the diodes also. Guessing it's one of the two eeprom's.. but frankly I'd rather just buy a new board.

You mentioned the "pictures aren't reliable" and this may be the confusion, but from what I can find, at least for the 17053, it does not have an integrated PSU. See the following amazon listing where 17053 is on the right and the PSU board on the left in the pic:

[Linked Image]

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-WE55UDT108-LED-Repair-Parts/dp/B07GC62JP9

If 17063 looks at all like 17053, then you have a separate PSU board. Often the PSU is hidden under a metal shell to reduce EMI.

I would consider a new/used-pull board a worse option unless it was hit with an unusual AC power surge. If it is the capacitors, it will just happen again unless you replace their poor ones with decent ones. Literally when I replace caps on a TV/monitor PSU, I expect it to last multiple times longer because good capacitors literally have that much longer lifespan than the cheap junk caps.

If you cannot solder, I would sooner pay a repair shop to do it, taking the bare board to them since the majority of the labor is taking the TV apart and putting it back together, not the 3 minutes replacing the caps once the board is sitting there in front of you.

Certainly I could have gone off on a tangent and the board is as you stated, having the PSU integrated on, but if like the one pictured it is not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back