185/70R14 vs 195/70R14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I will keep that in mind. Absolutely!

Also, thanks to EVERYONE for the responses!!!

Last edited:
195/70r14 is a pretty common size. However, the tire will be slightly taller (70% of 195 vs 70% of 185mm). I'd look at a 195/65r14 or a 195 60r14, which are tires that fit on older BMW and integers amongst others.

At the end of the day though, you cant put perfume on a pig. Everything is a compromise, and the car is what it is, a small econobox. Nothing wrong with what it is.

I'd look closely at tire weight. Last thing you want to do is add unsought tire weight to that car. If you can get a tire that is lighter than oe in one of those sizes, I'd consider that heavily.

Since you are splitting hairs...

The 195 width tire will be heavier than the 185 width tire and the added weight is located in the worst possible position - far from the rotational axis. The 195 tire will take more energy to stop and start.

Yeah, but with all that highway driving 800 miles per week, just how much starting and stopping is he doing. .

Is your job paying for your gas ?

Off Topic: my dad has a 2005 Civic VP coupe which is basically a DX and I could break 43 miles per gallon but his car automatic and still has the factory Dunlop tires.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
195/70r14 is a pretty common size. However, the tire will be slightly taller (70% of 195 vs 70% of 185mm). I'd look at a 195/65r14 or a 195 60r14, which are tires that fit on older BMW and integers amongst others.

At the end of the day though, you cant put perfume on a pig. Everything is a compromise, and the car is what it is, a small econobox. Nothing wrong with what it is.

I'd look closely at tire weight. Last thing you want to do is add unsought tire weight to that car. If you can get a tire that is lighter than oe in one of those sizes, I'd consider that heavily.

Neither one of those sizes is available in a decent tire at my DT. Yes, polishing my turd is what it boils down to
55.gif
I understand the effects of a heavier tire or wheel but also tend to think it is less of an issue given my intended use of this car(flying down the hwy) as oppose to braking/accelerating(city)...

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Since you are splitting hairs...

The 195 width tire will be heavier than the 185 width tire and the added weight is located in the worst possible position - far from the rotational axis. The 195 tire will take more energy to stop and start.

Exactly, but its the best place to have it if spinning fast at long distances is it's intended purpose, which basically it is given it's a hwy commuter car.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yeah, but with all that highway driving 800 miles per week, just how much starting and stopping is he doing. .

Is your job paying for your gas ?

Off Topic: my dad has a 2005 Civic VP coupe which is basically a DX and I could break 43 miles per gallon but his car automatic and still has the factory Dunlop tires.

Bingo. Yes I get $.50/mile and love keeping every bit of it
56.gif
My previous 02 Civic 3-4 years ago would average 42ish MPG reaching into the 47's if I really tried, of course that was with my beloved, easy to obtain ethanol free fuel.

Good discussion. I'm glad people around me don't know how much thought goes into my auto related purchases............they'd think I's a nut, so I come here
21.gif

I think you'll be pretty happy with those Michelins. I used the Sears equivalent (Weather Wise II - what a stupid name) on my 05 Civic and got 80k on them with 3/32 left. Stayed pretty quiet and balanced throughout their life and wore very evenly. The wet traction got bad near the end, as expected. I just replaced them with the same tire, stock size (185/70/14) for $332 complete, thanks to $70 rebate.

Can you get a 185/75R14 tire? I only see the kumho solus available in this size on tirerack.com
Capri racer knows better than me, but I think the wider the tire, the more potential for tire noise, especially on old pavement, also in general a narrower contact patch should have less rolling resistance, but maybe not a significant amount.

Anyways, I kind of like narrow tires for the street, they are better for hydroplaning, and give you a bit of a slip angle for playing on the on ramps while giving you lots of warning when the limit is near.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Can you get a 185/75R14 tire? I only see the kumho solus available in this size on tirerack.com
Capri racer knows better than me, but I think the wider the tire, the more potential for tire noise, especially on old pavement, also in general a narrower contact patch should have less rolling resistance, but maybe not a significant amount.

Anyways, I kind of like narrow tires for the street, they are better for hydroplaning, and give you a bit of a slip angle for playing on the on ramps while giving you lots of warning when the limit is near.

No, just the 70 series. Yeah, I don't really want a wider tire just a bit taller. I'm hoping at least the MPG will stay the same along with a slightly improved ride. I run the current ones at 30 psi as per recommended by Honda. Maybe I will be able to run 34-35 psi with the bigger tires. Huge difference in ride quality when bumping up current tires from the 30 psi and no noticeable improvemnet in MPG.

That's a great price for those, onebigunion..

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been said or not, but your alignment will actually be off slightly. Just something to consider.

-Techniker

Originally Posted By: Techniker
I'm not sure if this has been said or not, but your alignment will actually be off slightly. Just something to consider.

-Techniker

Realy? I guess it might affect the camber? That's the only thing I could see it affecting.

BTW, the new Michelin Destiny's ride great! So much better than the Perelli P4's I replaced. Also, DT gave me $168 credit since the P4's didn't make the mileage warranty. So, out the door price with the certificate for repair, replace(road hazard) at $13/tire was a whopping $289. $70 rebate means I paid a total of $219 for a new set of Michelin Destiny's with all the warranty's, etc.
smile.gif

Glad it worked out for you. I prefer the more compliant ride of the Destiny vs. the Primacy. Destiny's are louder than the Primacys on the highway. Good job on the warranty compliance and getting your pro rate.

Originally Posted By: bryceban

BTW, the new Michelin Destiny's ride great! So much better than the Perelli P4's I replaced. Also, DT gave me $168 credit since the P4's didn't make the mileage warranty. So, out the door price with the certificate for repair, replace(road hazard) at $13/tire was a whopping $289. $70 rebate means I paid a total of $219 for a new set of Michelin Destiny's with all the warranty's, etc.
smile.gif

Did you buy the set Perelli P4's from DT ?

It's nice to get the prorate credit toward buying new tires.

Quote:
I am going to be buying new Michelin Destiny's in a week or so from Discount Tire ($70 MIR). Stock tire size is 185/70R14. This being a sub-compact car (02 Civic) it has a lot of road noise and rides somewhat bad.

I thought that year Civic was a compact car

Really? You bring up weight? You would better off putting your self into shape, Instead of worrying about a few ounces. If he did run optimal, or slightly higher psi. That extra load index will help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back