15k Equinox oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used one and I'm not sure what oil change history the car has had. I plan on keeping it over 200k. A lot of highway and city driving in a northeast area.

Thanks!

Anyt Dexos rated 5w30 (or whatever weight is recommended) will be fine for the OLM mileage, but I'd use a full synthetic (Mobil 1, PP, QSUD) for the peace of mind. You can probably follow the OLM.

I'd would follow the OLM off a full syn dexos oil. But i would keep an eye on the oil level every few thousand miles. They can be oil burners.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
What color?

I'll leave the keys in it so you can take it
crazy.gif

I would use a name brand full synthetic Dexos certified 5w30 and change at 5K / 6 months or earlier if oil life monitor tells you too. These motors (if 2.4 equipped) chew up and spit out oil, some will disagree but there have been UOA posted that prove this.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I would use a name brand full synthetic Dexos certified 5w30 and change at 5K / 6 months or earlier if oil life monitor tells you too. These motors (if 2.4 equipped) chew up and spit out oil, some will disagree but there have been UOA posted that prove this.

I partially agree with this. There were revisions made in 2013 that helped to alleviate this issue. They also reprogrammed the OLM to account for the oil degradation and fuel dilution if I am not mistaken. I would use whatever cheap synthetic you can get and run it for the OLM. I have also heard that the Castrol Magnatec is supposed to be some good stuff and is a syn blend. Find anything certified and cheap and enjoy your vehicle. We love our terrain

The OP doesnt say if it's a 4 cyl or V6. The 4cyl is a bit hard on oil.

On my 2012 LS I've used Mobil 1, PP, or Quaker state full syn. I dont let the OLM get below 30% even after the software reset. Have 89K miles on it and working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back