1991 Honda Civic 1st ARX rinse cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it has been a while since I have been on here. As many of you may remember, I have been an avid MMO user for approximately 15 years now with some great benifits. I took a friendly bet from another member on this site about 6 months ago to try ARX in the miss's 91 Civic with then 101K. Basically the "bet" was to give ARX a try and see how it compared with MMO. I am currently 2500 miles into the first rinse phase. I did not do any compression tests or remove the valve cover to take pictures since I did not want to pull any of the engine apart. I did look through the oil filler cap prior to my application of ARX and noticed a lot of varnish and some very very minor oil deposits on the valve springs.

I have been a race engine builder for years and extremely skeptical to try anything else than MMO because I am a believer in, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Basically meaning, if something is working or working for you, don't change it.

To make a long story short, or maybe a hair longer, the miss’s car began to get a pretty rough idle so I began to add some MMO for a few oil changes and it got a little better. I also changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, pcv valve and checked for vacuum leaks. I have also been running MMO in the fuel for about 2 years now so I know the injectors are clean. The car would also burn about 1 quart of dino 5w-30 every 3k.

I looked inside the oil filler cap the other day and noticed quite a bit of varnish was gone and just about all of the small oil deposits on the valve springs were gone as well. The oil consumption is also down to ½ a quart so far with 500 miles to go in this rinse cycle. Therefore the oil consumption has drop from 1 qt to ½ qt in 3k. Which leads me to believe that ARX has cleaned around the ring packs and the MMO did not do that. I am going to start the 2nd ARX clean phase in a few weeks to get further benefits from this wonderful product. I just wanted to post my observations and comments for others to see. I guess you can say I am going to give up using MMO in my engines and stick with ARX because in my eyes, it has proven to me to be far superior than MMO. I know many people have told me there was no comparison between the 2 products but I had to see for myself. I have also began a clean phase in my 02 Tundra but that is going to take a while to complete because I only put about 3-5k per year on it.

I wanted to say thank you to Frank for inventing such a wonderful product. It’s good to finally use a product that has lived up to its claims for once. I will keep everyone posted on the final outcome with the Civic and I will try to get on here more. It has been hard because we are planning a wedding and my father has been in and out of the hospital and his health is going down pretty fast. On a side note, if you smoke cigarettes, please stop. You will leave loved ones behind prematurely.

No I did not do that at the end of the 1st clean phase but I will do it at the end of this rinse phase and see what I can find.

glad that you've finally take the great leap of faith (like me, although I'm never a big fan of MMO) and jump into AutoRx.

Q.

I was wrong about my bias against AutoRX. It fixed my lifter tick very quickly. I thought the view in my filler was good before AutoRX...it is now sparkling good!

I am just amazed how well ARX has worked thus far and I still have 1 more clean/rinse phase to go. Wish I wouldn't have wasted all of my money on MMO throughout the years but hey, you live and learn. Who knows, maybe Frank will develop a product like ARX that works just as good for the fuel system.

In my limited experience, Lube Control LC20 does a better job of keeping the engine clean after the Auto-Rx cleaning than the maintenance dose of A-RX does. One does need to remember to add the one or two ounces of LC20 each 1000 miles, a minor pain.

Except for the fact that my using LC20 in my Gramp Marquis in the recommended doses ended up with a noticeable lifter tick in my 4.6 modular at about 65,000 miles, which was miraculously "Cured" within 700 miles of using Auto-RX. SO, the Auto-RX is a very good product, which does more than LC-20 in my vehicle. This doesn't mean LC-20 isn't good, but, Auto-RX took care of a problem LC-20 didn't prevent.

I will still use LC-20, as I think it allows a higher TBN over a longer period of oil use. But, for really great cleaning power...go to Auto-RX immediately.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
In my limited experience, Lube Control LC20 does a better job of keeping the engine clean after the Auto-Rx cleaning than the maintenance dose of A-RX does. One does need to remember to add the one or two ounces of LC20 each 1000 miles, a minor pain.

Based on what? Auto-RX has shown time and time again beyond doubt that it does exactly what it says it does. You can't do any better than that. I would like to know what makes you think LC20 works as well as an Auto-RX maint dose. I have seen too many iffy UOAs with LC additives. I know Terry liked the stuff at one point but it seemed to kill TBN, IMO.

I just changed the oil in the Civic at 3100 miles and it was nasty. Really black. I was not able to cut open the oil filter but I'm sure it was full of deposits and stuff.

Originally Posted By: Titan
I was wrong about my bias against AutoRX. It fixed my lifter tick very quickly. I thought the view in my filler was good before AutoRX...it is now sparkling good!

I am trying it right now for some lifter tick in my chev 5.3L v8. I'm 300 miles into the clean phase and if anything, the lifter tick is getting worse. I'm not concerned though, maybe the tick will go away, maybe it won't.

This truck has around 65k miles. I'll report back when I'm through the rinse phase.

Patience Jim 5. ARX is a slow methodical cleaner. At only 300 miles I would only suspect the ring packs where heat and pressure are the greatest to have been impacted. Just follow your application and results will pan out.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Ken2

Based on what? Auto-RX has shown time and time again beyond doubt that it does exactly what it says it does. You can't do any better than that. I would like to know what makes you think LC20 works as well as an Auto-RX maint dose. I have seen too many iffy UOAs with LC additives. I know Terry liked the stuff at one point but it seemed to kill TBN, IMO.

My Volvo has the oil fill cap where you can see into the camshaft gallery. I'd done the complete two-dose A-Rx cleaning, and it made a difference...the engine ran smoother and burned about a quarter of the oil it has previously burned. I continued with the 3-oz maintenance dose of A-Rx and watched the oil consumption and minor crud in the camshaft area increase slowly. Usage of LC20 instead of A-Rx reversed those trends. I stand by my earlier statement. Auto-Rx does a fine job of cleaning the engine. LC20 does a better maintenance job for me.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5

I am trying it right now for some lifter tick in my chev 5.3L v8. I'm 300 miles into the clean phase and if anything, the lifter tick is getting worse. I'm not concerned though, maybe the tick will go away, maybe it won't.

This truck has around 65k miles. I'll report back when I'm through the rinse phase.

Around 600 miles into the clean phase, lifter tick seems to be getting worse if anything. I'll keep you posted.

Around 600 miles into the clean phase, lifter tick seems to be getting worse if anything. I'll keep you posted.

Yep, just give it some time. Like you said maybe it will go away and maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back