1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your AC condenser to see if it has a rub spot on one of the lines from the condenser to the rest of the AC system. The place to look is actually part of the condenser, but that line is near the connection to the other lines. If there is any rub spot on the side of that line, bend and or grind a section of the frame so it can no longer touch the condenser line, so it will never rub through.

Originally Posted By: ChevyPusha
Thanks for everybody's input and advice I really do appreciate it.

@ JimPghPA- Whew you wrote a book there buddy! For my exhaust I have a flowmaster 40 with the resonator cut off and I enjoy the sound its really subtle but still you get that great sound.

With the brakes I haven't noticed that problem but hey I'm 27 years old with a strong back lol.

I was thinking of asking if you are the original owner, but since you are the same age as the car, I kinda guess that is out of the question.

BTW, I replaced the plastic molding around the bottom of the vinyl top with similar looking metal molding from a Olds Tornado of a earlier year (I think it was an 1981 or a 1983 but I am not sure, it was in a junk yard and in bad shape).

If you ever have any rubber trim come loose, you can glue it back in place with a two part glue called SuperMend. It dries like a rubber, but you MUST mix it in paper cups one inside the other so there is some insulation to stop heat loss. SuperMend is tricky to mix. The ambient must be above 70 Fahrenheit, and you must place two or more paper cups together to get some insulating property. I think the wax of the cup is part of the formula for this glue so be sure to use paper cups. Mix it well until it gets hot and thins some. Then you must use it quick because there is little working time.

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham Coupe
Engine: Oldsmobile 307 5.0L V8

My mom used one as a daily driver for a number of years. I used to have a freshly rebuilt Olds 307 laying around (in the taxi days), but that's long gone. It was a comfy car!

Originally Posted By: 3311
Defy, M1HM, Maxlife or hdeo in 10w30 IMO.

What he said. I'd add Mobil High Mileage syn blend 10W-30. But I've had good results with MaxLife...

@ JimPghPA This summer I had a new A/C orifice tube and accumulator installed, I bought 5 cans of R12 off craigslist it wasn't cheap but nothing beats R12 in this Texas heat my A/C works amazingly. Also had a HD fan clutch installed last summer with a brand new AC delco 3 row rad and a new waterpump.

I have not installed a 3rd brake light IMO its not needed.

@Nickdfresh and 3311 if I use a synthetic blend oil could it cause leaks to get worse??? this car has seen conventional oil its whole life.

I'm pretty sure this is a flat tappet cam engine. Add some GM EOS or ZDDP additive (or equivlant) to keep cam lobes/lifter happy.
Tip of the hat to keep ol' gal running!

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I'm pretty sure this is a flat tappet cam engine. Add some GM EOS or ZDDP additive (or equivlant) to keep cam lobes/lifter happy.

85 was the first year for roller lifters for the 307

Oh ok, sweet. Any of above oils will work fine for you.
For peace of mind maybe check VIN to make sure you didn't get mid-year flat tappet cam engine.

That's iffy for that year. Mine still had a "leftover" flat tappet engine, while the guy up the street had a roller. Mine was an early '85, his was a later car.

I had a new R12 compressor, orifice with the screen, and dryer put in about 12 years ago, R12 blows ice-cubes. Amazing to see condensation on the key chain if you hold it by one key and let it hang in the air after you exit the car. And frost on the windshield in 90+ F weather. I was really disappointed when that hole rubbed through the condenser line. Now with R134 it works enough to keep the car usable on hot days, but nothing like R12. The old GM R12 systems were good enough for luxury vehicles like Rolls Royce.

I also have the 3 row radiator, and the HD clutch fan roars, but helps the AC work better if you are not moving fast. Those radiators are copper, not like modern aluminum radiators. And those old copper radiators really benefit from you flushing them every once in a while, like about every 3 years or so. The new vehicles with aluminum radiators seam to be fine with attention about every 5 or 6 years.

As for the center brake light, when I installed it, I found it to be annoying at first because there was some red reflecting back to me from the back window. A little 3M electric tape on the window and the light fixture and that red reflection is no longer seen. I have heard of some police pulling over vehicles without the center brake and giving tickets. But the real reason I added it is because you never know how distracted or tired the person driving behind you is, and if I am stopped or stopping I want to give them every chance to see me.

Last edited:
Good point I will re-run my VIN

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

That's iffy for that year. Mine still had a "leftover" flat tappet engine, while the guy up the street had a roller. Mine was an early '85, his was a later car.

I know its old-fashioned advice, but for a big, heavy V-8 in the warm American south, I'd save some money and run whatever 15W-40 HDEO I found on sale.

...its not like you're after 'mileage' with a car like this, and I think thicker oils just keep these cars smoother and happier.

JMO.

Good point I will re-run my VIN

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

Yep. I remember when getting insurance on that car that they went by the VIN codes and insured it as an '84. I had to bring in the title to get that changed.

Max-Life should be a good choice for that car. I'd also recommend the Pertronix flame-thrower module and coil. It really woke up mine.
wink.gif

As far as my ignition system I went through that earlier this year and did the following:

New MSD GM HEI Cap & Rotor
New MSD GM HEI coil
New MSD HEI 8mm street fire wires
New AC delco plugs #41-630

This woke my 307 quite a bit, I saw MSD also makes a module like pertronix but I didn't know what the module did or what it was for. Can you explain that part to me please????

This is an 83...

2962330_1_full.jpg

I was young, but I remember that 307 was awesome. Slow, but powerful.

That lighting almost makes it look like he has a dent in it

2962330_2_full.jpg

We also had a 1981 Chevrolet Caprice. Much faster... and much less reliable. Bigger engine, maybe?

1981_chevrolet_caprice-pic-43005.jpeg

As far as my ignition system I went through that earlier this year and did the following:

New MSD GM HEI Cap & Rotor
New MSD GM HEI coil
New MSD HEI 8mm street fire wires
New AC delco plugs #41-630

This woke my 307 quite a bit, I saw MSD also makes a module like pertronix but I didn't know what the module did or what it was for. Can you explain that part to me please????

I had an 83 cutlass supreme. It started life with a 305 but that was in the days of Chev's soft cams and it didn't last. So I pulled it and in went a 350 and a posi rear end with 3.73's. That car was just awesome to drive.
As far as the msd ignition the stock hei was far more reliable,I found out the hard way. I went through an accel coil,then the msd and finally just went back to a stock chev piece.
And where is this 307 coming from. I thought just the toronado's had them in the front wheel drive models. Were they an olds engine?
Anyways op good on ya for keeping that car on the road. Those cars were beasts. In that era the imports were just starting to grab a foothold and it was as if the American cars were massive and "safe" whereas the imports were still sardine cans.
That cutlass was my first car,I was 17 years old. It took so much abuse I can't believe it lasted as long as it did.
As far as oil goes I'd go the high mileage oil route,5w-30 if your in a climate that experiences winter,10w-30 if the temps are mild.
I miss the smoothness of my cutlass. It didn't corner well at all but it would just swallow up washboard roads,smooth as silk.
The steering was so overpowered a finger would easily spin the wheel,no feedback at all,ahhhhhhhh I miss that car.
"tear,sniffle,sniffle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back