15 - 27hp engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a lawn care company and want to make sure I give my engines the best possible care. My questions are for which oil would work best in these engines. I am located in the St. Louis metro area. We generally operate in temperatures between 60 -110f, but in the fall these temperatures can get as low as 30-35f (rarely do we work in these temperatures though, we try to make sure it is at least 45). I currently run M1 10-30 in both the Kawasaki and Kohler engines. I have read were some use 15-40 and was wondering if this was good. My truck is diesel so if using this oil would be good, then I could buy just one oil type. The hydro oil for the pumps are 15-50 and I use M1 for these too.

Also, would Napa filters be good to use? I read that these are Wix filters. If so, should I use Wix, Napa, or Napa gold?

Oh, I forgot, which oil should I be buying once I figure the velocity? Also, these are air cooled engines that run around 3600-3700 RPM's

Thank You, and sorry for all the questions,
Soupy

I’d second 416Rigby. Mobil 1 Truck and SUV that you can buy at Walmart is the same as Delvac 1. But, there are other good choices too. Many of us have had very good experiences with Schaeffer’s Series 7000 15W-40 in our outdoor power equipment. It’s cost effective, performs well and is suitable for the temperature you noted and lower.

Delvac 1 is a synthetic 5W-40, and is suitable for both Diesel and Gassers. It runs around $4.50/Quart at Walmart. If you wanted to go with a conventional heavy duty oil, I’d probably run the Chevron Delo 400 15W-40. But, to answer your question, you could run any of these Heavy Duty Engine Oils in equipment/vehicles you listed.

quote:

Originally posted by HEV:
Delvac 1 is a synthetic 5W-40, and is suitable for both Diesel and Gassers. It runs around $4.50/Quart at Walmart. If you wanted to go with a conventional heavy duty oil, I’d probably run the Chevron Delo 400 15W-40. But, to answer your question, you could run any of these Heavy Duty Engine Oils in equipment/vehicles you listed.

I want to run synthetic, but I am a little leary about the 5 weight.

Don't be leary of the 5W on the Mobil 1 5W-40 or the Delvac 1 5W-40. I use the Mobil 1 5W-40 in my Kohler Command 20 hp & it runs much smoother than it did on 10W-30 Pennzoil Dino. The synthetic Mobil will hold the 40 well in the hot weather, particularly needed for the hotter temps. all air cooled engines produce when operating. You can typically find Mobil 1 cheaper to buy than Delvac 1; and it's either exactly (or nearly) the same oil.

Welcome Soupy ole buddy.

Shell Rotella 15w-40 in all kawi motors, gas tractor, 3 gas truck and all my small hondas.

Oh, one more thing. About filters, I go to my local John Deere dealer. The kawi filters are very good quality and priced right. The say John Deere on them and are actually cheaper than any other dealer around. You may want to check it out.

Hi Eric, thanks for the link to this site. I will look into the filters, but I have Kohler motors too. I have been buying the filters through J-Thomas at a good price, but it would be so much easier to just run in the Napa store and grab the filters and maybe oil (I don't know what oils they carry).

I actually might be selling my only Kawasaki powered mower for a 27 Kohler 52" Hustler Z. But I have not totally ruled out the Exmark HP
smile.gif
. I know you have been keeping your eye on Hustler too. The drive system is awesome on the Hustler. Exmark does have a slightly better cut IMHO.

quote:

Originally posted by flathead6:
Don't be leary of the 5W on the Mobil 1 5W-40 or the Delvac 1 5W-40. I use the Mobil 1 5W-40 in my Kohler Command 20 hp & it runs much smoother than it did on 10W-30 Pennzoil Dino. The synthetic Mobil will hold the 40 well in the hot weather, particularly needed for the hotter temps. all air cooled engines produce when operating. You can typically find Mobil 1 cheaper to buy than Delvac 1; and it's either exactly (or nearly) the same oil.

What size mower is that Kohler 20 on. I had that motor on a 1996 60" cut Dixie Chopper and that was one tough motor. A little under powered for a 60" compared to todays higher HP engines, but that thing still ran awesome at 2000 hours when I sold it. It started easier then any of my newer mowers with less then 500 hours on them. My Dixie dealer said that was one of Kohler's best engines.

20 Kohler is on 50" deck; Scotts mower, 6 or 7 years old. I meant to add to my post earlier that the NAPA filters are WIX, unless they've changed suppliers. Good quality filters. The Kohler is holding up well, but so far I've got less than 1K hours on it. My place is in West Texas. 100F + and very, dusty in the rural areas. I certainly do like the Kohler filtration system, both air & oil.

Soupy, there's a lot of discussion about the suitability of 15W-40 for lawn & garden equipment in this subsection. Try using this forums search feature and searching just this subforum using the keyword '15W-40' and you'll get a load of discussion.

Wix/NAPA filters are top notch and I can't believe dealers will sell OEM filters for less than you can get these. I see even tiny OEM filters which look like they are made by Champion Labs, sell for $10-12.
freak2.gif

Purolator are fine and should be even a tad cheaper than Wix/NAPA Gold.

Avoid Fram.
thumbsdown.gif

I'd use the latest version of Chevron Delo400 15W-40 which has the yellow flag on it saying something about 'new anti-wear formula' as I believe this version has the 200ppm of moly.

I might switch to Rotella 5W-40 for the coldest months if these machines are not stored in a heated area. Cheap ($3.50 per quart) and widely available. Even if this stuff shears a bit, it'll still be close to a 30 weight when hot.

How long do you go (hours) between oil changes?

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Soupy, there's a lot of discussion about the suitability of 15W-40 for lawn & garden equipment in this subsection. Try using this forums search feature and searching just this subforum using the keyword '15W-40' and you'll get a load of discussion.

Wix/NAPA filters are top notch and I can't believe dealers will sell OEM filters for less than you can get these. I see even tiny OEM filters which look like they are made by Champion Labs, sell for $10-12.
freak2.gif

Purolator are fine and should be even a tad cheaper than Wix/NAPA Gold.

Avoid Fram.
thumbsdown.gif

I'd use the latest version of Chevron Delo400 15W-40 which has the yellow flag on it saying something about 'new anti-wear formula' as I believe this version has the 200ppm of moly.

I might switch to Rotella 5W-40 for the coldest months if these machines are not stored in a heated area. Cheap ($3.50 per quart) and widely available. Even if this stuff shears a bit, it'll still be close to a 30 weight when hot.

How long do you go (hours) between oil changes?

--- Bror Jace

I have been doing a lot of searches. For a newbie like me it gets a little confusing, but I am learning.

I go 50hrs (oil and filter) even though the manufactures say 100hr and filter change at 200hrs. We operate in extreme conditions so I ignore the Manuel.

I have always used Mobile 1 10W-30 but my Kawasaki (440hrs)drinks it to fast. I'm getting rid of that mower soon, so I will have all Kohler's soon. I think I am wasting money on the Mobile 1 and will switch to Delvac1300S or Delo400 15W-40 and use the synthetic 5W-40 in the colder months. Does Delo400 have more Molly then Delvac1300? I have a 92 Silverado 2500 6.2 diesel (190,000 miles) that this oil will be used in too.

My main goal is to keep these motors running strong for 3 years (around 1000hrs) and sell them off for new. I have no doubt that 1000hrs is easily achievable with the cheapest oils, but I want the new owners to enjoy a reliable mower when I am done with them.

I have always used seafoam a few times a year in the gas and also run it straight through the carbs before storage. I have read a lot of good things about FP. I think I will give that a try this year.

I think once a year I will throw a little A-RX (another product I just learned about) in the mowers too. Probably about 3-4 ounces for 2 quarts and run 25 hours then rinse for another 15.

Do you guys think I should bother giving LC a try? I need to do more searches on it, but I think I am already over doing it. I should achieve my goals easily with the things mentioned above.

I know, I know, a lot of questions. Sorry, I am just throwing thoughts out.

I can't believe I came here for a quick lesson on oil and have been hooked for 3 days searching and reading. This is a awesome site!

quote:

Originally posted by NThomas:
Hi guys!

Im saw man on lawnsite, glad to see familiar faces on here!!

Hi Saw Man, Thanks for linking this site from lawnsite.

By the way, I will be using the Wix filters this year. I have been using the OEM and sometimes Pro-Long on the mowers in the past.

"I go 50hrs (oil and filter) even though the manufacturers say 100hrs and filter change at 200hrs. We operate in extreme conditions so I ignore the Manual."

I think that's smart if you want the most from your equipment. It's an extra few minutes each week for maintenance and maybe $3-4 per machine. Peanuts, really.
smile.gif

"I have always used Mobil 1 10W-30 but my Kawasaki (440hrs)drinks it to fast."

I am not surprised. Some engines really seem to consume Mobil 1 ... although nothing I have ever owned has. Mobil 1 is on the thin side for each grade and that probably has something to do with the consumption some experience.

"I think I am wasting money on the Mobil 1 and will switch to Delvac1300S or Delo400 15W-40 and use the synthetic 5W-40 in the colder months."

I think it's a waste too. Synthetics really have their place in temperature extremes (especially cold) as well as extended drains. Neither really applies to you except the heat and you compensate by a slightly thicker weight ... which you are.

"Does Delo400 have more moly then Delvac1300?"

I believe it does. It sure would be news to me if Delvac1300 had more boron and/or moly than Delo400. You could search the "Virgin Oil Analysis" section to see if they have a thread about Delvac. There is one about new Delo400 you might want to peruse.

"My main goal is to keep these motors running strong for 3 years (around 1,000hrs) and sell them off for new. I have no doubt that 1,000hrs is easily achievable with the cheapest oils, but I want the new owners to enjoy a reliable mower when I am done with them."

That is smart ... because a business which buys used machines from you and has good luck with them may be eager to buy others in the future, making it easier to turn over your "fleet."

"I have always used Seafoam a few times a year in the gas and also run it straight through the carbs before storage."

I have never used Seafoam but some threads here in the additives section suggest it is a fairly straightforward mix of simple ingredients (solvents and light oils) ... but also overpriced. I've used MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) in some of my lawn & garden engines ... but don't anymore. There are better additives available.

I'd stick with Fuel Power and/or Schaeffer Neutra 131 or 131C in the fuel. Can't see you benefitting from Lube Control since your drain intervals are so short.

"I can't believe I came here for a quick lesson on oil and have been hooked for 3 days searching and reading. This is a awesome site!"

Addicting, ain't it?
wink.gif
I've been here since 2002.
blush.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

quote by Bror:
Can't see you benefitting from Lube Control since your drain intervals are so short.

Odis insists that LC is being overlooked as a cleaner.Dissolving carbon is one of the points he makes.

rugerman, dissolving carbon ... where? In the ring pack?
confused.gif

I figured he's worried about carbon build up in the combustion chambers ... and I'd suspect fuel additives such as the ones I mentioned would be best for addressing that. Red Line Oil SI-1 would be another good one for quick fuel system and C.C. clean-up.

I can't see his ring pack getting too fouled with his short drain intervals ... especially if he's going to use a HDEO and their potent detergent packages.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back