[1998 Fiat TD100] How clear is suspiciously clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
...what diesels actually call for the B1 and B5 part of things? Those are essentially SN/GF-5 type lubes here in North America, and I can't think of a diesel where I'd want to run something like that.

Until recently Volvo's recommendation for all engines was ACEA A5/B5; this changed when they launched the new "VEA" engines and their new 0W-20 specification, which is used in both gasoline and diesel. That said, legacy engines still need A5/B5, and it they're diesels then it is the 'B5' part that is important.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
You are right on a part that Ax and Bx spec were merged together into A3/B4 spec, but it seems that's not a legal requirement. I have Selenia WR 5w40 oil with B3/B4 spec only, there's no A3 spec on it. I'm sure it CAN meet A3 spec, but they deliberately choose not to, probably because they market this oil specifically to common rail engines.

It is not a legal requirement, but it is a requirement from ACEA that all oils claim both A and B parts, and only the latest iteration of them. They have the right to pursue any manufacturer using their specification claims incorrectly (essentially it is a violation of their IP).

Yep, the A5/B5 thing certainly sounds right for the North American Volvo gassers before the 20 grades. I haven't seen a diesel Volvo in Canada since the early 1980s, though, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: weasley
You are right on a part that Ax and Bx spec were merged together into A3/B4 spec, but it seems that's not a legal requirement. I have Selenia WR 5w40 oil with B3/B4 spec only, there's no A3 spec on it. I'm sure it CAN meet A3 spec, but they deliberately choose not to, probably because they market this oil specifically to common rail engines.

It is not a legal requirement, but it is a requirement from ACEA that all oils claim both A and B parts, and only the latest iteration of them. They have the right to pursue any manufacturer using their specification claims incorrectly (essentially it is a violation of their IP).

I very much appreciate your opinion on this matter, but also I assure you that oil I mentioned in my previous post carries only diesel specification, for whatever reason. I've been using this same oil for 9 years now, and it has same spec for the whole time. Either the ACEA hand of justice is rather slow or they simply don't care to intervene. And this is not some backyard operation, it's reputable manufacturer that sells his products around EU and ROW. Maybe the fact that Fiat is one of the majors that actually formed ACEA association back in the 90s has something to do with this. After all, it's not that SELENIA claim specification that is unable to meet.

This data sheet shows that it claims ACEA A3/B4.

Besides, there are plenty of oil suppliers that play fast and loose with the recommendations and approvals without apparent come-back. It doesn't make it right. As a well-informed BITOGer you should be able to spot the difference between a legitimate claim and wishful thinking.

Data sheet in a link you provided is exactly the same I ever saw, B3/B4 claim for ACEA specification.
It doesn't matter really, I agree with you that ACEA rated oils should carry both petrol and diesel specification at the same time. I could send a mail to Selenia, but there's no point; Italians either wouldn't respond back or would respond in a year.

the oil also wouldn't become any better or cheaper if they did answer, or even change the labels....

so just buy what you are comfortable with, and spend your time and effort on something else...

Data sheet in a link you provided is exactly the same I ever saw, B3/B4 claim for ACEA specification.
It doesn't matter really, I agree with you that ACEA rated oils should carry both petrol and diesel specification at the same time. I could send a mail to Selenia, but there's no point; Italians either wouldn't respond back or would respond in a year.

You're right! I completely misread it. I suspect that is a typo.

Originally Posted By: weasley

You're right! I completely misread it. I suspect that is a typo.

Weasley, it's not a typo. It claim the same specification on the bottle. Selenia Turbo Diesel 10w40 oil claim only B3 specification. I've never saw that before with other oils.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back