1992 Accord 4cyl Valve Cover Replacement Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil in my daughters first car and while checking the spark plugs noticed the boots soaked in oil. Anyone ever change the valve cover gasket on one of these?

There`s 4 bolts on top of the cover and a hose,looks pretty straight forward but if it isn`t I`d appreciate any help. I couldn`t tell if it was separate from the timing belt cover or if I would have to mess with that or anything else.

Also the car has 166 thousand miles on it. If I can`t find out if the timing belt was replaced recently should it be done? I don`t know if it`s the type that will lunch the engine if it fails(interference?).

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

There are 4 plug tube seals that cause the leak you are describing. Replace them when you do the v.c. gasket. If you buy a v.c. set these seals will be included in it.
Definitely a valve-bender so keep your t-belts in mind. Good luck!

VC gasket is easy to replace on these, even for a do it yourself type. One gasket seals the actual valve cover, one individual gasket for each spark plug hole.

Timing belt is generally not a job for a DIY type, unless you are very familiar with this type of thing. Recommended every 90K on these, and yes, they do break, so do it NOW if it hasnt been done and you plan on keeping the car.

Great info guys,thanks a lot. Will have the TB`s done asap
patriot.gif

Quote:

VC gasket is easy to replace on these, even for a do it yourself type. One gasket seals the actual valve cover, one individual gasket for each spark plug hole.

Timing belt is generally not a job for a DIY type, unless you are very familiar with this type of thing. Recommended every 90K on these, and yes, they do break, so do it NOW if it hasnt been done and you plan on keeping the car.

Not only that, Honda require a special wrench to hold the crank pulley in place or use a chain wrench, and a freaking 200+ lb/ft torque. I would just spend $200 labor and pay the shop to save the headache.

Quote:

Not only that, Honda require a special wrench to hold the crank pulley in place or use a chain wrench, and a freaking 200+ lb/ft torque. I would just spend $200 labor and pay the shop to save the headache.

Thats what I`m going to do,have them change the TB`s and flush the AT.
grin.gif

Quote:

From personal experience, don't try it unless your impact wrench is rated for at least 500 lb-ft!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back