14 Mustang GT trackpack.....oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Coyote5_0
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
DR3Z-6006-DARM is the service longblock for my VIN. The original number was BR3Z-6006-G when it was a new assembly. The description says for vehicles with "Premium Turbo Brakes" which is how they describe the Track Pack in the cataloging.

Yea I have seen a range of BR3Z-6006-( ) engines. Just didn't see any new ones on Fordparts.com, which I thought was weird.

Dont use that page, it will lead you astray many times. The information is not complete nor is it accurate. My dealer does not participate and dealers that do have tons of returns due to the incomplete and incorrect listings.

Originally Posted By: Coyote5_0
DR3Z-6006-DARM is the service longblock for my VIN. The original number was BR3Z-6006-G when it was a new assembly. The description says for vehicles with "Premium Turbo Brakes" which is how they describe the Track Pack in the cataloging.

Yea I have seen a range of BR3Z-6006-( ) engines. Just didn't see any new ones on Fordparts.com, which I thought was weird.

Dont use that page, it will lead you astray many times. The information is not complete nor is it accurate. My dealer does not participate and dealers that do have tons of returns due to the incomplete and incorrect listings.

Ah, well, that'll do it. In that case if they still make separate part numbers then the difference in price between them suggests the track pack may have some differences besides the oil cooler. Depending on the site I've seen up to 1000 dollars difference between regular GT and track pack engines. I have also seen several hundred dollars difference in different part numbers that were nominally the same GT engine. So beats me. I do know the track pack ECU is less conservatively tuned for timing, especially when running hot. It will not pull timing in situations where the stock GT will.

Going to the dealership on Tuesday to get the 12-8-14 TSB done. I really doubt it will do anything, but I have to try.

Originally Posted By: Redlinez
And I had originally bought the 5/50 Castrol and was told by THEIR rep it wasn't designed for newer engines, so I returned it. Pretty funny they say it "meets" Ford's spec.

Hey Redinez what is you want to hear?
State it clearly and I will agree with you before post.

Otherwise believe the OEM manual and the Ford emgineers that designed it, our internet engineers are still on Ford's graduate program.

Sorry so late to respond. I called Castrol about their 5/50 and was told by the rep that they did NOT recommend it in my 2014 Mustang GT due to the additives in it being designed for the rings/bearings/etc for older engines.
Gidagidwani- thanks for that tip. I'll look into the QS. Just never have been a fan in the past.
I had great results using the German Castrol 0-40 (in my LSX cars)and just went to check it out.
Looks like that QS 5/50 is really priced well too!

Last edited:
Castrol Edge 5W50 still must have a higher zddp level. That's why they don't recommend it. Wonder why they don't market it to "classic cars" anymore?

I'm gonna go with either the QS 5/50 or MC 5/50. I'd rather go with the QS if it doesn't shear so much.

Originally Posted By: Redlinez
I'm gonna go with either the QS 5/50 or MC 5/50. I'd rather go with the QS if it doesn't shear so much.
Ford may want it to shear. I'm 99% sure I'd run M1 0w-40 in a TP car. I'm 100% sure I wouldn't run the expensive MC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back