1989 Bayliner Ford 2.3 10W30 (marine UOA)

This was the first season the engine has run after 20-25 years sitting outside. I changed out this oil and replaced it with Shell Rotella T4 15W40 and will check again at the end of the season.:)
Bayliner 2.3 at 30 hrs_page-0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron wear is less than half of the Tractor engine you posted. So this engine appears to be in better shape than that one. 89 2.3L I'm assuming is a carburetor. Are you just going to stick with 10w-30 or go thicker?

This first report after sitting for "20-25" years isn't surprising. We can't assume that this is normal wear. Even if the engine was properly "winterized" with fogging spray, the long period of just sitting exposed to the elements outside will accelerate wear when first revived.

Run a few short OCIs and then check it again.

Iron wear is less than half of the Tractor engine you posted. So this engine appears to be in better shape than that one. 89 2.3L I'm assuming is a carburetor. Are you just going to stick with 10w-30 or go thicker?
Yes it's point ignition and a two barrel carb. For this season I'm running Shell Rotella T4 15W40 and see what the results are at the end of the season.

How many miles on the engine?
It's a marine engine and have no idea how many hours total. Engine runs really nice, did take some work on the ignition and carb etc to get it running again. Always a gamble when you take an engine that's sat outside for 20 odd years and put it back in service.

I'm thinking that the boat sat for 20+ years= condensation throughout the internals=corrosion and rust. Oil change and run a season on the lake= many heat cycles=knocked off corrosion/rust in the typical wear areas and removed condensation. Bearings and bushings flushed clean. Next UOA will show much better wear numbers!!

I'm thinking that the boat sat for 20+ years= condensation throughout the internals=corrosion and rust. Oil change and run a season on the lake= many heat cycles=knocked off corrosion/rust in the typical wear areas and removed condensation. Bearings and bushings flushed clean. Next UOA will show much better wear numbers!!
That's what I'm thinking.:) Engine runs great with good oil pressure and no blowby, so with any luck it will clean up.:)

An 89 Bayliner has points? Would have never guessed.

Edit: 8.32 is pretty low viscosity for 10w30, glad to hear that you went 15w40 this time. I think these wear metals will pass through after a few OCI and you'll see something closer to averages.

Back