1980's Automatic Shoulder Belt - Drive Tape / Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before the age of airbags, some of the Japanese auto makers used an automatic shoulder belt that had a "mouse" in a track above the door that would run the shoulder belt back and forth around you when the door was opened or closed.

The outer end of the shoulder belt was attached to an internal drive tape that ran down into a motor in the lower "B" pillar and there were limit switchs on each end to reverse direction.

I am trying to find if anyone knows of a replacement source for this internal drive tape as one of mine has broken on my 83 Toyota Cressida. The tape looks to be about 1/2" wide with holes in middle which probably engage on some drive cog on the motor.

I have checked with the dealer and of course they said Toyota quit stocking this item 10 years ago. There is nothing that I can find in the aftermarket either.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and knows of a possible replacement or alternative I'd enjoy learning about it.

I guess one alternative may be to purchase some type of aftermarket should belt assembly and bolt it into a fixed position in the upper "B" pillar. If anyone has done that I'd welcome a source for those parts that they may have used as well.

Last edited:
I know what you're talking about- one of the most dangerous restraint system sever fielded since it just begged people to wear the shoulder belt without the lap belt.

Sorry I don't have any suggestion other than scouring the junkyards. Which you can do quasi-virtually via car-part.com these days.

It's possible that canadian market cressidas had regular 3-point belts and that under the trim, you'll find all the holes you need in the chassis to make the operation a success.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
It's possible that canadian market cressidas had regular 3-point belts and that under the trim, you'll find all the holes you need in the chassis to make the operation a success.

You're almost certainly correct. www.carpart.com (or phoning some Canadian wrecking yards) may yield a set of Canadian-market active belts that should be directly swappable for the mousy ones, requiring hopefully not much more than modifying some trim.

I do not believe the '83 had "motor mouse" seatbelts. I thought those dated from 1987 or later. The NHTSA passed a passive-restraint regulation which took effect somewhere around the 1987 or 1988 MY.

Airbags require structure behind them that is capable of dealing with the massive forces created by airbags, and most cars of 1988 didn't have that. As a quick fix to comply with the regulation until the next body revision, many automakers resorted to the "motor mouse" belts.

Canada never did have a passive-restraint law, so our cars continued to have active belts only, for a long time.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
www.carpart.com

My bad!!!!

I left out the hyphen that was supposed to go in that URL!

Correct link: www.car-part.com

Ooops. I did that also
frown.gif

I do not believe the '83 had "motor mouse" seatbelts. I thought those dated from 1987 or later. The NHTSA passed a passive-restraint regulation which took effect somewhere around the 1987 or 1988 MY.

Cressida had motor-mouse belts very early and shared the honor with the VW rabbit of being "first in passive." The rabbit had door mounted non-motorized shoulder belts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Cressida
32.gif
Federal "passive restraint" regs were delayed for years, then phased in with 25% of cars in 1988 and 100% in 1990. It's possible that Toyota was expecting less of a regulatory delay.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Cressida had motor-mouse belts very early and shared the honor with the VW rabbit of being "first in passive." The rabbit had door mounted non-motorized shoulder belts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Cressida
32.gif
Federal "passive restraint" regs were delayed for years, then phased in with 25% of cars in 1988 and 100% in 1990. It's possible that Toyota was expecting less of a regulatory delay.

Thanks for filling in the details. Again, Canada never had such a law, and I do believe our Cressidas had active belts.

The Wiki page you reference has a photo of an '83 Cressida with the motor-mouse belt clearly visible.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I know what you're talking about- one of the most dangerous restraint system sever fielded since it just begged people to wear the shoulder belt without the lap belt.

Yup. This is how my grandma sied in her 92ish Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back