Counterfeit Mr. Funnel

Purchased a funnel with filter from Amazon but was sent the incorrect item, the box had the correct part number but the measurements are that of the next smaller size and it wasn't a Mr. Funnel either, the seller even reused the main picture, the one received didn't even have the fancy red label that it was made by FloTool and Hopkins Manufacturing. Dad was upset because he wanted the larger one which is 8-1/2 inches in diameter but the one received is only around 5-1/2. Honestly I hate 3rd party sellers on there, I've also had issues with Amazon but not often. I placed another order for the second one which I'm sure will be the correct one.

The one purchased:

The actual one:

Reactions: JC1
I agree the 3rd party sellers are a last resort for me but the shipping was provided by Amazon which was a plus. When I first looked around on there the one from Amazon wasn't even showing up. Evidently he was in Tractor Supply and they don't have the larger sized ones. I looked more into the first one and the description all matches the one I should've received. There was a sticker on the box with the part number and made in China but nothing on the actual funnel itself.

Did you put up a review about the counterfeit? Hopefully other people take notice.
Honestly that's a lost cause because they want you to work it out with the sellers beforehand and won't even approve the negative review. I bought some GM cold climate power steering fluid for my truck but they shipped the regular version instead and Amazon was the seller. I left a bad review stating the incorrect item was received and they declined to approve it and said I needed to take it up with the seller which was them.

There are a tremendous amount of counterfeit items on Amazon. I won't buy anything from them if I need a specific brand

IT appears you bought an off brand funnel.. nothing counterfeit?
1703036623084.jpg

So AF8CB is the part number, which was duplicated by the knockoff seller.

I ran into this shopping for an internet router, on... drumroll... Amazon when I sorted by price. By no small accident the stock photo of the cheapie router looked exactly like the real one, as far as the case and antennae were shaped and colored.

You can't trademark a number, which is how we had Intel 486 chips and AMD 486s. The sequel, Intel named "Pentium", because that was legally protectable. You'll notice this with car parts, and more than just oil filters. Get a white box brake rotor and it'll have the Raybestos number, Centric, etc.

PS Amazon sucks. I dumped Prime a few years ago then they offered my $80 widget would be $75 with Prime. I won't be strong-armed by them. Have had success on eBay of all places, where the competition is actually different vendors.

So AF8CB is the part number, which was duplicated by the knockoff seller.

I ran into this shopping for an internet router, on... drumroll... Amazon when I sorted by price. By no small accident the stock photo of the cheapie router looked exactly like the real one, as far as the case and antennae were shaped and colored.

You can't trademark a number, which is how we had Intel 486 chips and AMD 486s. The sequel, Intel named "Pentium", because that was legally protectable. You'll notice this with car parts, and more than just oil filters. Get a white box brake rotor and it'll have the Raybestos number, Centric, etc.

PS Amazon sucks. I dumped Prime a few years ago then they offered my $80 widget would be $75 with Prime. I won't be strong-armed by them. Have had success on eBay of all places, where the competition is actually different vendors.
Thanks that's probably the term I should've used but kinda new to this, I know it's been going on for awhile but haven't really experienced it up until now.

Thanks that's probably the term I should've used but kinda new to this, I know it's been going on for awhile but haven't really experienced it up until now.
Well and noone should experience this, it's Amazon being shady if not deliberately obfuscating. I hope they wither at the vine.

I have been a prime member since maybe 2008 - when 2 day shipping was $4, and that was a big deal. I will likely drop it next renewal however. I think I have most likely returned more items this year than all the other years combined. Seems like the UPS store lady knows me at this point.

I used to think "shipped and sold by Amazon" was protective, but it really isn't - the inventory gets mixed. I have had counterfeits directly from Amazon. One was a jacket my daughter ordered. One was a Southwire extension cord. I sent the jacket back. The extension cord was pretty cheap and it looks "ok" so I just kept it.

For those saying it's shady, would you feel the same way if it were a TRE? Most steering and chassis components share the exact same part numbers, but you know to look for manufacturer.

What about a belt? Imagine I say I want to sell you a 7K885 and that's the size you need. Would you perhaps still inquire if it's Bando or Continental or Duralast? Yes I understand some manufacturers use a derivation of the part number format but that's not the point here.

Received the other funnel today and is the correct one, dad wanted the larger filter so we can filter diesel fuel and using the smaller filter it would have taken a lot longer and we can use the other one for the lawnmowers.

I'll just have to start paying more attention on Amazon, I know they receive a lot of returns but the bad part is a lot of times they just send it right back out. The first funnel had the part number on the box but it clearly did not match the description on their website, if it was eBay they would classify it as "item not as described." I've received oil filters from them that wasn't sealed but the same ones on the shelves at Walmart has it.

Back